Super 11's hurling - good idea or bad idea?

Started by deiseach, November 27, 2015, 09:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super 11's hurling - good idea or bad idea?

Good idea
4 (50%)
Bad idea
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: December 04, 2015, 09:49:00 AM

AZOffaly

I think there's a 'meh' option missing. I don't think it's a bad idea, but it's certainly not going to advance 'hurling' as I know it.

I'd say it's a 'no harm sure' idea.

NAG1

It had the look of a training drill something that you could watch at most training sessions throughout the country when squads dont have enough numbers for a full sided practice game.

seafoid

Am I the only one who thinks it's a good idea ?

seafoid

One thing I didn't like about the Fenway thing was the big "fighting Irish" print at the back of one of the goals.
WTF? I know its Noterdame's slogan but FFS.

And the Shamrock series. Was it sponsored by ground almonds ?

From the Bunker

Hey, the problem is not about promoting Hurling internationally. It's about promoting it Nationally. We have at least two thirds of the country who have no county team (Cavan), are crap (Mayo) or are becoming Crap (Offaly). Look at home first!

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 28, 2015, 01:04:32 PM
Hey, the problem is not about promoting Hurling internationally. It's about promoting it Nationally. We have at least two thirds of the country who have no county team (Cavan), are crap (Mayo) or are becoming Crap (Offaly). Look at home first!
what if hurling in the US generated funds for the promotion of hurling in counties that need it ?
We also need urgently a Bord na Mona replacement scheme to deal with the Offaly situation

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2015, 01:52:49 PM
what if hurling in the US generated funds for the promotion of hurling in counties that need it ?
We also need urgently a Bord na Mona replacement scheme to deal with the Offaly situation

Yeah, but do you not think that money raised in the US will end up being spent promoting the the game in the US (which I have no problem with)?

Anyway it's beyond fixing in Ireland. County Boards in places like Mayo who are more interested in Football and see Hurling as a hindrance. In fact some would see it as much of a threat to football as Soccer/Rugby if promoted. So if you have the governing body pulling against the game what hope do you have?

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 28, 2015, 02:31:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2015, 01:52:49 PM

Yeah, but do you not think that money raised in the US will end up being spent promoting the the game in the US (which I have no problem with)?

Anyway it's beyond fixing in Ireland. County Boards in places like Mayo who are more interested in Football and see Hurling as a hindrance. In fact some would see it as much of a threat to football as Soccer/Rugby if promoted. So if you have the governing body pulling against the game what hope do you have?
That's the cultural problem. Mayo has the priority of winning the All Ireland football and hurling is nowhere.
BTW even in counties with strong hurling enclaves  like Galway and Offaly it took a long time to get properly organised.

And you do need a good clatter of clubs who focus just on hurling.

didlyi

They put a man on the moon before they discovered lost tribes in Africa. Whats the problem with promoting it abroad if Cavan and the likes are still trying to buy into it after 100+ years of exposure.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2015, 11:58:18 AM
One thing I didn't like about the Fenway thing was the big "fighting Irish" print at the back of one of the goals.
WTF? I know its Noterdame's slogan but FFS.

And the Shamrock series. Was it sponsored by ground almonds ?
k

Notre Dame played Boston College the day before in the Shamrock series NCAA game. The hurling was on the same pitch/ground. So relax.