The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

I know you have to believe you can win the championship but saying it is another thing surely ?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2014/1227/669233-paul-oconnell-ireland-can-win-the-world-cup/

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/neurosurgeon-critical-of-rugby-s-excessive-aggression-1.2060907

Carter believes an injury logging data collection, driven by rugby's governing bodies and public health authorities, is necessary to uncover how deep this problem goes.

He also made direct reference to the death in 2011 of Ben Robinson, the Carrickfergus Grammar 14-year-old, who sustained three head injuries in one game.

"My son plays rugby, he's 16," Carter told The Irish Times. "Not only is it a contact sport it is a collision sport. Squads are getting bigger and more powerfully built, competition is arguably becoming more aggressive. I think there is a risk of severe injury.

"People with broken necks and serious brain injuries don't come to us from soccer, hockey, netball or cricket or any other sports happening in schools.There are a lot of vested interest in rugby since the game went professional. The schools are direct feeders into the professional game so you can see how there is potential for disaster, and you can imagine not too many people with vested interest are keen to turn the spotlight on the downsides of this arrangement."

Carter, a neurosurgeon at Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, links what he sees on his operating table to rugby's ongoing concussion issue and references the problems currently experienced by the National Football League in the US.

"In the US there is a large group of ex-professional and college football players whose families have taken out a mass action against the NFL for insufficient care. That is litigation that is highly likely to change the game. It would be a tragedy if litigation could take apart a much loved game in this country."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/13/death-of-a-schoolboy-ben-robinson-concussion-rugby-union

seafoid

Bad hammerings for Munster and Ulster in TAFKA the Heineken Cup . More money for the top English and French clubs because they bring the viewers..the logic is impeccable and it'll be very hard to keep up with them. 

AZOffaly

The physicality of Saracens and Clermont Auvergne was frightening. Munster looked like an under 21 team playing a set of 30 year olds. Very depressing.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2015, 09:26:11 PM
The physicality of Saracens and Clermont Auvergne was frightening. Munster looked like an under 21 team playing a set of 30 year olds. Very depressing.
That's the way pro rugby is going. Money and muscles and concussion on the side.
A long way from Jack Kyle.

deiseach

I recall Philip Browne claiming that one of the things the IRFU and the provinces could offer players was a less abrasive career. Sure, they couldn't match the money on offer in France but there wasn't that much of a difference and you would play fewer high-intensity games meaning you'd be able to enjoy your retirement with fewer aches and pains. It was a wee bit self-serving - if he had the money he'd be offering it - but it made sense. I fear that the difference in money is now too great.

mouview

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on January 21, 2015, 03:29:19 PM
I recall Philip Browne claiming that one of the things the IRFU and the provinces could offer players was a less abrasive career. Sure, they couldn't match the money on offer in France but there wasn't that much of a difference and you would play fewer high-intensity games meaning you'd be able to enjoy your retirement with fewer aches and pains. It was a wee bit self-serving - if he had the money he'd be offering it - but it made sense. I fear that the difference in money is now too great.

Also, the less abrasive thing is a bit of a double edged sword. The French and English clubs have thrown money at it, and have ended up with unbelievably physical teams, even in terms of size. Rugby, being primarily, or at least initially,  a contest of strength has now moved onto another level and our players are now being physically punished when they play these teams. So the less abrasive career is still somewhat true in terms of how they are scheduled, they are now exposed to different gravy against these teams, and are getting battered.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 21, 2015, 04:53:33 PM
Also, the less abrasive thing is a bit of a double edged sword. The French and English clubs have thrown money at it, and have ended up with unbelievably physical teams, even in terms of size. Rugby, being primarily, or at least initially,  a contest of strength has now moved onto another level and our players are now being physically punished when they play these teams. So the less abrasive career is still somewhat true in terms of how they are scheduled, they are now exposed to different gravy against these teams, and are getting battered.

It's going tell in the long run for those players. As I'm sure you know, the NFL is plagued by problems of players suffering brain damage from the constant concussions. The arms race in rugby means that there is nothing to stop the sport going down the same road.

AZOffaly

Yep, and I've said that before here too. The concussion issue is going to be a major issue for the IRB, and the other professional organisations, before this is all said and done.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: deiseach on January 21, 2015, 04:56:24 PM
The arms race in rugby means that there is nothing to stop the sport going down the same road.
Unless you impose some sort of quota on teams where they're only allowed have 3 players over 15 stone on the field at any one time?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 21, 2015, 05:01:38 PM
Quote from: deiseach on January 21, 2015, 04:56:24 PM
The arms race in rugby means that there is nothing to stop the sport going down the same road.
Unless you impose some sort of quota on teams where they're only allowed have 3 players over 15 stone on the field at any one time?

I think you may have to look at some sort of protection in terms of pads. Or else really penalise tackles which are not really tackles at all, but are more like collisions.

JoG2

Quote from: mouview on January 21, 2015, 04:49:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 21, 2015, 03:12:56 PM
This is not good news for the Irish team either

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/alan-quinlan-crushing-defeat-shows-the-huge-task-now-facing-munster-1.2072906

A hedge on Ireland not winning too many 6-nation matches could be a good bet.

go for it. I'll be betting on them winning the hoorin' thing. France and England at home.

screenexile

Quote from: JoG2 on January 21, 2015, 05:04:54 PM
Quote from: mouview on January 21, 2015, 04:49:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 21, 2015, 03:12:56 PM
This is not good news for the Irish team either

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/alan-quinlan-crushing-defeat-shows-the-huge-task-now-facing-munster-1.2072906

A hedge on Ireland not winning too many 6-nation matches could be a good bet.

go for it. I'll be betting on them winning the hoorin' thing. France and England at home.

Indeed! The Provinces may be struggling but put them all together and Ireland still have a serious team who are rightly up there for the 6 nations... There's only 0.75 between us and England. Having them at home is a huge advantage for us but then what France team will turn up??