Previous topic - Next topic

Manning18

Quote from: iorras on October 09, 2018, 03:41:28 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on October 09, 2018, 12:26:15 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 09, 2018, 12:18:51 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on October 09, 2018, 12:11:57 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 07, 2018, 03:06:05 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on October 07, 2018, 02:51:13 PM
Horan doing videos talking about Adventures, Quests and Odysseys. "Brand Mayo". Some amount of cringe. It's not the presidency he's taking over

He seems to have you rattled anyway  ;D ;D

My eyes rattled from cringing?

"Brand Mayo". He's the manager of an average rural county's amateur football team, not the owner of the Dallas Cowboys. Quests and Odysseys is even stranger again. Perhaps he's a World of Warcraft fan
who are hugely popular and successful in fundraising allowing them to compete at the top level of football for the last decade from our impoverished county rather than whinge about dublin.
Welcome to footballs real world

Should he not be trying to extract less money from people in one of the countries more impoverished counties rather than more? Brand Mayo, sounds like a racket to take yet more from loyal fans. I do agree that Mayo's fundraising from far afield has been phenomenal from a county that wouldn't exactly be known for big businessmen abroad.
Dont worry about us lad, we have plenty of big businessmen at  home and abroad. And by big businessmen I mean big as in the type with money not big as in fat lads who eat burgers. Not sure which you meant.
Another positive is that we werent found with our hands in the till like one of our neighbours!

Not quite sure what the Supermacs dig is about. A family run business that give endless amounts of money to local charities and initiatives.

Mayo have the 4th lowest disposable income per person in Ireland and a similarly low GDP per person. I'm not particularly worried about it but perhaps you should be. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/revealed-the-richest-and-poorest-counties-in-ireland-36636317.html

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on October 09, 2018, 05:14:05 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 09, 2018, 03:51:45 PM
Who cares what Mayo do at this stage

They ain't winning the All-Ireland in the medium term and when casual John and Mary realise that the hole will fall out of the bandwagon

I spit me tae out between you and your comrade who thinks there are no big business men from Mayo . A million dollars is the target for new York and it will be hit . 

It's very entertaining seeing our neighbors all rattled and over nothing really , ye hardly fear an aging team like mayo , surely not , it's high time you boys beat Mayo in the championship , perfect opportunity this year if drawn to do something you've not done in 32 years .

As usual your idea of what rattled looks like is at odds with reality.

rosnarun

Quote from: Manning18 on October 09, 2018, 05:27:23 PM
Quote from: iorras on October 09, 2018, 03:41:28 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on October 09, 2018, 12:26:15 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 09, 2018, 12:18:51 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on October 09, 2018, 12:11:57 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 07, 2018, 03:06:05 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on October 07, 2018, 02:51:13 PM
Horan doing videos talking about Adventures, Quests and Odysseys. "Brand Mayo". Some amount of cringe. It's not the presidency he's taking over

He seems to have you rattled anyway  ;D ;D

My eyes rattled from cringing?

"Brand Mayo". He's the manager of an average rural county's amateur football team, not the owner of the Dallas Cowboys. Quests and Odysseys is even stranger again. Perhaps he's a World of Warcraft fan
who are hugely popular and successful in fundraising allowing them to compete at the top level of football for the last decade from our impoverished county rather than whinge about dublin.
Welcome to footballs real world

Should he not be trying to extract less money from people in one of the countries more impoverished counties rather than more? Brand Mayo, sounds like a racket to take yet more from loyal fans. I do agree that Mayo's fundraising from far afield has been phenomenal from a county that wouldn't exactly be known for big businessmen abroad.
Dont worry about us lad, we have plenty of big businessmen at  home and abroad. And by big businessmen I mean big as in the type with money not big as in fat lads who eat burgers. Not sure which you meant.
Another positive is that we werent found with our hands in the till like one of our neighbours!

Not quite sure what the Supermacs dig is about. A family run business that give endless amounts of money to local charities and initiatives.

Mayo have the 4th lowest disposable income per person in Ireland and a similarly low GDP per person. I'm not particularly worried about it but perhaps you should be. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/revealed-the-richest-and-poorest-counties-in-ireland-36636317.html
that is sad
but that is only the people who still live in mayo
for the thousand of the rest of us the Mayo team is one of the strongest links  after family we have to home  and a few fallow years would  change anything for us.
As an exiled Millionare  I will still be lobbing in the odd 100k here and there
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

thebackbar1

Now that things have settled down, does anyone have close to full story why Roachford wasn't kept on ? did the county board want him out ? or did horan make it know that he was interested in coming back and they decided he was a better option going forward ?

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on October 09, 2018, 05:32:53 PM

They ain't winning the All-Ireland in the medium term and when casual John and Mary realise that the hole will fall out of the bandwagon

I spit me tae out between you and your comrade who thinks there are no big business men from Mayo . A million dollars is the target for new York and it will be hit . 

It's very entertaining seeing our neighbors all rattled and over nothing really , ye hardly fear an aging team like mayo , surely not , it's high time you boys beat Mayo in the championship , perfect opportunity this year if drawn to do something you've not done in 32 years .

As usual your idea of what rattled looks like is at odds with reality.

I'm not sure what to think with you , on one hand you say "who cares about mayo " in the context of we are yesterday's men but yet you never stop on about Mayo .

On another note did you see the performance of D O Connor the weekend ? He's another man you don't rate hahaha
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

larryin89

Quote from: thebackbar1 on October 10, 2018, 01:28:14 PM
Now that things have settled down, does anyone have close to full story why Roachford wasn't kept on ? did the county board want him out ? or did horan make it know that he was interested in coming back and they decided he was a better option going forward ?

He did a decent job with a poor last year , he's no longer mayo manager , nowt more to it

Manning18

I never said you didnt have business abroad. I said you wouldn't be known for it, in the way say Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Wicklow or Kildare would. Thats a quite obvious result of social economic factors, the lack of top schools and no University. I said it's phenomenal how Mayo do fundraise abroad despite this, including a far higher percentage of successful expats than others. You don't have to find offense with everything

rosnarun

I ddont think they really wanted to get Rid of him as long he way will to do the Chairman's bidding who seems to want to push his influence fard beyond the board room into the the location of trainers who the medics are and what style of play and who is on the Field . see his barley concealed barbs at buckley and McEntee and there is a a raher dubious movement going on at coaching level in the county / academy level called the 'MAYO WAY' based on some notion of how some old Farts see the tradition of mayo football ie. the glorious 52 to 89 era when  most of them grew up.
Horan should be able to manage him but if doesn't hang around too long I know the first place I'd look
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

macdanger2

Quote from: rosnarun on October 11, 2018, 12:23:56 PM
see his barley concealed barbs at buckley and McEntee

I noticed that one alright, it seemed unnecessary, McEntee and in particular Buckley gave great service to the county (paid obviously but that's part of the gig these days)

Syferus

I ddont think they really wanted to get Rid of him as long he way will to do the Chairman's bidding who seems to want to push his influence fard beyond the board room into the the location of trainers who the medics are and what style of play and who is on the Field . see his barley concealed barbs at buckley and McEntee and there is a a raher dubious movement going on at coaching level in the county / academy level called the 'MAYO WAY' based on some notion of how some old Farts see the tradition of mayo football ie. the glorious 52 to 89 era when  most of them grew up.
Horan should be able to manage him but if doesn't hang around too long I know the first place I'd look

..his lack of success on the field?

Mayo4Sam

see his barley concealed barbs at buckley and McEntee and there is a a raher dubious movement going on at coaching level in the county / academy level called the 'MAYO WAY' based on some notion of how some old Farts see the tradition of mayo football ie. the glorious 52 to 89 era when  most of them grew up.

This is such a backward sentiment its mind boggling.

If you look at any of the progressive soccer clubs in England they have a strategy for how the club as a whole should played and then they employ coaches who will follow that strategy, City being the most obvious example. Obviously they have bags load of cash so they can afford to do whatever they like but the principle is is so obvious it should be used throughout every GAA club in the country.

