McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Maybe its because i haven't seen much live football lately but jaysus i really enjoyed the game last night. it wasn't the very highest quality but the commitent and competitiveness was top drawer. looking at the impact of the new rules, it makes for attacking football but for someone who loves the physical aspect and appreciates the art of the tackle, its a nonsense. all over the pitch players simply shadowed their men. very rarely were there committed tackles and when martin o'rourke fractionally mistimed a shoulder charge he was yellow carded. not for me i'm afraid.

From an armagh perspective, the full back line was very shaky. martin and smith were cleaned out, though i thought shannon stuck to a very difficult task manfully. smith is just not county material. martin was faring better at half back. McEvoy kicked the ball out rightly i thought... certainly further than Durcan who's kicks were very high but covered no distance. he also made a couple of good interceptions and a great save at a forward's feet. mcclelland had a shocker. he was getting badly exposed at 6 and the move to 3 didn't help him much. wing backs were very ordinary altogether and were neither shutting their men down nor pushing forward. Midfield was poor. i just don't know about Lavery and ONeill appears to lack strength and confidence.

the lack of ball being won probably sucked the half forwards further towards the middle but to little effect. o'rourke and toal worked and battled hard but nothing constructive came off either of them. mallon was very disappointing for me. he spent the whole night carrying ball out of his own defence and consequently created nothing and wasn't within 80 yards of a shooting opportunity. clarke really played centre forward to limited success. his quality is lost in the malaise and any good touches weren't as constructive so far from goal. he was excellent when he went inside in the second half. its a no brainer for me. clarke plays full forward.

Feeney was the real plus of the night. won loads of ball in front and took his man on constantly to good effect. three neat points from play added up to a great first half from him. very disappointing to see him go off injured early in the second half. i wasn't as impressed with o'rourke i have to say. i thought he was hiding in the first half and didn't want the ball but he showed more hunger after the break. his point was excellent, as was his goal if he meant it, but he wasted a lot of good oppportunities by not passing or running down blind alleys.

Donegal played their usual fluid running game with measured low ball into a very sharp and islolated front 3. McMenamin was very sharp and held onto some difficult ball. the two men who impressed me most were conall dunne at 11, who everything went through and particularly Griffin at full forward who Armagh could do nothing with. walsh had a good first half. Not great from the rest but obviously enough to win the game!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: AFS on January 22, 2009, 12:37:13 AM

All in all not a bad McKenna Cup from an Armagh point of view. Don't think any of the defenders really showed up, apart from Donaghy looking the part at FB. None of the midfielders tried did much to increase their reputations either. But the area that we've struggled in most in recent years, the forward line, is also the area that a few prospects seemed to have shown up for us in the last few games. Henderson, Kevin O'Rourke, Toal and Feeney (if fit) all look like they could step up to the next level, which would be fantastic. Even if we can only bring one of these guys through over the league it will aid our chances no end by taking some of the scoring pressure away from Ronan and Stevie.

Don't really agree with that AFS. Even though we made the knock out stages, I've been a bit underwhelmed by the 4 matches so far. Defensively we've been very poor. Of all the players we've tried defensively, very few have made any impression and none really look like adding to our options. I suppose Rafferty's been reasonable enough and to be fair, while he had a poor match against Antrim, Neil O'Rourke did well when he came on last night. Did Feeney scores 0-3? Was that mainly in the first 15 minutes as I was late arriving (traffic coming out of belfast was wild). Kevin O'Rourke's goal was nearly worth the trip itself and he scored a great point as well.

My initial reaction at the end was that it was a penalty but I was a brave bit away. Would have been a bit harsh on Donegal though their goal was an absolute gift from McClelland who otherwise has looked solid enough.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Uladh

I thought it was a good tackle at the end but it was very hard to see

mountainboii

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 22, 2009, 11:27:43 AM

All in all not a bad McKenna Cup from an Armagh point of view. Don't think any of the defenders really showed up, apart from Donaghy looking the part at FB. None of the midfielders tried did much to increase their reputations either. But the area that we've struggled in most in recent years, the forward line, is also the area that a few prospects seemed to have shown up for us in the last few games. Henderson, Kevin O'Rourke, Toal and Feeney (if fit) all look like they could step up to the next level, which would be fantastic. Even if we can only bring one of these guys through over the league it will aid our chances no end by taking some of the scoring pressure away from Ronan and Stevie.

Don't really agree with that AFS. Even though we made the knock out stages, I've been a bit underwhelmed by the 4 matches so far. Defensively we've been very poor. Of all the players we've tried defensively, very few have made any impression and none really look like adding to our options. I suppose Rafferty's been reasonable enough and to be fair, while he had a poor match against Antrim, Neil O'Rourke did well when he came on last night. Did Feeney scores 0-3? Was that mainly in the first 15 minutes as I was late arriving (traffic coming out of belfast was wild). Kevin O'Rourke's goal was nearly worth the trip itself and he scored a great point as well.

My initial reaction at the end was that it was a penalty but I was a brave bit away. Would have been a bit harsh on Donegal though their goal was an absolute gift from McClelland who otherwise has looked solid enough.

Really? As I've said I don't think many of the defenders or midfielders tried look like they're gonna trouble the incumbents, but were there not enough bright sparks from the few forwards that I've mentioned to encourage you? We need new forwards more than anything and I reckon 1 or 2 of those lads could be the real deal.

corn02

Quote from: AFS on January 22, 2009, 12:17:37 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 22, 2009, 11:27:43 AM

Really? As I've said I don't think many of the defenders or midfielders tried look like they're gonna trouble the incumbents, but were there not enough bright sparks from the few forwards that I've mentioned to encourage you? We need new forwards more than anything and I reckon 1 or 2 of those lads could be the real deal.

Based on the one game I saw and various reports, I have to go with AFS on this, but there is not much in it.

The two keepers have both impressed which is good.

Defence wise? A lot of players have had varying degrees of success. By reports, Shannon has had two good games in a row, which will obviously help.

I know Smyth has been seen as poor but in the Queen's game he was excellent. Rafferty and Donnelly also impressed me as well. Donaghy seems a cert for the number 3 spot, a class act and, although he was poor last night, McClelllnad has looked good.

Midfield – biggest problem area for me. Everybody seemed to do ok, but nobody had a stormer or stood out significantly. There was a window open and McDonnell has often said he needs more midfielders. People have been steadt but, realistically, we needed one or two to have class games. That said, it is January football and if you make a couple of clean catches you are doing ok. Boys are not sharp yet so nobody can be expected to dominate.

Forward wise – The two O'Rourkes and Henderson have impressed and all three will be confident of pushing on from here.

Overall the League will tell a much bigger tale than the McKenna Cup. It is an indicator rather than a decider. See how the lads do in the league and then judge.

southdown

How much will the admission be tonight for the Down game?

5 Sams

I'd imagine it'll be the same....£8 or 10 yo yos
The Aristocrat Years

mountainboii

Quote from: corn02 on January 22, 2009, 02:31:10 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/puffbox/hyperpuff/wide_site/rugby_union/ulster/7845053.stm

Looked a good tackle to me. Knowing Barnsey, eh certainly meant that chip.

Fair play to BBC for those highlights, you couldn't really ask for any more for whats really just a pre-season friendly. All we're asking from them is to do this on a constant basis. I wonder if this wasn't a midweek match when there was f**k all else on, would they have bothered going to the effort though.

mountainboii

Also corn, despite Austin's remarks I reckon that's a definite penalty. The Donegal player doesn't touch the ball and comes down on Clarke's legs instead. That's not a legal tackle, you're supposed to tackle the ball not the man.

corn02

Quote from: AFS on January 22, 2009, 03:37:15 PM
Quote from: corn02 on January 22, 2009, 02:31:10 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/puffbox/hyperpuff/wide_site/rugby_union/ulster/7845053.stm

Looked a good tackle to me. Knowing Barnsey, eh certainly meant that chip.

Fair play to BBC for those highlights, you couldn't really ask for any more for whats really just a pre-season friendly. All we're asking from them is to do this on a constant basis. I wonder if this wasn't a midweek match when there was f**k all else on, would they have bothered going to the effort though.

Yes, more like that please.

corn02

Quote from: AFS on January 22, 2009, 03:42:00 PM
Also corn, despite Austin's remarks I reckon that's a definite penalty. The Donegal player doesn't touch the ball and comes down on Clarke's legs instead. That's not a legal tackle, you're supposed to tackle the ball not the man.

I hadn't the sound on, what did Austy say?

It looks like his right hand makes contact with the ball.

mountainboii

Austy also thinks it was a good tackle. I just can't see the Donegal lad making contact with the ball. The way I see it he falls across Clarke, who loses control of the ball as he loses his balance. Doesn't matter a whole pile at the end of the day, just as long as we're not at the wrong end of some of these calls later on this year.

never kickt a ball

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup Playoffs
Team 1   Team 2   Venue   Date   Time   Referee   Comment
Queens University    Down    Pairc Esler Newry Down   22/01/2009   19:30   Pat McEnaney   S-Final

downgirl

Anyone have any updates of the score of the Down V Queens match?