Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

I'm on the Beara Peninsula in a few weeks for 4 nights. Staying in Allihies. Any recommendations in the area for beer, seafood, sight seeing ?

seafoid

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 29, 2019, 04:46:51 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 29, 2019, 04:38:12 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on April 29, 2019, 04:23:30 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 25, 2019, 10:04:14 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 25, 2019, 04:58:48 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on April 25, 2019, 03:35:13 PM
Looking at booking a week in Norway, split between Oslo and Bergen. Anyone any experience of this? Considering starting of in Bergen and taking the train to Oslo with maybe a stop off somewhere in between for a night. Will be travelling with the kids, 18 & 16. The 18 yo will be heading to university in September so looking to do something interesting.

Did Bergen, Oslo and Stockholm last year.

Bergen is a good spot.  Does get the cruise ships but never over crowded.  Has the historical centre where the German traders established the Hanseatic League. Two good mountains on either side with cable cars or funicular train for oldies while youngsters can hike up. Visited the leprosy hospital. Best part was the 'Norway in a Nutshell' day tour from Bergen via the Flam railway and through the fjords by catamaran before back to Bergen by train and bus. Not to be missed. Like all of Norway a bit expensive but once in a lifetime. Travelled to Oslo by train, over 6 hours but brilliant to see across whole country from sea level to sea level but rising to snow fields at 1220m.

Oslo a great city. National gallery to see the Scream, Viking museum, Fram museum and Kontiki to celebrate Norwegian explorers.  Plenty to see and do.

Highly recommended.
Good stuff. I plan to do the Norway in a Nutshell and break the journey to Oslo by perhaps staying in Flam overnight.

I really like Scandinavia, have been to Denmark a few times and was in Stockholm a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, thought the Vasa museum was especially impressive.

Norway is a great country, great scenery, very clean, good people but by god it is an expensive place. I don't envy you heading that way in summer time with 3 teenagers. You will all enjoy it for sure but at a cost
Scandinavia and Switzerland have very high prices

Actually, our experience of Denmark, Norway and Sweden was that hotels are cheaper than Dublin and with a little research you can eat cheaper and better than many places in Dublin or large UK cities.  It snacking and drinking that  tend to be most expensive.  Entry to some attractions will be slightly expensive but the quality of the experience is superb.

Just a note to anyone going, don't both too much with taking currency, both Norway and Sweden are virtually cashless and in many places they only will accept your card.  Before going get a credit card that doesn't have a surcharge for paying in anything other than sterling, e.g. Santander Zero card.
There are countries where you can get a meal for 4 for 60 euro and ones where it's more like twice that
Any country where the PPP GDP per head is lower than nominal GDP per head is likely to be expensive. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GJL

Anyone been to legoland Windsor?

Over the Bar

Quote from: GJL on April 30, 2019, 07:39:55 PM

Yes GJL.  Great day out. Collect the vouchers from Kellogg's packs for half price admission otherwise £80 a throw.  They're not accepted on bank holidays tho.

Don Johnson

Yeah we did an overnight stay a few weeks ago. Went early Sunday morning, home late on the Monday. Flew from Stansted and hired a car. Would go back again, the child loved it, but it was more geared toward younger kids than teenagers.

The theming of the hotels was class, our room had a treasure hunt in it for the child which give her a code to open a safe and there was a bag of Lego in it. Also the rooms had a box of Lego for them to play with too. Pool in the main Legoland hotel is great as well, you need to book a slot in for it. We booked the slot half an hour after the park closed, went there before dinner.

The park itself was busy enough on the Sunday but very very quiet on the Monday which was great, short queue times for all the rides.

GJL

Quote from: Don Johnson on May 01, 2019, 11:32:58 AM

Yeah we did an overnight stay a few weeks ago. Went early Sunday morning, home late on the Monday. Flew from Stansted and hired a car. Would go back again, the child loved it, but it was more geared toward younger kids than teenagers.

