The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 24, 2011, 07:02:15 PM
He can't play in the centre.

He can try and god lives a trier. Players like Horgan need to be versatile if they are going to make the world cup squad and if he cant't play centre he probably won't make it. Would you bring him along Dinny?

Dinny Breen

He's the form winger in Ireland, so definitely. He however cannot play centre, you would only bring him to play and not for squad cover. Fitzgerald is looking like he'll miss out.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Gerry Thornly has named his WC Squad in the IT this morning, I have noticed Gerry has sadly become just a mouth piece for the IRFU. Only injuries will change this squad

BACKS (Back five, 5) – Earls, Bowe, Trimble, Fitzgerald, Kearney. (Midfield, 3) – O'Driscoll, D'Arcy, P Wallace. (Outhalves, 2) – Sexton, O'Gara. (Scrumhalves, 3) – Reddan, O'Leary, Stringer.

FORWARDS (Hookers, 3) Best, Cronin, Flannery. (Props, 5) Healy, Ross, Court, Horan, Buckley. (Locks, 3) – O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Cullen. (Backrow, 6) – Heaslip, D Wallace, O'Brien, Ferris, Leamy, McLaughlin.
#newbridgeornowhere

Capt Pat

He must have got that straight from Kidney. That is the squad Kidney would pick tomorrow. Maybe not Horan but the rest are Kidneys current favourites.

I would take Geordan Murphy instead of Trimble or Fitzgerald. I think he is a genuine class act and has delivered on his potential unlike Fitzgerald.

Overthebar!

Munster getting no luck against Harlequins here today. should be an interesting last 15 mins or so.
Looking forward to the Leinster game afterwards. be good to see them do it!

gallsman

This Leinster match is absolutely fantastic!

screenexile

Hopefully the myth that we need O'Gara to kick points for Ireland has been put to bed. Sexton flawless today!

Some game and a lot of plus points for Ireland and Leinster. Heaslip, O'Brien, Ross and Healy were all immense! Well played Leinster and best of luck to themin the final ... would like to see them beat Northampton as I hate that clown Ashton and would love to see him steamrollered!

Also is it possible we saw Kidneys replacement earlier today? O'Shea seems to have his head screwed on and definitely did a number on Munster today!!

CiKe

Quote from: screenexile on April 30, 2011, 05:23:16 PM
Hopefully the myth that we need O'Gara to kick points for Ireland has been put to bed. Sexton flawless today!

Some game and a lot of plus points for Ireland and Leinster. Heaslip, O'Brien, Ross and Healy were all immense! Well played Leinster and best of luck to themin the final ... would like to see them beat Northampton as I hate that clown Ashton and would love to see him steamrollered!

Also is it possible we saw Kidneys replacement earlier today? O'Shea seems to have his head screwed on and definitely did a number on Munster today!!

Was having this discussion in the pub, thought McGahan's replacement perhaps myself - and maybe Schmidt for Kidney!

Shamrock Shore

Great game! Gripping and exciting. Leinster will be hard beaten in final.

Hoof Hearted

Have had my seat booked for 2011 H Cup Final 11 months ago, 3rd final in 4 years ( have seen Munster + Leinster victories so far ). Hope my lucky omen continues.

Agree with you screenexile, hope that bollix Ashton fucks up a swallow dive, and i never thought about O'Shea until you mentioned it, great spot, would be worth considering. I wonder if any of them quins have Irish blood, they are a good outfit.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Overthebar!

few of the experts reckon that is munster done now? what do yous reckon? quins were very impressive today. game plan was spot on too

Really enjoyed the leinster game, was just another level. today would have done sextons confidence wonders, almost flawless game. Heaslips turnover at the end was immense as was his whole game. everyone played well in fairness and to think they won without BOD for ten mins. hopefully they can win the thing!

Capt Pat

Quote from: Overthebar! on April 30, 2011, 10:42:51 PM
few of the experts reckon that is munster done now? what do yous reckon? quins were very impressive today. game plan was spot on too

Really enjoyed the leinster game, was just another level. today would have done sextons confidence wonders, almost flawless game. Heaslips turnover at the end was immense as was his whole game. everyone played well in fairness and to think they won without BOD for ten mins. hopefully they can win the thing!

The old Munster team is done but there is a new one emerging. They are in transition.

Capt Pat

On to another Munster player that I hadn't really heard of before. Tommy Hayes brother of John Hayes plays for Exeter Chiefs in the Aviva premiership. He was player of the month in November. He is the captain of Exeter and was made captain of ESPNs premiership team of the season. That team was picked by Austin Healy and Ben Kay. Kay was a second row and would know what he is talking about.

I caught a few glimpses of him on youtube, not enough there to say too much but just pick up enough info about him to think he could be a dark horse to make the Irish world cup squad. While not huge for a second row at 17 stone and 6ft 4 inches he has some pace and maybe could contend for the fourth second row spot with a possiblity of playing blind side as well.

It is quite an achievement to get on a team of the season as a second row in England with all the players they have at that position.

Another player playing for Exeter is ulster man Garret Steenson at fly half. I also saw him listed on a different team of the season with Hayes. He might deserve some consideration as well.

Capt Pat

Bump before it goes off the front page