Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Cranfield on November 15, 2019, 11:59:46 AM
Heard St Brigids only lost one player from last years team. But their main man James Smith didn't play against us in the group game.
Wonder is he injured? Have Dunloy many of last years side?

Just the 2. one over age and one injured so its not too bad. we have a good chance again but again its literally all on the day as they have the talent to win it  and they are all flying fit from the hurling to win it.
hurl like f**k boi!

Cranfield

As mentioned on here before he lives in Moneyglass and coaches underage teams there. The managing your own club argument is a bit lame as none of us know ins and outs.

We always seem to get a brave of stick but off the top of head I reckon in division one alone Cargin, Creggan, Lamh dhearg, portglenone, Ahoghill, Aghagallon St Endas Gort na Mona and st galls all had either an outside manager or coach last year. There could be others.

I would prefer that we grow our own coaches within Creggan. We have a few good former players  involved with 21s so hope to see them stepping up in the future

Cranfield

Didn't realise you had nearly all of last years team DR.

Some strong teams left all capable of a having a cut. Whoever comes through it wouid be brilliant to see the Antrim winners may go in and win Ulster

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cranfield on November 15, 2019, 01:50:23 PM
As mentioned on here before he lives in Moneyglass and coaches underage teams there. The managing your own club argument is a bit lame as none of us know ins and outs.

We always seem to get a brave of stick but off the top of head I reckon in division one alone Cargin, Creggan, Lamh dhearg, portglenone, Ahoghill, Aghagallon St Endas Gort na Mona and st galls all had either an outside manager or coach last year. There could be others.

I would prefer that we grow our own coaches within Creggan. We have a few good former players  involved with 21s so hope to see them stepping up in the future

This is the longest we have went with home grown managers, Since Lenny took us up the steps of the Hogan Stand we've had clubmen looking after us, same this year..

I'm not against it either btw, outside voice with no baggage is great
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Calm Down

Have to agree with MR2 an outside man with no family names, favours to settle or friends to please can be the best for a team which wants players selected on merit

Cranfield

MR2 Inside managers yes but Big Paul Mellon who was in with us for a year was coaching your seniors the last 2 years

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cranfield on November 15, 2019, 02:32:28 PM
MR2 Inside managers yes but Big Paul Mellon who was in with us for a year was coaching your seniors the last 2 years

Yes we've had a coach for sure and even with past clubmen as managers we've always had am outside coach, I've always believed you need a coach who'll coach, the manager is the main cog in that machine though..

The set up for most teams should be, Manager, coach, adviser and two helpers to organise the pitches rigs and any other business.. I firmly believe the coach should be coaching only, that way he can keep his focus on that, obviously he'll need direction on the type of game plan so that he can implement drills to suit. Some clubs have that skill set within their club but I think that is good to have that outside voice.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 15, 2019, 01:21:56 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 15, 2019, 09:16:55 AM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 14, 2019, 08:00:10 PM
Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on November 14, 2019, 07:43:07 PM
Will that mean double the money?
one of them was on the payroll last year and the other one must b replacing Madden which isn't a hard act to follow

What has Madden ever done on you?
Nothing personally but I'd say most people on this board buy club lotto, pay membership, help with fUndraising we need to keep our clubs going and every pound is hard got and boys like him, and others, take that money out of the association. - that's my problem with him and others but he takes the biscuit by taking a team in a neighbouring parish and not his own who gave him a good playing career

Do you the reasons why he doesn't take his own club team? You are commenting on something that, like the rest of us, you know very little about.

In some clubs an outside voice is the best way forward and when people pay into the club lotto or whatever they do so knowing that is where the money is going.

imtommygunn

A championship final and a division 1 league isn't bad going either. You do wonder can they put over the line with current crop of players but maybe they're just not quite there with or without him. All in all he hasn't done too bad I'd have said.

bannside

Kevin has lived in Moneyglass for ten years now and his young girls play underage football there and I know he does help out there from time to time. Was told he pays into Moneyglass Cairde Scheme for their new pitch fundraising plan too so it looks like thats where his club allegience lies at this stage. People move on, it happens, but he still has plenty of friends around Portglenone and maybe one day he will throw his hat into the ring here for free. Ok he never won a championship at Creggan but he went mighty close and won a good bit of other stuff during his time there. He has a big challenge at the minute with Tyrone and not many Antrim men can say they got an opportunity to do that! Good luck to him.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 15, 2019, 04:54:23 PM
one of them was on the payroll last year and the other one must b replacing Madden which isn't a hard act to follow

Nothing personally but I'd say most people on this board buy club lotto, pay membership, help with fUndraising we need to keep our clubs going and every pound is hard got and boys like him, and others, take that money out of the association. - that's my problem with him and others but he takes the biscuit by taking a team in a neighbouring parish and not his own who gave him a good playing career

Do you the reasons why he doesn't take his own club team? You are commenting on something that, like the rest of us, you know very little about.

In some clubs an outside voice is the best way forward and when people pay into the club lotto or whatever they do so knowing that is where the money is going.
Id say if you asked your hardworking voluntary treasurer he might well prefer to have faith in one of your own but here everyone is entitled to their opinion  :-X

paddyjohn

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 15, 2019, 08:55:30 PM

Id say if you asked your hardworking voluntary treasurer he might well prefer to have faith in one of your own but here everyone is entitled to their opinion  :-X

In my club our treasurer was more than happy to pay the outside man, in fact she help to vote him in.

Milltown Row2

Generally there is a benefactor within a club who 'helps' or a few fundraisers that help..

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 15, 2019, 10:46:23 PM

In my club our treasurer was more than happy to pay the outside man, in fact she help to vote him in.
With the McNultys doing it for free can you send your surplus to the financially struggling clubs? sounds like we need a solidarity fund

paddyjohn

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 16, 2019, 09:14:21 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 15, 2019, 10:46:23 PM

With the McNultys doing it for free can you send your surplus to the financially struggling clubs? sounds like we need a solidarity fund

No bother. Sure we've been bailing the city clubs out as years....  ;) ;D