Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on November 17, 2022, 08:57:51 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 17, 2022, 08:50:13 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 16, 2022, 06:53:03 PM
Phenomenal player. I don't know that even with the dubs five in a row dubs team they even had a better player. Donegal will probably go to the doldrums for a while. Mustn't have fancied the new management!

Don't think they did, Murphy was the best player of his generation.

Alright calm down for f**k sake. He was very good. A wonderful talent and a great fella it seems as well but you two have completely lost the run of yourselves. Have a lie down.

Nah, he was a great player indeed, not sure why Donegal played him so far from goal the last few years all the same, but he took some looking after on the field.

oakleaflad

Quote from: clarshack on November 17, 2022, 09:05:42 AM
Phenomenal player. I don't know that even with the dubs five in a row dubs team they even had a better player. Donegal will probably go to the doldrums for a while. Mustn't have fancied the new management!

Great player but Cluxton, Brogan and Connolly more influential imo in the same period.
Murphy a better player than all 3 for me.

Taylor

Great baller - but the signs were there - he has been going downhill the last couple of years.
Father time caught up with him.

I would imagine the new management team and their historical style of playing wouldnt entice someone to stay on

Armagh18

An absolute class act and the number one reason Donegal have been such a force in Ulster in the last 10+ years. Definitely slowed down in the last year or two though but still a class act, surprised he hasn't kept going he'd still be some option to take off the bench.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on November 17, 2022, 08:57:51 AM

Alright calm down for f**k sake. He was very good. A wonderful talent and a great fella it seems as well but you two have completely lost the run of yourselves. Have a lie down.
Obviously best player of his generation is subjective but he's up there without a doubt. Walks in to any team ever.

Rossfan

A great player and will be missed by Donegal and the rest if us.
How long will it take the Donegal players to develop as a team where you can't just give the ball to Murphy?
Happy retirement Michael.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

StephenC

Gutted to hear this, but time and tide ...

The football is only one part of this man. Always a gentleman, with time for all supporters and kids. Turned down a chance to go to Oz because of his genuine love for the area he's from. Modest and unassuming. Took his position as a role-model for others very seriously, while never taking himself too seriously.

A Donegal great, who happened to be pretty good at football as well.

trailer

Quote from: oakleaflad on November 17, 2022, 09:17:48 AM

Great player but Cluxton, Brogan and Connolly more influential imo in the same period.

Brian Fenton is the greatest player of his generation and that concludes this debate.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on November 17, 2022, 11:23:49 AM

Brian Fenton is the greatest player of his generation and that concludes this debate.
Ok boss

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 17, 2022, 11:30:36 AM
Quote from: trailer on November 17, 2022, 11:23:49 AM

Ok boss

Not a bother

nrico2006

Agreed - Murphy was better than all three, and Fenton.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Armagh18

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 17, 2022, 12:06:34 PM

Obviously subjective but Cluxton changed football and redefined goalkeeping with his ability-no coincidence the Dubs look beatable since he left. Connolly could do things with a football very very few others have ever been able to do and he had the athleticism to go with it. Anyway wrong thread.

toby47

I would agree with that. None of them 4 could have done what Murphy done in that Donegal side, not a chance.

rosnarun

best player of his generation ?
only possible if you can find a generation between gooch and David clifford  and ignore Dublins 6 in a row
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tyrdub

James McCarthy??