The theming of the hotels was class, our room had a treasure hunt in it for the child which give her a code to open a safe and there was a bag of Lego in it. Also the rooms had a box of Lego for them to play with too. Pool in the main Legoland hotel is great as well, you need to book a slot in for it. We booked the slot half an hour after the park closed, went there before dinner.

The park itself was busy enough on the Sunday but very very quiet on the Monday which was great, short queue times for all the rides.

Thanks.
We are staying nearby in Windsor for a week. Would you reccomend 2 days in Legoland or just one? I have 3 kids.

PMG1

Booking a Xmas break with the Mrs, unfortunately she can't do long haul flights. Have done Prague, Edinburgh which were very good at Xmas and also Dublin, Galway etc which are great but it is as cheap to head away somewhere. I was thinking of Bath in England, not a big fan of English food but am told Bath is a lovely place to go. Has any of you been there and would you recommend it?

trailer

Quote from: PMG1 on May 01, 2019, 12:37:09 PM
Booking a Xmas break with the Mrs, unfortunately she can't do long haul flights. Have done Prague, Edinburgh which were very good at Xmas and also Dublin, Galway etc which are great but it is as cheap to head away somewhere. I was thinking of Bath in England, not a big fan of English food but am told Bath is a lovely place to go. Has any of you been there and would you recommend it?

Amsterdam is lovely at Christmas.

Tony Baloney

I know a couple who were over scouting out the uni for their son a few weeks ago and said it was a lovely town. I'm sure there will be more on offer there than "English food"  ;D

Don Johnson

Quote from: GJL on May 01, 2019, 11:40:50 AM

Thanks.
We are staying nearby in Windsor for a week. Would you reccomend 2 days in Legoland or just one? I have 3 kids.

Probably best with the two days if you have three kids as they will all be looking to do different things at different times no doubt. There are wee shows and parades and things on at certain times during the day as well, we didn't see the half of it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 01, 2019, 01:54:41 PM
I know a couple who were over scouting out the uni for their son a few weeks ago and said it was a lovely town. I'm sure there will be more on offer there than "English food"  ;D

I've two friends who's kids have just finished Uni in Bath, (well this June) beautiful place and plenty to do and see, but has cost them a clean fortune, they have a few bob but it would certainly put a dent in your savings! Ive encouraged mine to get a job as an apprentice!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Insane Bolt

Having Yorkshire puddings with your breakfast is not compulsory 😂 .....how does Irish food differ?😳

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Don Johnson on May 01, 2019, 03:16:25 PM

Thanks.

Probably best with the two days if you have three kids as they will all be looking to do different things at different times no doubt. There are wee shows and parades and things on at certain times during the day as well, we didn't see the half of it.

Don

How do you go about organising the trip- flights, car hire, accommodation & passes all booked separate online just?

SF

Don Johnson

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 01, 2019, 07:42:14 PM
Quote from: Don Johnson on May 01, 2019, 03:16:25 PM

Thanks.

Don

How do you go about organising the trip- flights, car hire, accommodation & passes all booked separate online just?

SF

Yup, we did all of ours separate. Got very very cheap Ryanair flights, took the 9am flight on the Sunday morning and the 9pm flight the Monday evening. Then we booked a cheap car hire, think about £20 for the two days just off one of the comparison sites. Booked the hotel/park tickets direct with Legoland since we got the flights so cheap stayed in the main hotel.

As someone mentioned earlier though there are loads of places you can get half price tickets for Legoland to save a few quid. Lots of hotels round Windsor as well. Looked a nice enough town as well from what we seen of it. If we went back maybe for two nights I wouldn't mind going round it, check out the castle. Or even better, go on a Monday night in the summer and go to the races!

ziggy90

Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 01, 2019, 07:22:55 PM

Having Yorkshire puddings with your breakfast is not compulsory 😂 .....how does Irish food differ?😳

What's not to like about a Balti with a Garlic Naan?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered