Christy Dignam RIP

Started by From the Bunker, June 13, 2023, 09:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

There are probably not enough Dubs on to have a total love in.
I'm not Christy's biggest fan. But i get the cult status that he held.
I get the emotion in songs. The connection with his audience.
And he could sing the phonebook and make it sound good.

tonto1888

Louther

One of the most distinctive voices in Irish Music. A person who carried themselves so well considering all that he carried himself and the horrific abuse he suffered.

An amazing band to see live, from the chaotic gigs in the 90s to the big gigs in the Point and more  reserved gigs in recent years where his health was clearly suffering but he continued to perform as it was what he lived for.

Covid robbed me of seeing him one more time as him and Goff where to tour just as covid took hold and he never made it back on the road.

Will miss stage presence and voice. RIP Christy.

gerrykeegan

Saw Aslan a rake of times when I was younger. They were excellent live. He lived around the corner from me and I'd have met him in the local shop loads of times. Very friendly to everyone. He drove a white 2 seater Merc which stood out. He sang to the local neighbours during lockdown which must have been cool. Was listening to them this morning when out running. He fought to the bitter end.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

mrdeeds

Got to see Aslan twice. They played my Fresher Ball in UCD and saw them at a venue near me. Brilliant live. There was a tragic incident near me at a gig back in 90s where a patron after been ejected from gig got his car and killed the bouncer running him over.

Itchy

RIP, seemed like this was coming for a long time but to be fair to him he kept fighting
What do ye think of the like of Varadkar and Martin with big Eulogies on twitter, the man couldn't stand them and it seems only a year ago had a right go at Varadkar. Maybe they'd be better to say nothing but suppose they are shameless those two.

Tubberman

Quote from: Itchy on June 14, 2023, 06:15:57 PM
RIP, seemed like this was coming for a long time but to be fair to him he kept fighting
What do ye think of the like of Varadkar and Martin with big Eulogies on twitter, the man couldn't stand them and it seems only a year ago had a right go at Varadkar. Maybe they'd be better to say nothing but suppose they are shameless those two.

If they're asked about him, what can they do? they can hardly say they have nothing to say about him.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Itchy

Quote from: Tubberman on June 14, 2023, 06:25:07 PM

If they're asked about him, what can they do? they can hardly say they have nothing to say about him.

They posted it on twitter, it wasn't on a tv/radio interview

Gmac

Quote from: Itchy on June 14, 2023, 07:03:18 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on June 14, 2023, 06:25:07 PM

They posted it on twitter, it wasn't on a tv/radio interview
like christy sang everyone down the graveyard votes the same .

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-style/people/2023/06/15/memories-of-christy-dignam-i-had-the-good-fortune-to-teach-christy-in-4th-class-in-1967/

I was very fortunate that my first appointment as a teacher in 1967 was in St Fergal's boys' national school. Finglas was one of the most socially deprived areas in Dublin making the news for all the wrong reasons. Sure, there were some hard chaws, gougers, gurriers and the no-one-wants-me brigade, but there were also raw uncut diamonds that sparkled when hope beckoned. Christy Dignam was one of those young boys, a mere 10-year-old.

I had the good fortune to teach him in 4th class in 1967 and in 5th class for the Confo (Confirmation). Those two years started a lifelong friendship. He was quiet, gentle and mysterious, no good at soccer, or the GAAH (GAA) – "I'll leave that to youse Kerrymen". But he was respectful, sharp, bright and appreciative of "mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí".

He was full of humanity and always stood by Finglas. What a wonderful voice enhanced by his bel canto training. He could reach those highest notes going through the scale. Pop, rock or John McCormack classics were in his repertoire. Over the years he recounted so many vignettes of delightful days in national school.

He loved stories as a key to learning and communicating: "You must know your audience and interpret the real meaning behind 'How can I protect you in this Crazy World?' Isn't that what teaching is all about, as well."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU