Who would make the 1st 15 from your province??

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, July 24, 2007, 12:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

If u were to pick a railway cup team, would you sit down and go through positions deciding who was the best player in each in that years championship or would you pick what you feel is the best team available?

for example, dessie one has had a good championship this year but if you were to pick a team to play leinster, are you telling me you would start him in front of the likes of mcmenamin or mallon because they've been quiet by their own sandards?

thebandit

Or Nudie, or Pip Duffy

Quote from: bingobus on July 24, 2007, 12:34:56 PM
Quote from: Uladh on July 24, 2007, 12:22:59 PM
Picking a Railway cup team to comete this year, irrespective of injuries

McKinney
McMenamin
McCloy
McGuckin
Gormley
Monaghan
McKeever
Doherty
McGrane
Cavanagh
O'Neill
Dooher
McDonnell
Clarke
Bradley

Subs

Owens
Mallon
Dunnion
Finlay
Kavanagh
Muldoon
Freeman

Good idea, lets ignore current form and injuries and pick a Ulster selections  ::)

Surprised that Peter Canavan, Joe Kernan or even Greg Blaney didn't make it!!

DJGaliv

1. Greene (Sligo)
2. Higgins (Mayo)
3. Heaney (Mayo)
4. Reynolds (Leitrim)
5. Meehan (Galway)
6. McKeon (Leitrim)
7. Mortimer (Mayo)
8. McGarrity (Mayo)
9. Quinn (Sligo)
10. Bergin (Galway)
11. O'Hara (Sligo)
12. N Joyce (Galway)
13. Heneghan (Roscommon)
14. Meehan (Galway)
15. Armstrong (Galway)

Subs: C de Paor (Galway)

5- Galway
4- Mayo
3- Sligo
2- Leitrim
1- Roscommon

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on July 24, 2007, 12:42:03 PM
Or Nudie, or Pip Duffy

No point picking Pip, he wouldn't turn up  ;)

Uladh,

In a nutshell yes, If I was to pick a team that was playing a Leinster selection tomorrow I would pick it going on current form. Why pick someone who has done feck all this year and is injured.
By any chance do you help pick the All Stars every year, as half the time its picked on reputations rather than actual consistent form over the year.

The only Monaghan players I would have on it is Dessie Mone, Eoin Lennon, Damien and Tommy Freeman. They have preformed in all of the Ulster championship matches to date. I wouldn't have Finlay near it. McQuaid is prob the best fottballer in Monaghan but on his displays this year, he hasn't excelled but he has time yet to force his way in.

Hank Everlast

Hearty
McMenamin
Owens
Mallon
Gormley
Monaghan
Kernan
Doherty
McGrane
Finlay
Cavanagh
Dooher
McDonnell
Clarke
O'Neill

AZOffaly

I suppose it's down to are we picking the best 15 in the province, or picking a Railway Cup Team. I'd have reservations about Anthony Moyles and tom Kelly as wing backs in a real team for example.

thebandit

McKinney

McMenamin
Owens
Mallon

D Feeman
Gormley
A Kernan

Lennon
McGrane

Dooher
Cavanagh
Kavanagh

McDonnell
Bradley
T Freeman

Hound

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 24, 2007, 12:03:38 PM
1 - Stephen Cluxton
2 - David Henry
3 - Darren Fay
4 - Paul Griffen
5 - Tom Kelly
6 - Brian Cullen
7 - Anthony Moyles
8 - Shane Ryan
9 - Ciaran Whelan
10 - Paddy Keenan
11 - Alan Brogan
12 - Stephen Bray
13 - Dessie Dolan
14 - Conal Keaney
15 - John Doyle
I think that's a pretty good effort. In the forwards I think 11, 12, 14 and 15 are shoe-ins IMO. Bray ousting Barden over the last number of weeks. 13 very tight between Dolan, McNamee, Forde and Farrell. Vaughan would only be a contender if the team lacked a reliable freetaker, which it shouldnt. I'd be inclined just to edge it for Forde (just ahead of McNamee).

I'd wholeheartedly agree with your corner backs, but would accept others, especially Laoismen, might have a different view. The midfield sector is interesting. Whelan has to be there, and he has a very good partnership with Ryan. However, perhaps Moyles could fulfill that role, and do it even better? Another option would be to put Moyles at 6, push Cullen to 10 and drop Keenan. Either way I think 7 is the only position where you made a clear mistake. Moyles should be in the team, but there are better wing backs around. Slattery and Cahill would be contenders. I like Kenny of Meath too.  

Jinxy

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 24, 2007, 12:29:07 PM
AZ

He would be on the bench with the likes of Brian Kavanagh, Mark Ward, Brian Murphy, Stephen Kenny, Mark Vaughan, Stephen Kenny

Forde didn't have a good championship I thought.....

Paddy Keenan is there to provide a 3 man midfield in order to try to dominate posession...this allows Whelan to bomb forward and also creates space for each of the forwards...

Do you mean Brendan Murphy and Seamus Kenny? Also with regard to the Moyles v Cullen for centre back argument, based on this season Moyles has the no. 6 jersey all sewn up. Excellent defensive and offensive capabilities whereas I think Cullens defending is his achilles heel. Good going forward though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Uladh

Someone has picked moyles at wing back on a team with cullen playing centre back? ffs

Stagmeister

CONNAUGHT:

1. Greene (Sligo)
2. Harrisson (Sligo)
3. Heaney (Mayo)
4. Donovan (Sligo)
5. Meehan (Galway)
6. McKeon (Leitrim)
7. Davey (Sligo)
8. McGarrity (Mayo)
9. Quinn (Sligo)
10. Curran (Sligo)
11. O'Hara (Sligo)
12. N Joyce (Galway)
13. Mortimer(Mayo)
14. Meehan (Galway)
15. Armstrong (Galway)

Stagmeister

Leinster:

1 - Stephen Cluxton
2 - David Henry
3 - Darren Fay
4 - Paul Griffen
5 - Karol Slattery
6 - Anthony Moyles
7 - Shane Ryan
8 - Paddy Keenan
9 - Ciaran Whelan
10 - Alan Brogan
11 - Bryan Cullen
12 - Stephen Bray
13 - John Doyle
14 - Conal Keaney
15 - Mattie Forde

Jinxy

Why would you put Bryan Cullen centre forward? He doesn't play there and never has! If you have to try so hard to find a place for him I would suggest he doesn't really deserve to be there at all.
If you were any use you'd be playing.