You have a manager who manages the U-12 team, he's like a kicking game, so they young lads are trained at that, lots of kicking drills. They move to U-14, different manager, he favours a running game, so lots of hand passing drills, U-16 lad has a different view on the game. Its a mess.

One club, one strategy. From the day you enter the club you learn how to play one style, it can be tweaked based on whatever is flavour of the month but the basic concept stays the same. It means when you get to senior you're ready to fit into the team. It takes a lot of getting rid of egos but it also means that its a lot easier to promote managers from within.
Ciaran Mac is heavily involved in this from what I hear with Mayo. This kind of strategy will really benefit the county long term
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

thebackbar1

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on October 12, 2018, 11:32:59 AM
see his barley concealed barbs at buckley and McEntee and there is a a raher dubious movement going on at coaching level in the county / academy level called the 'MAYO WAY' based on some notion of how some old Farts see the tradition of mayo football ie. the glorious 52 to 89 era when  most of them grew up.

This is such a backward sentiment its mind boggling.

If you look at any of the progressive soccer clubs in England they have a strategy for how the club as a whole should played and then they employ coaches who will follow that strategy, City being the most obvious example. Obviously they have bags load of cash so they can afford to do whatever they like but the principle is is so obvious it should be used throughout every GAA club in the country.

You have a manager who manages the U-12 team, he's like a kicking game, so they young lads are trained at that, lots of kicking drills. They move to U-14, different manager, he favours a running game, so lots of hand passing drills, U-16 lad has a different view on the game. Its a mess.

One club, one strategy. From the day you enter the club you learn how to play one style, it can be tweaked based on whatever is flavour of the month but the basic concept stays the same. It means when you get to senior you're ready to fit into the team. It takes a lot of getting rid of egos but it also means that its a lot easier to promote managers from within.
Ciaran Mac is heavily involved in this from what I hear with Mayo. This kind of strategy will really benefit the county long term

I've heard this approach mentioned before, it seems good but ...
It really takes getting rid of a lot of egos, is it worth the hassle ? ie if your u8s coach doesn't buy into the approach what do you do ?  sack him ? who tells him his approach is wrong and needs to change ?
how do you agree on the style your club adopts ? who makes the final decision ? 
If you had spent the last 15 years focusing on perfecting a running game using handpassing, how would you deal with the rule changes that prevent more than three hand passes ?

I think your soccer comparison is valid, but only as far as your u21/junior/senior teams should adopt the same approach, as players will be moving around all of those teams.

However at underage i think its best to focus on developing all of the skills

Mayo4Sam

I'm not saying to ignore skill sets but as a general rule there should be a Mayo way and we should be training all teams in that.

As for the other questions
- who decides any strategy? If it was a company the CEO and board. So probably a group of experts, most likely exmayo footballers in this case. Ex-club footballers if it's a club.
- absolutely it's worth getting rid of the egos, 100%. A smart man will look at it and see how he can implement it but with his own stamp
- if the u-8 coach or the u-20 coach doesn't do it then yes, out the door. People should be appointed on the basis that they buy into it

Again, a company sets a strategy and the staff follow it, this is the same.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

thebackbar1

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on October 12, 2018, 03:35:34 PM
I'm not saying to ignore skill sets but as a general rule there should be a Mayo way and we should be training all teams in that.

As for the other questions
- who decides any strategy? If it was a company the CEO and board. So probably a group of experts, most likely exmayo footballers in this case. Ex-club footballers if it's a club.
- absolutely it's worth getting rid of the egos, 100%. A smart man will look at it and see how he can implement it but with his own stamp
- if the u-8 coach or the u-20 coach doesn't do it then yes, out the door. People should be appointed on the basis that they buy into it

Again, a company sets a strategy and the staff follow it, this is the same.
I don't think its the same as a company, maybe at inter-county level where you have plenty of individuals willing to coach teams. However for most clubs you just don't have the luxury of being able to replace coaches if they don't follow the approach.

larryin89

What do ye make of the trials to be held over the bank holiday weekend ?