Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: themac_23 on November 18, 2022, 07:35:29 AM
Watching some of his goals back, likes of the mayo one etc, shows you how much the advanced mark ruins forward play. That mayo goal, early in an AI final now player would win that ball and fire the hand up, if the GAA do one thing surely it'll be get rid of that rule
Rory Grugan got a similar one last year without taking the mark, I think the mark rule nearly helped him because the defender almost stopped expecting him to take the mark

trailer

Quote from: J70 on November 18, 2022, 12:45:52 AM
Quote from: trailer on November 17, 2022, 02:13:09 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 17, 2022, 01:27:00 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 17, 2022, 09:44:13 AM
Quote from: trailer on November 17, 2022, 08:57:51 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 17, 2022, 08:50:13 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 16, 2022, 06:53:03 PM
Phenomenal player. I don't know that even with the dubs five in a row dubs team they even had a better player. Donegal will probably go to the doldrums for a while. Mustn't have fancied the new management!

Don't think they did, Murphy was the best player of his generation.

Alright calm down for f**k sake. He was very good. A wonderful talent and a great fella it seems as well but you two have completely lost the run of yourselves. Have a lie down.
Obviously best player of his generation is subjective but he's up there without a doubt. Walks in to any team ever.

A point lost on some in here.

Just happen to rate him higher then the likes of Brogan, Cluxton, Connolly & McCarthy.

People who know say differently.

What does that mean?

People who know what, exactly?

Rating players is not a scientific experiment.

Well he got 3 All Stars. Brian Fenton has 5 to date for example.
This is awarded by a panel of journalist who watch the games and should know. That is as good of barometer as any.

Murphy was an exceptional player. A wonderful talent. But I am just asking for a small bit of perspective here. As soon as someone announces their retirement some posters on here can't wait to declare them the greatest ever or the greatest of their generation. Just calm down.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on November 18, 2022, 02:44:01 PM
Phenomenal player. I don't know that even with the dubs five in a row dubs team they even had a better player. Donegal will probably go to the doldrums for a while. Mustn't have fancied the new management!

Alright calm down for f**k sake. He was very good. A wonderful talent and a great fella it seems as well but you two have completely lost the run of yourselves. Have a lie down.
Obviously best player of his generation is subjective but he's up there without a doubt. Walks in to any team ever.

Just happen to rate him higher then the likes of Brogan, Cluxton, Connolly & McCarthy.

What does that mean?

This is awarded by a panel of journalist who watch the games and should know. That is as good of barometer as any.

Murphy was an exceptional player. A wonderful talent. But I am just asking for a small bit of perspective here. As soon as someone announces their retirement some posters on here can't wait to declare them the greatest ever or the greatest of their generation. Just calm down.
Thats largely due to Fenton playing on the best team of all time, it was a bit easier to pick up an aul all star. Murphy carried Donegal for years.

Anyway, pointless discussion, both absolutely superb footballers

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 18, 2022, 02:45:48 PM

What does that mean?

Thats largely due to Fenton playing on the best team of all time, it was a bit easier to pick up an aul all star. Murphy carried Donegal for years.

That team was the best because of Fenton.

shark

What does that mean?

It's a terrible barometer.
The all stars is not a selection of the best players in a given year. It is a selection of the best players among the best teams, in a given year.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on November 18, 2022, 02:57:32 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 18, 2022, 02:45:48 PM

What does that mean?

That team was the best because of Fenton.
He was an important cog in a big machine. He doesn't stand out as much these days when the Dubs are struggling (relatively)

JoeSoap

Some of the posts on here you can tell people didn't really watch Murphy. You can name every Dub that has 6, 7, 8 All-Irelands til the cows come home, how many of them could you drop into the Donegal setup since Michael has been on the scene and they would have the same influence he has had? James McCarthy is one man I think is like Murphy that he is one of the most talented players to have played the game and he has that pure dog-headed, almost ignorant I'll-not-be-beat-today attitude. Diarmuid Connolly has that talent that Murphy has, and he could turn a game all on his own. Lee Keegan in Mayo, Sean Cavanagh for Tyrone as well. Outside of that, I can't think of many that played during the same time as Murphy that are on his level. Cluxton of course as well, and he's probably like Murphy in that you can't really look at the individual accolades to get an accurate feel for how good they are.

There's only so much one player can do but from following Donegal for 40 years, I have never seen any player, in any county, who had so much influence not only on the opposition but also his own team, as Michael Murphy. And it was every game. A 50 metre free that sailed over the bar from Murphy was worth 2, maybe 3 points with the lift it would give Donegal on the pitch and in the stands. Similarly, you just expected it from him then, so if he missed one, you could feel everyone lose a bit of inspiration or faith or whatever with how the game is going, and the opposition fans would go c**k-a-hoop over anything he did wrong, because they knew as well how important and how good he was.

If you can find a single Donegal person who would say he is not the greatest Donegal player of all time I'd love to know who they would put ahead of him. The Wee Man is the only one that comes close, and Lacey would be my third choice on the list. But Murphy stands apart. I'm obviously biased and I suppose I don't really care if people don't agree with it, I know what I've watched over the past 15 or 16 years and I know I'll be talking about Murphy as the best I ever saw play the game til the day I die.

trailer

Quote from: JoeSoap on November 18, 2022, 07:00:49 PM
Some of the posts on here you can tell people didn't really watch Murphy. You can name every Dub that has 6, 7, 8 All-Irelands til the cows come home, how many of them could you drop into the Donegal setup since Michael has been on the scene and they would have the same influence he has had? James McCarthy is one man I think is like Murphy that he is one of the most talented players to have played the game and he has that pure dog-headed, almost ignorant I'll-not-be-beat-today attitude. Diarmuid Connolly has that talent that Murphy has, and he could turn a game all on his own. Lee Keegan in Mayo, Sean Cavanagh for Tyrone as well. Outside of that, I can't think of many that played during the same time as Murphy that are on his level. Cluxton of course as well, and he's probably like Murphy in that you can't really look at the individual accolades to get an accurate feel for how good they are.

There's only so much one player can do but from following Donegal for 40 years, I have never seen any player, in any county, who had so much influence not only on the opposition but also his own team, as Michael Murphy. And it was every game. A 50 metre free that sailed over the bar from Murphy was worth 2, maybe 3 points with the lift it would give Donegal on the pitch and in the stands. Similarly, you just expected it from him then, so if he missed one, you could feel everyone lose a bit of inspiration or faith or whatever with how the game is going, and the opposition fans would go c**k-a-hoop over anything he did wrong, because they knew as well how important and how good he was.

If you can find a single Donegal person who would say he is not the greatest Donegal player of all time I'd love to know who they would put ahead of him. The Wee Man is the only one that comes close, and Lacey would be my third choice on the list. But Murphy stands apart. I'm obviously biased and I suppose I don't really care if people don't agree with it, I know what I've watched over the past 15 or 16 years and I know I'll be talking about Murphy as the best I ever saw play the game til the day I die.

Difficult to take the opinion of any Donegal person when you see what they allowed to be built in that county.

J70

What does that mean?

Come on, you know that All Stars reflect team achievements almost as much as individual.

We are not talking an NBA team, where a single player can single handedly turn a team into a serious contender. There are very few Declan Brownes in the history of the All Stars, extraordinary players winning awards despite their team not even getting out of their province or past the quarter finals.

Brian Fenton would have been no less of a player had he played for Donegal. Would he have five All Stars then? Absolutely no chance.

Donegal without Murphy might have won an Ulster or two (AI title very doubtful, despite McGuinness).

Dublin without a particular individual, whether Fenton, or Connolly, or Kilkenny, or McCarthy, or Brogan (I can go on) would still have a bag full of AI titles over the last decade or so.

Tubberman

He was a colossus in size and impact.
I can't think of another player of a mid-to-top tier county who influenced their team as much as he did.
They needed him at full forward, centre forward and midfield and he could nearly always do enough in each position to get them through games.
The son of a Mayo man, oh what might have been....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

trailer

You've all convinced me. He was the greatest ever. Nobody comes close.

Wildweasel74

Trailer, Fenton can't get the better of Jack Barry, he wouldn't win much with Donegal, am not a Donegal supporter but seem plenty of Murphy live to see how good he was.

J70

Awesome! Thanks for that Rudi.

Blowitupref

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2022/11/19/a-massive-double-blow-for-new-mayo-manager-mcstay/

That newspaper are hit and miss with their stories. Would be a surprise if Keegan calls time. A regular starter and no injury issues. Mullen leaving less of a surprise.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose