McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Dr McKenna Cup Section B: Donegal 1-11 0-11 Down

Michael Murphy's made his 100th Donegal appearance as Rory Gallagher's side edged out Down 1-11 to 0-11 in the Dr McKenna Cup opener at Ballybofey.

Second-half substitute Murphy's late point helped an experimental Donegal side hold off a committed Down outfit.

Frank McGlynn's early goal contributed to Donegal's 1-3 to 0-4 half-time lead.

Ciaran Thompson's third point helped Donegal move five ahead but Down kept battling and Donegal needed late Murphy and McGlynn points to stay clear.

Donegal boss Rory Gallagher named five debutants Jack O'Brien, Eoghan Ban Gallagher, Ciaran Thompson, Stephen McBrearty and Michael Carroll while Cathal Doyle, Joe McDermott, Joe Murphy and Gareth Johnson made their first Down appearances as Eamonn Burns took charge of the Mourne County for the first time.

McGlynn lobbed in Donegal's goal in the opening minute after being found by Odhran MacNiallais.

Peter Turley had an immediate chance to level from a Down goal chance but fired over the bar and two Thompson points helped Donegal lead by two at half-time with debutant Johnson and Aidan Carr among the Down first-half scorers.

Johnson added another Down point immediately after the restart but the visitors missed other scoring chances and Donegal increased their advantage to three with Martin O'Reilly, Hugh McFadden and man of the match Thompson all on target.

Donegal went close to notching a second goal as a fierce Jack O'Brien shot hit the underside of the crossbar with suggestions the ball may have bounced over the line before being cleared.

As Paddy McGrath hit what is believed to be his first ever inter-county point, Donegal appeared to be in command as they moved five clear but a Shane Dolan point started a Down revival as Donegal needed the late Murphy and McGlynn scores to keep the Mourne men at bay.

Murphy received a big cheer from the home crowd as he was introduced with 16 minutes remaining.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gaelic-games/35217342

never kickt a ball

Maggie May wait up.......... Game postponed

Female referee Maggie Farrelly to take charge of McKenna Cup fixture

Maggie Farrelly will make history on 3 January when she becomes the first female referee to take charge of a senior inter-county game.

The Cavan woman will throw the ball in at the Dr McKenna Cup match between Fermanagh and St Mary's at Brewster Park, Enniskillen.

Farrelly has previously refereed in quarter-finals and semi-finals of the Cavan Senior Football Championship.

In 2012, she was a sideline official for an Ulster Club Senior Football tie.

Last year she became the first female to take charge of an inter-county game when she was in the middle for the Ulster minor Championship fixture between Fermanagh and Antrim.

Despite only taking up refereeing in 2008, she joined the Ulster GAA Referee Academy in 2011.

Her first final came the following year, when she refereed the Cavan All-County League decider.

In 2014, she refereed the county Under-21 final, the All-Ireland Ladies' Senior Final and was named Ulster GAA Referee of the Year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gaelic-games/35159385

ONeill

Seemed to be a free-taking extravaganza in the first half in the Tyrone/Queens game.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Any craic

Here's a voice over report from the Donegal-Down game with some good scores and a slip by poor old Michael Murphy on his 100th appearance..
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2016/01/02/news/liveblog-mckenna-cup-donegal-v-down-370372/?param=ds441rif44T?param=ds441rif44T

StGallsGAA

Armagh managed to lose at home to a Cavan side playing with 13 men from before half time and who saw out the game with only 12 players!!!  :o

Itchy

Word is that Armagh had a tactic to get as many Cavan players sent off as possible but that didn't work so they levelled it up and that worked better.

illdecide

Quote from: StGallsGAA on January 04, 2016, 02:07:17 AM
Armagh managed to lose at home to a Cavan side playing with 13 men from before half time and who saw out the game with only 12 players!!!  :o

Yes and Armagh finished with 13, Cavan's third man sending off was v late on. How did Antrim get on yesterday?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Quote from: Itchy on January 04, 2016, 09:56:23 AM
Word is that Armagh had a tactic to get as many Cavan players sent off as possible but that didn't work so they levelled it up and that worked better.

There u r itchy...you're a genius.

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Conallach

Nice to see so many new faces for Donegal. May as well let them loose, at least from here until the break in the league.

The likes of Thompson, O'Brien, and McBrearty looked at a good level yesterday, and with quite a few of the new players out (including Carr & McClenaghan, who both have real potential) it's very positive. I wonder if, the day after one Burtonport man's defeat in the UFC, the most immediately important thing might have been Danny Rodgers' debut in goals though.

jp2020

Word is Cavan thought they would flex their muscles, as usual, but ref took appropriate action! 3 men sent off in 1 game for off-the-ball antics - must be a record! Cant see that tactic being very successful as the year progresses! I think this might be a case of Cavan winning the battle but Armagh could win the war! Hyland on the way out! ::)

redhandefender

Quote from: jp2020 on January 04, 2016, 02:21:40 PM

Word is Cavan thought they would flex their muscles, as usual, but ref took appropriate action! 3 men sent off in 1 game for off-the-ball antics - must be a record! Cant see that tactic being very successful as the year progresses! I think this might be a case of Cavan winning the battle but Armagh could win the war! Hyland on the way out! ::)

I doubt Armagh will win very much

J70

Quote from: Conallach on January 04, 2016, 01:50:32 PM
Nice to see so many new faces for Donegal. May as well let them loose, at least from here until the break in the league.

The likes of Thompson, O'Brien, and McBrearty looked at a good level yesterday, and with quite a few of the new players out (including Carr & McClenaghan, who both have real potential) it's very positive. I wonder if, the day after one Burtonport man's defeat in the UFC, the most immediately important thing might have been Danny Rodgers' debut in goals though.

Young Carr appears to be very highly rated. Still a minor though, right?

Rory should have begun this process last year, but hopefully now we'll see a good bit of youth introduced, at least for the league. Does Division 1 status matter THAT much? And while it is an easier run at the Ulster final this year, it's hard to see us winning it with the same aging team a year older.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2016, 03:44:03 PM
Quote from: Conallach on January 04, 2016, 01:50:32 PM

Young Carr appears to be very highly rated. Still a minor though, right?

Rory should have begun this process last year, but hopefully now we'll see a good bit of youth introduced, at least for the league. Does Division 1 status matter THAT much? And while it is an easier run at the Ulster final this year, it's hard to see us winning it with the same aging team a year older.

Surely he cant play at senior level if he is still a minor?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either