Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Superb player, quality half back, great at driving forward, setting up attacks & taking scores. Put his marker on the back-foot constantly. One of the best half backs that ever played.

yellowcard

Probably the best Mayo player of that team that lost all those finals, he really deserved an AI medal. He will go down as one of the finest players never to have won one considering how close they came. For him he is probably getting out at the right time as Mayo will not be competing for AI titles for a while as they go through a transition.   

tonto1888

Thats a shame. I will miss seeing him play

Captain Obvious

Had clearly regressed in the last year or so however at his peak there was few better man markers and great man to pop up with important score at the other end of the field.

Armagh18

Quote from: Halfquarter on January 09, 2023, 10:59:08 AM
Lee Keegan has retired, a big loss , I thought he might go on for one more year.
Probably my favourite ever non Armagh player and one of the best to ever do it. An absolute class act, total rolls royce of a player. If there was any justice in the world that man would have lifted Sam at least once, deserved it as much as anyone ever did. Always stood up on the big days as well, a real pity to see him retire and can wish him nothing but the absolute best for the future. Owes Mayo nothing.

Blowitupref

Statement from Lee Keegan:

"I have enjoyed every minute of my time with Mayo. We had great days and some memorable victories. For me, it was always about wearing that Mayo jersey with pride every single day, and I was honoured to play alongside players who were of the same mind, and under managers who drove high standards on and off the pitch. But all good things must come to an end. The reality is that I have had to rely on a lot of people – most notably my wife Aoife – to give me the time and space to pursue my dream. Now that we have two young children, Lile and Rhea, I am keenly aware that I am no longer able to commit to inter-county football in the way I did over the past eleven years. I will continue to make myself available to Westport and look forward to building on last year's historic success in the years ahead. I wish Mayo every success in 2023 and beyond. I will be cheering them on from the terraces. That'll be an unusual experience for me, I'm sure, but such is the way of life."

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Ethan Tremblay

Best of wishes in retirement.  A great player for Mayo over the years, and one of the best at it in his prime. 

Probably safer leaving now whilst Mayo are going to go through some transition, it could be a few years yet before they are competing for top honors, by which he will be well past retirement age. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

seafoid

A wonderful player and a great representative of his county. Laoch. Hopefully the next iteration of Mayo can execute the deal finally.

David McKeown

A fantastic player and one of the best half backs of my life time. Without detracting from him has anyone else ever lost more All Ireland finals than him without winning one. 6 final losses I was reading there.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

seafoid

Quote from: David McKeown on January 09, 2023, 08:44:09 PM
A fantastic player and one of the best half backs of my life time. Without detracting from him has anyone else ever lost more All Ireland finals than him without winning one. 6 final losses I was reading there.
I think David Brady lost 8 all Ireland finals - 4 senior, 1 club and 3 underage

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2023, 08:56:41 PM

David won a Senior Club.

Armagh18

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 09, 2023, 09:44:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2023, 08:56:41 PM

David won a Senior Club.
Didn't Keegan win an AI club at intermediate with Westport?

Rossfan

Best wishes on your retirement Leeroy.
Ya weren't a bad oul player ;D
Thankfully you won't be terrorising us any longer.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blanketattack

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 09, 2023, 02:56:02 PM

"I have enjoyed every minute of my time with Mayo. We had great days and some memorable victories. For me, it was always about wearing that Mayo jersey with pride every single day, and I was honoured to play alongside players who were of the same mind, and under managers who drove high standards on and off the pitch. But all good things must come to an end. The reality is that I have had to rely on a lot of people – most notably my wife Aoife – to give me the time and space to pursue my dream. Now that we have two young children, Lile and Rhea, I am keenly aware that I am no longer able to commit to inter-county football in the way I did over the past eleven years. I will continue to make myself available to Westport and look forward to building on last year's historic success in the years ahead. I wish Mayo every success in 2023 and beyond. I will be cheering them on from the terraces. That'll be an unusual experience for me, I'm sure, but such is the way of life."

Surely after the career he's had he deserves a stand ticket at least.

Blowitupref

Quote from: blanketattack on January 10, 2023, 01:41:40 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 09, 2023, 02:56:02 PM

Surely after the career he's had he deserves a stand ticket at least.
Maybe he prefers to stand than sit when watching matches.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose