Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 30, 2009, 01:35:28 PM
Very gracious Celt Man. Unfortunately there were a number of Celts in the stand who weren't so gracious and were still roaring about the first Lavey goal being a square ball and the one you had disallowed as being a genuine goal.
Ah well, you'll get that.

Ahh yes, you will get that.  No doubt the same ones who were roaring on Sunday, won't be in Killinkere for our league game this Saturday...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

LackenLegend

Well lads, what's the craic? I've been away a while and tried reading back through the pages but got fed up. I see there are a few new lads here too. I was at the county finals last weekend. Good enough stuff, although one sided. It's hard to see this weekend being different though i hope Denn can shock. What about the minor final. Who exactly are Killan Gaels? I'd say Ballyhaise would be strong.

Did any of ye see the preview the Celt did for the senior final? It's probably the best couple of pages i've ever seen in that paper. One of the articles is here: http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/localgaa/articles/2009/09/30/391644-gaels-to-shade-epic/

What is the story with the Gaels and Gowna suspensions? Should the teams not just be deducted points at the start of next year as doing it this year affects relegation and table standings of other teams? The way it stands a team near the bottom could be saved by two points from Gowna while another team who Gowna beat earlier may go down. Doesn't seem just does it? I know it didn't help Ballyhaise before when Ballinagh got suspended.

Timmmmy!

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: LackenLegend on September 30, 2009, 11:24:13 PM
Well lads, what's the craic? I've been away a while and tried reading back through the pages but got fed up. I see there are a few new lads here too. I was at the county finals last weekend. Good enough stuff, although one sided. It's hard to see this weekend being different though i hope Denn can shock. What about the minor final. Who exactly are Killan Gaels? I'd say Ballyhaise would be strong.

Did any of ye see the preview the Celt did for the senior final? It's probably the best couple of pages i've ever seen in that paper. One of the articles is here: http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/localgaa/articles/2009/09/30/391644-gaels-to-shade-epic/

What is the story with the Gaels and Gowna suspensions? Should the teams not just be deducted points at the start of next year as doing it this year affects relegation and table standings of other teams? The way it stands a team near the bottom could be saved by two points from Gowna while another team who Gowna beat earlier may go down. Doesn't seem just does it? I know it didn't help Ballyhaise before when Ballinagh got suspended.

Would it not be better to deduct them points this year and make them play their games so that nobody else is affected directly?

put-it-up

I heard Terry Hyland has been offered the U21 job as well as becoming a selector with the seniors. Not 100% sure but would be fairly confident the person that i was talking too knows what they are on about.

BallyhaiseMan

Terry is a good manager,and he would make a good job of the under 21's if hes given access to all the players,which im not hopeful is going to happen  >:(
If Carr doesnt backtrack on this,im expecting another first round exit for the under 21's

anglocelt39

Bloody hell I come back after a few days away to see the board turn into a cross between Eastenders and the Graham Norton show. Boojangles, check out the full lyrics of the little ditty Monsieur Pain was dedicating to you. Now I like to think of myself as a broadminded sort but it may be a case of put the deadlocks on the door around Drumalee tonight. Pain, yer one quare hawk.

Thanks for the times
That youve given me
The memories are all in my mind
And now that weve come
To the end of our rainbow
Theres something
I must say out loud
Youre once, twice
Three times a lady
Yes youre once twice
Three times a lady

And I love you
When we are together
The moments I cherish

With every beat of my heart
To touch you to hold you
To feel you to need you
Theres nothing to keep us apart
Youre once twice
Three times a lady
And I love you
I love you
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

boojangles

Quote from: anglocelt39 on October 01, 2009, 08:40:58 PM

Bloody hell I come back after a few days away to see the board turn into a cross between Eastenders and the Graham Norton show. Boojangles, check out the full lyrics of the little ditty Monsieur Pain was dedicating to you. Now I like to think of myself as a broadminded sort but it may be a case of put the deadlocks on the door around Drumalee tonight. Pain, yer one quare hawk.

Thanks for the times
That youve given me
The memories are all in my mind
And now that weve come
To the end of our rainbow
Theres something
I must say out loud
Youre once, twice
Three times a lady
Yes youre once twice
Three times a lady

And I love you
When we are together
The moments I cherish

With every beat of my heart
To touch you to hold you
To feel you to need you
Theres nothing to keep us apart
Youre once twice
Three times a lady
And I love you
I love you

Mr Pain knows where my fixed abode is ( isnt that right Mr Pain?)  so if he feels that strongly about me then he can come pay me a visit.I will try to let him down gently.  Maybe he can sing me his other Hit.

I know what I want and I want it now,I want you, cos Im Mr Pain.

And who said there was no Gays in the GAA!!!  God what will Space Rabbitt say!!

Celt_Man

2009 Football Rankings
Thursday, 1 October 2009 17:43

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/gaa2009.html

by James McMahon

It's time for reflection now that the dust has settled. From those who frequent the many GAA function rooms, to the carefully parsed and analysed reflections of 'yer man' on the bar stool, while not forgetting the taxi drivers and the scribes, many opinions will abound as to the quality on offer from May to September.

It certainly was a season that ended with unlikely champions. That may sound a little far-fetched now, but for long periods of the summer, Kerry seemed to wallow in a mire of discontent. Their supporters turned up in Tullamore on 26 July for their qualifier match against Antrim to witness a wake for this current squad.

After that was the expected funeral on the August Bank Holiday Monday when Dublin, who saw off Kildare in a cracking Leinster final, were tipped by many to push on and leave a Kerry rabble in their slipstream. How did we get it so wrong? We should have known that the Kingdom with the sun on their backs at Headquarters in August would be a different animal. Yet, we refused to believe in their powers of recovery.

The Dubs certainly felt the force of the new found venom, as O'Connor's side ripped them to pieces - leaving Pat Gilroy to label his team 'startled earwigs.'

Kerry's All-Ireland success, and the manner in which they achieved it, was very much against type. If anything, Cork played the best football of the Championship, while Tyrone, in cruise control for most of the summer, found that the Rebel cause had a greater engine come the last four.

Division 4 teams enjoyed some fruitful days with Antrim reaching the Ulster final, Wicklow winning three Championship games; Sligo nearly sneaking past Kerry in Tralee and Limerick, who will be in the bottom tier in 2010, just running out of gas against Cork in the Munster final.

They were those like Wexford and Westmeath, who hit rock bottom in '09, while Meath found something within to rise above the nadir of their previous campaign. Mayo and Galway will feel as if they underachieved, and then there were those counties stuck in first gear - Laois, Down, Armagh, Fermanagh and Cavan - while others remained in neutral and sadly do not appear to be going anywhere fast.

In any event, here's the list -

1 Kerry:
2 Cork:
3 Tyrone:
4 Kildare:
5 Dublin:
6 Mayo:
7 Meath:
8 Galway:
9 Donegal:
10 Limerick
11 Antrim:
12 Wicklow:
13 Derry
14 Sligo
15 Down
16 Monaghan
17 Tipperary
18 Laois
19 Roscommon
20 Longford
21 Armagh
22 Louth:
23 Fermanagh
24 Cavan
25 Westmeath
26 Wexford
27 Offaly
28 Leitrim
29 Waterford
30 Clare
31 Carlow
32 London
33 New York

24th is about right unfortunately and the sad thing is we are not too good to slip even further down...  A few positions seem a wee bit OTT in my opinion: Armagh in 21st  I don't think so... Wicklow ahead of Derry??

Lawrence of Knockbride

I'm happy enough we're as high as 24. How are Mayo ahead of Meath can someone tell me?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on October 02, 2009, 01:28:20 PM

2009 Football Rankings
Thursday, 1 October 2009 17:43

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/gaa2009.html

by James McMahon

It's time for reflection now that the dust has settled. From those who frequent the many GAA function rooms, to the carefully parsed and analysed reflections of 'yer man' on the bar stool, while not forgetting the taxi drivers and the scribes, many opinions will abound as to the quality on offer from May to September.

