Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 02, 2009, 08:31:02 AM

Anton Reilly did ok. Was responsible for a point but thats it. Anyone complaining about him being slow of his line should also remember that it is not exactly James Reillys strong point either. .

It's Fintan that was in goals. 

Yes we all know that Miller can be slow but not letting the ball into the goals is one of his strong points and he would not have let 3 in yesterday.

mylestheslasher

Re- Fintan/Anton : Sorry - typing error.

I think you are being harsh on him. 2 goals were punched from inside the small square. One right in off the post and the other with power into the roof of the net. The middle goal he saved the 1st shot and  the rebound was scored. For me he was not at fault. Whether James Reilly would have saved them who knows. Maybe if James was playing FB we might not have conceded either

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 02, 2009, 08:44:43 AM
Re- Fintan/Anton : Sorry - typing error.

I think you are being harsh on him. 2 goals were punched from inside the small square. One right in off the post and the other with power into the roof of the net. The middle goal he saved the 1st shot and  the rebound was scored. For me he was not at fault. Whether James Reilly would have saved them who knows. Maybe if James was playing FB we might not have conceded either

Maybe i am being harsh on him but i expected more from him. I though he would step in comfortable enough and be good cover for Miller.

cavanmaniac

I don't know if it's worse just to lose, or to lose after playing well enough to win by a street.

I suppose the former speaks of our defensive frailties against a weakened team while the latter does indicate we at least have something to work with and build on.

It leaves us effectively out of the promotion battle or at the least, with a massive mountain to climb already. We'd probably need to win every game from now to the finish and I can't see that happening seeing as we've played out f**k up card after just one game!

Would love to know what became of Gumley and Tierney.

LaurelEye

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 02, 2009, 08:31:02 AMSome positives. First time in a long long time we looked a big team.

Don't get carried away, Myles -  everyone looks big beside Longford... :)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Celt_Man

Disaster of a result despite an unbelievable amount of procession... Have said throughout the McKenna Cup that Podge isn't next or near an average full back and I don't disagree with some of you saying we could accommodate him elsewhere in the team... Why?  He is slow, unfit and carrying a lot of weight, personally I'm not sure he is good enough at all.  If we were to accommodate him, then it would be because of his name and his previous performances a couple of years ago, something which most of us agree shouldn't be happening...

Don't know where all this about Fintan Reilly came from, absolutely nothing he could do about the three goals in fact he made a great save for the second one and nothing he could do about the rebound.

As for Tierney and Gumley, well I'm not too sure about Gumley but I know Tierney is still training with the squad but I believe they aren't gonna rush him into any games for the first half of the league and let him sort out a few small niggly injuries.... I think there is a few in the same boat, Hannon, Sean Brady, big Dermot....  I don't believe Gumley is in that bunch of players, I think it was that he was unfortunate not to make the Match day 24.  If I'm right as well, a few boys were told to go back to their clubs and their performances would be monitored a la Anton Reilly

I think we'll get it hard to get promoted now, barring a few slip ups from a couple of other teams -  hard to know really, I think Limerick are a better team than their result showed yesterday and that Louth will be found out as the fitness levels of other teams catch up to them.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Fintan Reily was slow across his line for the first goal in my opinion, also was the cause of 1 point.
dont think he could do anything about the other two.
i was disappointed in him, i believed he could be a good number to Miller.
bring back Colm Anderson i say(if hes interested and in the country).

John McCutcheon at full back is an interesting one,
Power,Pace and height. Certainly worth a try. Especially after that half back line was very good yesterday.
Celt Man what do you think?

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 02, 2009, 03:11:23 PM
Fintan Reily was slow across his line for the first goal in my opinion, also was the cause of 1 point.
dont think he could do anything about the other two.
i was disappointed in him, i believed he could be a good number to Miller.
bring back Colm Anderson i say(if hes interested and in the country).

Power,Pace and height. Certainly worth a try. Especially after that half back line was very good yesterday.

I didn't think he was slow across the line for the first only that the flick came from so close in, he had so little time to react that's all... 

As for John at full back, to be honest, I think you could play him anywhere... certainly has the physicality and statue for full back and definitely the pace to handle any full forward we have come across so far.  It would be an interesting one alright although still think he would be a better option in the half back line.  Even though they played reasonably well yesterday (taking into account they were rarely put on the back foot), I think John is actually one of the rare defenders who can actually defend....  A lot of the time, when people say a defender has played well, it is because he looked good on the ball going forward... I think a lot of the defenders today not just in Cavan,  think the Dublin backs are chronic for this, try to look good on the ball going forward to cover up their defensive frailties....

mylestheslasher

I don't think we should be too hard on Carr yet. He is probably being advised by the selectors that Podge could be a good full back. It is clear enough to me now Podge doesn't have the mentality for a FB and to be honest his form has been quite poor last year too. I hope Carr sees this now and moves on to plan B. Why not try McCutcheon. He has always impressed me when I've seen him play and as someone said above we are not too bad in the half back line that we couldn't spare a man for FB!
Its a sickener to lose to Longford (I went to Moyne back in the day and just don't like losing to  them) but we haven't dominated a game like that in a long time so its not all bad news. I think if Carr can work on Johnstone, Pearson and some of the half forwards supporting Givney when he wins ball that we'll start to present a goal threat that has been missing for a few years. This team does need some time to develop so lets not be too hard on them yet.

BallyhaiseMan

i had my doubts about givney after the first McKenna Cup game,

but its hard not to be impressed with what he done yesterday, outstanding fielding ability and good balance,took the wrong option a few times,but that will improve as he gets more experience.
his one real weakness is Speed,but he has all the other qualities to do well at Inter county level.
i mentioned it before but that Catch he made in the second half,when he set up a goal chance,where he seemed to have misjudged the flight of the ball,was as good as ive seen.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 02, 2009, 03:35:48 PM

As for John at full back, to be honest, I think you could play him anywhere... certainly has the physicality and statue for full back and definitely the pace to handle any full forward we have come across so far.  It would be an interesting one alright although still think he would be a better option in the half back line. 
[/quote]

I dont think he will get his place in the half back line, he is a good player but i think that there are better than him in the squad.  He would definately be worth a go at full back i dont think there is anything to lose by giving him a couple of league games there anyway. 

Denn Forever

I know you might say this should be in the General Discussion, but a bit of fun for anyone in the Ballinagh Area this Friday 6th February.

The Slieve Glah Dramatic society are showing Run for you Wife in the Ballinagh Hall at 8.30.

Members are from Denn, Crosserlough and Lavey so we have a good mix .  We played to sell out crowds in the Ramor Theatre last weekend and everyone had a blast and its a perfect tonic for the doom and gloom we have to go through these days.

Hope anyone in the vicinity can make it.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

I was reading the match report for Longford game on the Celts website (www.anglocelt.ie). Its pretty well written and I think captures my feelings on the game. That is a big change as normally I'd associate the celts reporting to be the same level as Northern Sounds commentary. Have they changed editors or reporters recently?

Celt_Man

Aye Paul Fitzpatrick is the sports editor now and definitely there has been an improvement in the coverage.  He doesn't sit on the fence as much as the last crowd.  I think he is a Redhills man and he was the sports editor for the short lived Celt off-shoot Cavan Life

mylestheslasher

Aha - I believe he once posted here or is that a different redhills man.