The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

That sentence fits the crime in my view. His reputation has taken a hard knock, but he will eventually be able to rebuild his equine empire. I haven't met a man who hasn't made a mistake and I'm glad he wasn't punished for life. There are people running about in society who have done an awful lot worse.

The next question is what action will the BHRB take now that the IRB has shown their hand.

seafoid

I hope whoever kept the photo before leaking it is happy.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Taylor

Quote from: bannside on March 05, 2021, 07:19:33 PM
That sentence fits the crime in my view. His reputation has taken a hard knock, but he will eventually be able to rebuild his equine empire. I haven't met a man who hasn't made a mistake and I'm glad he wasn't punished for life. There are people running about in society who have done an awful lot worse.

The next question is what action will the BHRB take now that the IRB has shown their hand.

Im baffled by what the BHRB need to do now - surely they just ban him in the UK as well?

It wasnt in their jurisdiction and the IRB have made a decision - that should be it.

The BHRB have many other scandals they should be looking into

Hound

BHA got what they wanted. An immediate ban, rather than the usual Irish way of ban starts in 2 weeks time. So while they can change the ban from a British purpose, they usually accept the Irish punishment, so hopefully that's the case here.

The IHRB findings was well written, no BS or legalese, explains why the ban wasn't longer or shorter. A fair but firm decision.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Hound on March 05, 2021, 08:35:07 PM
BHA got what they wanted. An immediate ban, rather than the usual Irish way of ban starts in 2 weeks time. So while they can change the ban from a British purpose, they usually accept the Irish punishment, so hopefully that's the case here.

The IHRB findings was well written, no BS or legalese, explains why the ban wasn't longer or shorter. A fair but firm decision.
Yeah wouldn't put anything past them but seems unlikely they'll deviate too much from that. Maybe no suspension and start date of ban to eliminate him from next years Cheltenham festival too?
It'd be a nice two fingers to the O'Learys as well, force them to consider moving a few horses.

Rich Ricci

I'd be surprised if they added anything extra onto it. Ultimately they didn't want him having runners at Cheltenham this year and they've got that. I'd like to hope that a line could be drawn under this and when the suspension is over Gordon can comeback and start doing what he does best but I'm not sure that will happen in some racing circles and the wider public.

Rumour has it that Denise Foster is going to take over the licence of his yard in the mean time.

dublin7

The IHRB believe the picture is part of a campaign against Gordon Elliott. That's one hell of a reach unless they provide the evidence to support this view. Do they know why the photo was released?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ihrb_ie/status/1367891076095311877/photo/3

Hound

Quote from: dublin7 on March 05, 2021, 09:31:18 PM
The IHRB believe the picture is part of a campaign against Gordon Elliott. That's one hell of a reach unless they provide the evidence to support this view. Do they know why the photo was released?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ihrb_ie/status/1367891076095311877/photo/3

Did you read this thread for the last week. There is zero question there was someone who put up stuff about Elliott in a concerted effort to damage Elliott. The Twitter account that was the source of the information (and disinformation) has now been deleted.

dublin7

He still did it though. I've no interest in racing but for me he was lucky it was only 6 months. I'd have given him the full year. His first statement was embarrassing and for me made things worse. At least the apology from the other lad Rob James was believable and probably came from the lad himself. Gordon Elliott's sounded like something a PR agency would tell you to put out

Hound

Nobody said he didn't do it!
His first statement was poor.
He didn't commit a crime, he didn't commit animal cruelty, he did something that clearly was terrible for horse racing.
As outlined in the judgement, there was no reason or excuse for this behaviour.
As outlined in the judgement, there was a whole host of considerations as to why part of the sentence is suspended.
It was not worth taking down his whole yard and putting his staff out of work.
The Brits have also accepted and duplicated the punishment, Elliott is not appealing.
Firm but fair sentence. Exactly what was required. 

Taylor

Will be a strange festival with no crowd.

Add into that owners choosing not to send some horses this year means some of the fields are very small.

But f**k it - its still Cheltenham.

Cant wait

GetOverTheBar

Lads I don't have a clue about horses but the oul boy loves them.

He wants to watch them later tonight (after they are live. Would they be on the ITV site do you think?

maddog

Some great performances yesterday from Honeysuckle and Appreciate it. Wonder if they will go champion hurdle route with the latter or arkle chase next season ? Mate of mine managed to find that 80/1 winner Jeff Kidder, god knows how.

Happy St Patricks day and good luck today. Kilcruit hopefully will do the business in the last.

Rich Ricci

Appreciate It and Honeysuckle were a joy to watch. Shiskin was very good too, just disappointing that his main rival didn't make it. Appreciate It may end up wanting further when he comes up against more experienced horses.

Had a decent enough day yesterday, small profit and will cover my bets for the rest of the week. Like many others was waiting on Concertista for a decent sum and her getting pipped at the post will have saved the bookies a few quid.

Looking forward to seeing Monkfish and Chacun Pour Soi today. The opener looks a decent race as does the bumper. Gone for a Galliard Du Mesnil and Sir Gerhard double.

On another note, when the Cheltenham festival runs over St Patrick's day is one of my favourite days of the year. Hard to beat a few pints and running between the bookies. Tins at home will have to do this year.

Rich Ricci

Another Cheltenham over with some great stories throughout. Some week of racing for the Irish who dominated with 23 winners to GB's 5. Rachael Blackmore the star of the show with 6 winners and she really was exceptional all week. However she did pick the wrong one in the Gold Cup. Was delighted for Jack Kennedy to win on Minella Indo even though I had Al Boum backed.

Made a decent profit overall for the week mainly thanks to Sir Gerhard,Tell me something girl and Mount Ida. Wasn't really close to a winner today bar Elimay which was a heavy enough loss for me £££

Looking forward to Aintree and Punchestown now.