It certainly was a season that ended with unlikely champions. That may sound a little far-fetched now, but for long periods of the summer, Kerry seemed to wallow in a mire of discontent. Their supporters turned up in Tullamore on 26 July for their qualifier match against Antrim to witness a wake for this current squad.

After that was the expected funeral on the August Bank Holiday Monday when Dublin, who saw off Kildare in a cracking Leinster final, were tipped by many to push on and leave a Kerry rabble in their slipstream. How did we get it so wrong? We should have known that the Kingdom with the sun on their backs at Headquarters in August would be a different animal. Yet, we refused to believe in their powers of recovery.

The Dubs certainly felt the force of the new found venom, as O'Connor's side ripped them to pieces - leaving Pat Gilroy to label his team 'startled earwigs.'

Kerry's All-Ireland success, and the manner in which they achieved it, was very much against type. If anything, Cork played the best football of the Championship, while Tyrone, in cruise control for most of the summer, found that the Rebel cause had a greater engine come the last four.

Division 4 teams enjoyed some fruitful days with Antrim reaching the Ulster final, Wicklow winning three Championship games; Sligo nearly sneaking past Kerry in Tralee and Limerick, who will be in the bottom tier in 2010, just running out of gas against Cork in the Munster final.

They were those like Wexford and Westmeath, who hit rock bottom in '09, while Meath found something within to rise above the nadir of their previous campaign. Mayo and Galway will feel as if they underachieved, and then there were those counties stuck in first gear - Laois, Down, Armagh, Fermanagh and Cavan - while others remained in neutral and sadly do not appear to be going anywhere fast.

In any event, here's the list -

1 Kerry:
2 Cork:
3 Tyrone:
4 Kildare:
5 Dublin:
6 Mayo:
7 Meath:
8 Galway:
9 Donegal:
10 Limerick
11 Antrim:
12 Wicklow:
13 Derry
14 Sligo
15 Down
16 Monaghan
17 Tipperary
18 Laois
19 Roscommon
20 Longford
21 Armagh
22 Louth:
23 Fermanagh
24 Cavan
25 Westmeath
26 Wexford
27 Offaly
28 Leitrim
29 Waterford
30 Clare
31 Carlow
32 London
33 New York

24th is about right unfortunately and the sad thing is we are not too good to slip even further down...  A few positions seem a wee bit OTT in my opinion: Armagh in 21st  I don't think so... Wicklow ahead of Derry??

Antrim and Wicklow far too high.
we could make a case that we should be above Fermanagh and maybe Louth,but anyway we arent in the top 20 in the country thats for sure.

put-it-up

Hyland is in, article up on the HS. Don't now alot about him bar he has a great tache :) I'm sure his knowledge of football in this county isn't too shabby either.

You reckon he will have his own backroom team now? Or will Lynch and Peter work with him?

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up on October 02, 2009, 06:23:31 PM
Hyland is in, article up on the HS. Don't now alot about him bar he has a great tache :) I'm sure his knowledge of football in this county isn't too shabby either.

You reckon he will have his own backroom team now? Or will Lynch and Peter work with him?

Well Im glad that theres a fresh face in.I always thought a trainer and one selector wasnt enough.Terry should have a fair knowledge of club football having been around the block.He was also a selector before.Good to see that a man who is winning things at Club level being rewarded. Will there be a new Junior manager now or whats the story??

BallyhaiseMan

I hope whoever gets the Junior/Development squad,actually implements a training regime this year,No Fault on TH last year,because it wasnt his decision,but there were no organised training sessions for the juniors,just games,and when they came up against a well drilled Louth team,which were training as a unit, with and against their County senior team,we were found wanting with indeed a strong enough team.
Id much rather
under 21's be left alone,to prepare for their championship
and have the Junior and Senior panels train together.

Celt_Man

Any results from any of the league games today??? We beat Killinkere by a point 2 - 10 to 2 - 9, tough stuff by times.  Unbelievable wind made a balls of it in many ways

put-it-up

We hammered Cornafaen by about 15 points. Kingscourt beat Crosserlough well too.