The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Still time for a late burst of pace from Fifi, right down to (specifically) the evening before...

seafoid

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 31, 2017, 12:07:37 PM
What's the point in having this vote next month then if countries are being told who to vote for? Sounds like South Africa had the biggest brown envelope to me.
It is probably to.avoid blatant corruption ala Fifa awarding Qatar the world cup.ahead of the best candidates.

Aaron Boone

We just have to go down there and retain it. That will show the Saffies.

magpie seanie

Saw there that NZ came last in the evaluation for 2011 and still got the WC. The report shows all 3 bids are good. Lets see if Dick Spring's "guaranteed votes" stack up.

Shamrock Shore

We'll boycott the semi-finals in 2023.

That will learn them!

AZOffaly

Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Pearse Stadium and Fitzgerald Stadium are 3 of the grounds that got a bit of a slating. I wonder when they visited PUC? I've seen far worse stadia hosting RWC games than PUC.

BennyCake

At least now we don't have to listen about staging this rugby shite for the next 6 years.

Walter Cronc

I think its the mass expanses of terracing that would have let those stadiums down.

New Zealand had the odd grassy bank here and there but the other sides would have been similar to the new PUC.

highorlow

QuoteStill time for a late burst of pace from Fifi, right down to (specifically) the evening before...

She was busy in Dicks(boro) last night.....

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/1029/916126-dicksboro-secure-kilkenny-title-in-eight-goal-thriller/
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AZOffaly

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 31, 2017, 03:05:19 PM
I think its the mass expanses of terracing that would have let those stadiums down.

New Zealand had the odd grassy bank here and there but the other sides would have been similar to the new PUC.

But sure a grassy bank is worse than open terracing surely? Even the lads in Meath have copped onto that!

Walter Cronc

I'm not sure if they were even used AZ.

I don't watch as much Super Rugby as previously but Hamilton is the only below par ground in NZ that I can think of.

Very disappointing and unlikely we'll get another opportunity. You can see the US/Canada being next on World Rugbys list and surely Argentina are worth a chance.

AZOffaly

I did a quick google of RWC 11 venues. Put it like this, PUC doesn't compare unfavourably. Even Exeter Stadium and Gloucester's home ground wouldn't be ahead of PUC in my estimation. I wouldn't take Thomond Park over PUC at this point.

Walter Cronc

Heres a list of the 2011 venues.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_menu/tournaments/rugby_world_cup_2011.shtml

Jeez from Hamilton down they are very average. It was the North Harbour one I was referring to earlier.

So disappointing!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 31, 2017, 03:38:45 PM
I did a quick google of RWC 11 venues. Put it like this, PUC doesn't compare unfavourably. Even Exeter Stadium and Gloucester's home ground wouldn't be ahead of PUC in my estimation. I wouldn't take Thomond Park over PUC at this point.
100%. Kingsholm and Sandy Park nothing special in terms of capacity or facilities by the looks of it.