Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 19, 2022, 04:52:59 PM
https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2022/11/19/a-massive-double-blow-for-new-mayo-manager-mcstay/

That newspaper are hit and miss with their stories. Would be a surprise if Keegan calls time. A regular starter and no injury issues. Mullen leaving less of a surprise.
Not surprised at Mullin but its a pity and he'll be a huge loss. Keegans been hinting at calling it a day, listened to a podcast a while back with him and he seems to have been seriously considering it due to feeling as though he's not getting enough time with the family among other things.

Probably the best never to win Sam, a pure class act and one of my favourite ever players. (trailer no doubt thinks he is shite ;) )

From the Bunker

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 19, 2022, 06:35:31 PM
https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2022/11/19/a-massive-double-blow-for-new-mayo-manager-mcstay/

That newspaper are hit and miss with their stories. Would be a surprise if Keegan calls time. A regular starter and no injury issues. Mullen leaving less of a surprise.
Not surprised at Mullin but its a pity and he'll be a huge loss. Keegans been hinting at calling it a day, listened to a podcast a while back with him and he seems to have been seriously considering it due to feeling as though he's not getting enough time with the family among other things.

Probably the best never to win Sam, a pure class act and one of my favourite ever players. (trailer no doubt thinks he is shite ;) )

Mullin has been plagued with injuries the last couple of years. It's always a case of will he be fit when we get to the business side of the championship. He's had a tough year losing his brother to a car accident. A lot was/is expected from him since he burst onto the scene as Mayo look to replace the lads of the golden 2012-2017 era. One can ony wish him well in Auz.

Keegan One of the best to win 5 All Stars, An intermediate Club All Ireland, A Senior Club County (first for his club), A great servant and a great leader. Hopefully a few more days still remain for Westport.

Cunny Funt

The Mayo PRO has told Marty Morrissey that he expects both Keegan and Mullin to play for Mayo next year.

trailer

Quote from: Rudi on November 19, 2022, 06:13:56 PM
https://www.donegallive.ie/news/gaa/967739/michael-murphy-is-a-generational-talent-and-will-be-a-huge-loss-gallagher.html

For you J70 & Trailer who is Michael Murphys No 1 fan ;D

The greatest. Forget Fitzgerald, Cooper, Canavan. This man stands alone with no equals.

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 19, 2022, 06:35:31 PM

The greatest. He has no equals.

JoeSoap

Quote from: trailer on November 18, 2022, 07:32:47 PM
Quote from: JoeSoap on November 18, 2022, 07:00:49 PM
Some of the posts on here you can tell people didn't really watch Murphy. You can name every Dub that has 6, 7, 8 All-Irelands til the cows come home, how many of them could you drop into the Donegal setup since Michael has been on the scene and they would have the same influence he has had? James McCarthy is one man I think is like Murphy that he is one of the most talented players to have played the game and he has that pure dog-headed, almost ignorant I'll-not-be-beat-today attitude. Diarmuid Connolly has that talent that Murphy has, and he could turn a game all on his own. Lee Keegan in Mayo, Sean Cavanagh for Tyrone as well. Outside of that, I can't think of many that played during the same time as Murphy that are on his level. Cluxton of course as well, and he's probably like Murphy in that you can't really look at the individual accolades to get an accurate feel for how good they are.

There's only so much one player can do but from following Donegal for 40 years, I have never seen any player, in any county, who had so much influence not only on the opposition but also his own team, as Michael Murphy. And it was every game. A 50 metre free that sailed over the bar from Murphy was worth 2, maybe 3 points with the lift it would give Donegal on the pitch and in the stands. Similarly, you just expected it from him then, so if he missed one, you could feel everyone lose a bit of inspiration or faith or whatever with how the game is going, and the opposition fans would go c**k-a-hoop over anything he did wrong, because they knew as well how important and how good he was.

If you can find a single Donegal person who would say he is not the greatest Donegal player of all time I'd love to know who they would put ahead of him. The Wee Man is the only one that comes close, and Lacey would be my third choice on the list. But Murphy stands apart. I'm obviously biased and I suppose I don't really care if people don't agree with it, I know what I've watched over the past 15 or 16 years and I know I'll be talking about Murphy as the best I ever saw play the game til the day I die.

Difficult to take the opinion of any Donegal person when you see what they allowed to be built in that county.

great point well made, you've convinced me

Truth hurts

Are the rumours about Donegal true?

smort

Armagh18

Pile of fall outs and other lads have walked from panel not just Murphy.

toby47

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 21, 2022, 12:31:17 PM

Keep hearing these rumours but haven't heard any names mentioned.

Eunan's men all gone?

Armagh18

Quote from: toby47 on November 21, 2022, 12:46:35 PM

Eunan's men all gone?
Apparently so but I'm only going off twitter rumours I'm sure theres Donegal lads on here more well informed.

God14

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 21, 2022, 12:57:58 PM

Eunan's men all gone?
Apparently so but I'm only going off twitter rumours I'm sure theres Donegal lads on here more well informed.

Patton in particular would be a seismic loss if that were to be true.

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 21, 2022, 12:57:58 PM

Eunan's men all gone?

f**king hate Donegal so hope they start to eat each other.

Wildweasel74

Any chance take it to a, seperate thread, saying we had our say on Murphy retiring.