Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 19, 2019, 08:37:52 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49749851

Over the top PC?

Dont know the answer - but is it seen as disrespectful/racist if someone dresses up and puts make up on depicting them as white?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on September 19, 2019, 08:42:49 AM

Over the top PC?

Dont know the answer - but is it seen as disrespectful/racist if someone dresses up and puts make up on depicting them as white?

I went to a Halloween party in a very popular nite club in Belfast with my long time best friend (who's black) with darkening makeup on. There was no offence made at the time or ever brought up since. It was around 93/94 though and in looking back now I was probably wrong, but feck he help put the stuff on ffs!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TabClear

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 19, 2019, 08:48:22 AM

Over the top PC?

I went to a Halloween party in a very popular nite club in Belfast with my long time best friend (who's black) with darkening makeup on. There was no offence made at the time or ever brought up since. It was around 93/94 though and in looking back now I was probably wrong, but feck he help put the stuff on ffs!

Just my opinion but I personally think this is over the top nonsense. Its a fancy dress party FFS. You are trying to look like someone you are not. I actually think its damaging and the furore people make over it only increases tension.

tbrick18

Quote from: TabClear on September 19, 2019, 10:09:01 AM

Over the top PC?

Just my opinion but I personally think this is over the top nonsense. Its a fancy dress party FFS. You are trying to look like someone you are not. I actually think its damaging and the furore people make over it only increases tension.

Yeah I'd agree with that.
I've done it. I know plenty who have dressed up as women for Fancy dress...is that sexist? Or is comedic?
Must have been a slow news day.

TabClear

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 19, 2019, 10:12:19 AM
Quote from: TabClear on September 19, 2019, 10:09:01 AM

Over the top PC?

Yeah I'd agree with that.
I've done it. I know plenty who have dressed up as women for Fancy dress...is that sexist? Or is comedic?
Must have been a slow news day.

The problem is that I dont think that is the case. Things like this always seem to attract way more attention from the media than they ever should. I know its generally the tabloids but still. Prince 'Arry should get his Adolf costume out of storage and give them something to really get excited about!

HiMucker

Folks, I would have once thought the same as yourselves. Go out and educate yourselves on the subject, there is plenty of info out there. It is completely different from dressing up as a woman, or as someone said putting makeup on to be white. Blackface has a long documented history of being used as a way to systematically humiliate and denigrate different ethnic minorities, particularly black people in the USA. Try to see it from their POV when looking at an incident like this. I am not trying to preach to anyone, as like I said I once thought the very same, and I accept that a lot of these incidents did not have racist intentions at their heart. However if calling them out and publicizing them helps to educate people about the sensitivities of different cultures and people, then that can only be a good thing. Irish people should be more understanding than most given our history and experience of discrimination.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HiMucker on September 19, 2019, 10:48:04 AM
Folks, I would have once thought the same as yourselves. Go out and educate yourselves on the subject, there is plenty of info out there. It is completely different from dressing up as a woman, or as someone said putting makeup on to be white. Blackface has a long documented history of being used as a way to systematically humiliate and denigrate different ethnic minorities, particularly black people in the USA. Try to see it from their POV when looking at an incident like this. I am not trying to preach to anyone, as like I said I once thought the very same, and I accept that a lot of these incidents did not have racist intentions at their heart. However if calling them out and publicizing them helps to educate people about the sensitivities of different cultures and people, then that can only be a good thing. Irish people should be more understanding than most given our history and experience of discrimination.

It was 20 years ago. He was at college!  If someone went out tomorrow and did it then absolutely no sympathy for him/her. I heard the leader of some party in Canada on the radio and he went to town on him! As if he did it yesterday

HiMucker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 19, 2019, 10:52:44 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on September 19, 2019, 10:48:04 AM

It was 20 years ago. He was at college!  If someone went out tomorrow and did it then absolutely no sympathy for him/her. I heard the leader of some party in Canada on the radio and he went to town on him! As if he did it yesterday
Shock horror opposition politician making a meal out of it. Look, its no surprise that this was publicized as in this day and age its extremely newsworthy, but I think Trudeau has responded in the correct way.

And I was specifically posting in response to people seeing it as no big deal regardless of when it happened, or comparing to other forms of dressing up. There is a clear difference, and all the info on why that is, is out there.

"I've done it. I know plenty who have dressed up as women for Fancy dress...is that sexist? Or is comedic?"

"Dont know the answer - but is it seen as disrespectful/racist if someone dresses up and puts make up on depicting them as white?"

"Just my opinion but I personally think this is over the top nonsense. Its a fancy dress party FFS. You are trying to look like someone you are not."

Jell 0 Biafra

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=19th+century+blackface+images&FORM=HDRSC2

Here's a bing search for 19th century blackface images.  Scroll down and have a look at how blackface was used to portray black people (obviously this continued into the twentieth century). This went, at the time, hand in hand with the KKK being an immense political force, violence, lynchings, and other attempts to stop blacks from voting, and science departments in universities like Yale having Eugenics scientists publishing on how black people were actually a different species. Literally subhuman.  The imagery helped establish this idea in the public consciousness.

Taken outside of historical context, would there be anything wrong with using makeup to pretend you're a different race? No, but once you have that social context, things look very different.

Dire Ear

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ntma-sells-500m-of-treasury-bills-in-auction-1.4023685
"The National Treasury Management Agency has raised €500 million through an auction of treasury bills.
The sale received total bids of €1.985 billion, some 3.97 times the amount on offer. The bills have a maturity of 12 months and were sold at a yield of minus 0.55 per cent.!

Ireland has a national debt of EUR 205 billion
It hasn't a notion of paying it all back
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on September 19, 2019, 01:34:57 PM

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ntma-sells-500m-of-treasury-bills-in-auction-1.4023685
"The National Treasury Management Agency has raised €500 million through an auction of treasury bills.
The sale received total bids of €1.985 billion, some 3.97 times the amount on offer. The bills have a maturity of 12 months and were sold at a yield of minus 0.55 per cent.!

Ireland has a national debt of EUR 205 billion
It hasn't a notion of paying it all back

Well if they issued 37,000 billion at this interest rate they'd clear the national debt.
Changed times on a decade ago, all the same.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B