The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

"Other countries. Particularly Europe"

So many gems in there tonight. Where do you start?

Eamonnca1

RedHand88

I see Biden done a Poots and tried to say the pandemic is worse in red states.

screenexile

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 23, 2020, 08:36:37 AM

Red states and blue states is a little different than talking about Catholics and Protestants though isn't it??!

Didn't watch the debates but sounds like it was probably fairly even and Trump did better than the last time.

I actually think a Biden presidency will be the reset that the USA needs for the next candidate. Of course he's not an Obama or even a George W but people saying he's not much better than Trump are delirious. He won't be great but he won't be separating children/stirring up racial hatred/denying climate change/decrying the media/trying to ignore the Coronavirus/giving huge tax cuts to corporations and in that vein he'll be a damn sight better than Trump!!

He'll have troubles as all Presidents do but it'll be so much better than the current administration and hopefully the people in the middle will see that!!

weareros

Quote from: Gmac on October 21, 2020, 02:06:20 AM
WSJ have a piece about the Biden's in the pipeline, will twitter try suppress again .

Have been following this weird laptop story.WSJ news side just published their piece debunking the story that Biden was involved. Is that what you were waiting for? WSJ is also owned by Rubert Murdoch, so that says something. Murdoch also owns NYPost, which is a rag by all accounts.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/hunter-bidens-ex-business-partner-alleges-father-knew-about-venture-11603421247

Hound

Quote from: screenexile on October 23, 2020, 09:16:46 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 23, 2020, 08:36:37 AM

Red states and blue states is a little different than talking about Catholics and Protestants though isn't it??!

Didn't watch the debates but sounds like it was probably fairly even and Trump did better than the last time.

I actually think a Biden presidency will be the reset that the USA needs for the next candidate. Of course he's not an Obama or even a George W but people saying he's not much better than Trump are delirious. He won't be great but he won't be separating children/stirring up racial hatred/denying climate change/decrying the media/trying to ignore the Coronavirus/giving huge tax cuts to corporations and in that vein he'll be a damn sight better than Trump!!

He'll have troubles as all Presidents do but it'll be so much better than the current administration and hopefully the people in the middle will see that!!
A bit odd that Trump supporter bringing blue/red up, given it was Trump who did a lot more of that, and Biden did really well with his "United states not blue/red states" comments.

Both were much improved from the first debate. The mute button really helped Trump because it meant he couldnt come across as just a big ignoramus like he did first time round. But he was properly behaved when the mic was open too.

He has a gift of the "one liner".

Biden was forceful and more presidential than he's ever been. For those of us who might have been unconvinced by his leadership qualities, he quelled that I thought. He did have a couple of mumbling bits when it came to remembering names, but probably only noticeable because I was watching out for them and improved on previous efforts. He's very good at explaining policy.

Overall both can be reasonably happy. No home runs, no clangers. Not many minds changed.   

Eamonnca1

Biden's betting odds have improved again. His odds were starting to drift a bit but I think that's because people were taking a punt on Trump because of the possibility of big returns in the event of an upset. Biden's polling numbers in the tipping-point states still show a stable lead.

(Notice how Trump mentioned how awful life is for people in places like Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio? Interesting how he's suddenly more concerned about them than his golf schedule.)

sid waddell

White supremacists are responsible for over two-thirds of US terrorism this year

Hardly surprising when the president endorses them

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/22/white-supremacists-rightwing-domestic-terror-2020

Taylor

Some of you boys on here will lose your shit if Trump wins again

J70

Quote from: Taylor on October 23, 2020, 05:33:12 PM

Yep.

And rightfully so.

sid waddell

You say it like you're discussing the outcome of a football match rather than the reality of what it is - a crucial battle against fascism with huge implications for the world

No real arguing with somebody who has such a shallow understanding of things

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sid waddell on October 23, 2020, 06:57:24 PM
You say it like you're discussing the outcome of a football match rather than the reality of what it is - a crucial battle against fascism with huge implications for the world

No real arguing with somebody who has such a shallow understanding of things

Indeed. If Hillary had been our President in the last four years, she wouldn't have fired the pandemic response team and there's a real chance that Covid could have been contained in China. Just like 9/11 probably would not have happened on Al Gore's watch. The world is just not safe in Rethuglican hands, especially the ones that get elected by a minority of voters.

omochain

You are correct, Sir.
But I might be able to hold on to it if they put me on Oxycodone so I can handle the pain of a culture and an economy in free fall.

Roesider

Interesting debate. Trump managed to contain himself a lot better this time around. A lot less shouting and none of his usual one liners managed to go anywhere.

Biden put on a masterclass of how to behave in a presidential manner and was leaving Trump reeling with his jabs on tax, covid and immigration.

Trump definitely tried to use the fake news angle on bringing up Hunter Biden and saying Joe was corrupt in his financial dealings which is clearly not the case. If there was real evidence the american public would know by now. There is also some other sideshow with some guy called Tony Bobulinski saying he has text messages. With a name like that most likely more russian disinformation.

Good win for Biden - should put him out of sight in this race.

sid waddell

I think people are putting too much store in early voting

There was always going to be a massive early vote this time because of the Covid situation

But whether it actually turns into a record turnout is very much open to question

It needs to be

The media have been doing what they love to do - paint any performance by Trump in which he doesn't come across as a total screaming lunatic - which he probably just about avoided doing last night - as "presidential" or some such nonsense

A lot of them are desperate for a close race

And I think they'll get it

Polls in Florida are razor tight and Arizona seems to be closing up too

If Florida falls for Trump it's likely that North Carolina will too - and I expect they will because the Republicans are expert at voter suppression in those states

That leaves the three mid-western states and there's no margin for error

I can't help but come back to hacking and vote falsification

It's going to decide it in Trump's favour