Mother and Baby Home Report

Started by Godsown, January 13, 2021, 09:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godsown

24 hours on and not a whimper on the Mother and Baby Home Report. Does the board reflect the misogyny of the era or are people too caught up in US politics and Covid? Report is a damning indictment of Ireland  and the society that evolved post "Independence"

seafoid

Quote from: Godsown on January 13, 2021, 09:16:15 AM
24 hours on and not a whimper on the Mother and Baby Home Report. Does the board reflect the misogyny of the era or are people too caught up in US politics and Covid? Report is a damning indictment of Ireland  and the society that evolved post "Independence"
Very sad to read. So many lives destroyed. the power of the Church at the time was unquestioned.The economy was a basket case until the early 1960s . Over half a million people emigrated and living standards were low. Unmarried  women were easy targets. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sensethetone

It's such a grim topic, unbelievable that it could have happened for such a period of time.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: sensethetone on January 13, 2021, 09:37:03 AM
It's such a grim topic, unbelievable that it could have happened for such a period of time.

I click by those news stories to be honest. Am I part of the problem? Maybe...It's hard to believe that kind of thing happened here, I don't think anyone is too caught up in anything else. What can we say? It's disgusting, embarrassing and shameful to us all.

Milltown Row2

Watching a Danish thriller on BBC player, called DNA, when I say Danish its French/English and Polish..

Anyway the storyline is about a convent that takes in unmarried pregnant mothers and 'sells/adopt's' their babies off, Obviously fictional storyline but based on events that went/go on in modern day Poland, so this stuff was and is still going on around the world!!

Terrible that a institution like the Catholic Church allows this to happen
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 13, 2021, 09:59:40 AM
Watching a Danish thriller on BBC player, called DNA, when I say Danish its French/English and Polish..

Anyway the storyline is about a convent that takes in unmarried pregnant mothers and 'sells/adopt's' their babies off, Obviously fictional storyline but based on events that went/go on in modern day Poland, so this stuff was and is still going on around the world!!

Allows is too kind of a word MR.

The Catholic Church created a culture where the likes of a young girl getting pregnant out of wedlock was seen as a shame and stain on the family and indeed parish/community and needed to be hidden away from "decent" society.

They were aided and abetted by weak governments driven by the same dogma through time.

What was uncovered in Tuam would make any organisation involved in that ashamed to their dying day, pro life my arse.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: johnnycool on January 13, 2021, 10:56:47 AM

The Catholic Church created a culture where the likes of a young girl getting pregnant out of wedlock was seen as a shame and stain on the family and indeed parish/community and needed to be hidden away from "decent" society.

They were aided and abetted by weak governments driven by the same dogma through time.

What was uncovered in Tuam would make any organisation involved in that ashamed to their dying day, pro life my arse.

+ 100. Exactly this.

57 thousand children passed through these homes with thousands more not included in the report. Staggering!

Denn Forever

I think it's the collective shame we feel.  i know what we'd hope we'd do but don't know if we would.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Taylor

The order of nuns who ran the Tuan Home have come out and said 'We did not live up to our Christianity'.

Like f**k me.

Horrific and something which all Irish people should be ashamed off

mrdeeds

One mother and baby home at Bessborough in the 1940s had an infant mortality rate of 82%. The national average was 6.6%. Shocking.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 13, 2021, 11:24:22 AM
One mother and baby home at Bessborough in the 1940s had an infant mortality rate of 82%. The national average was 6.6%. Shocking.

So the point of this series I'm watching was that a lot of the kids were handed over legally for adoption and signed form agreeing to it.

The other part was the nuns were illegally giving the babies off for adoption and saying the children were stillborn, when they clearly weren't. Again this is a fictional storyline, but its not unthinkable considering what they have done in the past!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

five points

That particular storyline was rather silly though, and not at all believable.  The sort of "Priests peasants and pixies" stuff that British filmmakers used make about Ireland.

J70

Ireland was a sick, twisted place back then.

Like many societies where religion holds an outsize influence.

macdanger2

Quote from: johnnycool on January 13, 2021, 10:56:47 AM

That pretty much sums it up for me, the culture of fear that existed in society which was created by the church (and abetted by the state) is a disgrace to us as a country

Rossfan

I would think it's because 99% of GAAboarders were born after all that stuff ended.
Also it's officially stating what we've been hearing for 25 years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM