Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 22, 2017, 04:52:12 PM
I know he won All Star last year but who would Harrison replace in the Mayo back six of Barrett,Cafferky,Higgins,Boyle,Keegan,Durcan which is arguably their strongest defence.

AOS replacing his younger brother will probably be the only change to the starting 15 from yesterday.

Galway should be wary of the media taking them up. Many Galway supporters have the opinion they are better this year but I'm not sure what this is based on? The division 2 they got promoted out of was weaker than 2016 IMO and it remains to be seen how Galway will now fare in the much higher level of division one football.

Mayo to win for me because they will have a better goalkeeper starting this game a better defence,stronger midfield and D O Connor will be fit to start this game unlike last year

Harrison is our best man marker, he starts regardless of who's fit IMO. I'd move Higgins to the sweeper role and Harrison back to the fb line

del_carroll

Mayo's weak spot =their forwards.
Mayo's best player =Keegan

Why not move Lee into the forwards?  - I always thought he'd be fantastic there and mayo have plenty great backs

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: del_carroll on May 22, 2017, 07:50:08 PM

Why not move Lee into the forwards?  - I always thought he'd be fantastic there and mayo have plenty great backs

He's good partly because he can time going on those runs up the field. In the forwards you are often receiving the ball with your back to goal. Totally different dynamic.

Syferus

The only 'great backs' Mayo have are Keegan and Higgins. Boyle tries hard but the legs are going and he's a bit wild now. Durcan looks like one for the future. Mayo's FB line is there for the taking imho.

Comer is exactly the sort of bull-strong FF that would give Caffreky/Keane/Vaughan nightmares.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 22, 2017, 07:43:11 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 22, 2017, 04:52:12 PM
I know he won All Star last year but who would Harrison replace in the Mayo back six of Barrett,Cafferky,Higgins,Boyle,Keegan,Durcan which is arguably their strongest defence.

AOS replacing his younger brother will probably be the only change to the starting 15 from yesterday.

Galway should be wary of the media taking them up. Many Galway supporters have the opinion they are better this year but I'm not sure what this is based on? The division 2 they got promoted out of was weaker than 2016 IMO and it remains to be seen how Galway will now fare in the much higher level of division one football.

Mayo to win for me because they will have a better goalkeeper starting this game a better defence,stronger midfield and D O Connor will be fit to start this game unlike last year

Harrison is our best man marker, he starts regardless of who's fit IMO. I'd move Higgins to the sweeper role and Harrison back to the fb line

Lee Keegan is the best Mayo man maker, marks the oppositions best forward and more often than not holds his marker scoreless from play. Harrison was one of the finds of last summer but how many tricky corner forwards did he mark? He struggled on Costello in the AI final replay or be it fresh legs v tired legs.

seafoid

Galway have been making steady progress for the last few years and should do better this year than last year.  The team is based on the 2 most recent all Ireland u21 teams. There wasn't really any core of experienced players to blend with them in 2013-15 , hence the Mayo hammerings . And of course Mayo didn't win Sam despite all the huffing and puffing. So it's 2 teams with different dynamics.
Mayo will hand over the baton soon enough. 

And Galway might win Sam afterwards.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on May 22, 2017, 08:45:19 PM
The only 'great backs' Mayo have are Keegan and Higgins. Boyle tries hard but the legs are going and he's a bit wild now. Durcan looks like one for the future. Mayo's FB line is there for the taking imho.

Comer is exactly the sort of bull-strong FF that would give Caffreky/Keane/Vaughan nightmares.
People and I include Mayo people,  still don't know who Brendan Harrison is. I'd gladly wager that >6/10 people in Mayo don't know what he looks like.

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on May 22, 2017, 10:04:47 PM
Galway have been making steady progress for the last few years and should do better this year than last year.  The team is based on the 2 most recent all Ireland u21 teams. There wasn't really any core of experienced players to blend with them in 2013-15 , hence the Mayo hammerings . And of course Mayo didn't win Sam despite all the huffing and puffing. So it's 2 teams with different dynamics.

Jesus I hope for the good of your health they do, you have be banging on about it long enough. Christ if Mayo ever do the impossible and land Sam along with say Israel invading Palestine, Trump in the Whitehouse , I would be hoping you have a strong support network at hand Seaf!! ;D

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on May 22, 2017, 10:15:59 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 22, 2017, 08:45:19 PM

People and I include Mayo people,  still don't know who Brendan Harrison is. I'd gladly wager that >6/10 people in Mayo don't know what he looks like.

Being that he's only from over Aghamore, I've been very much aware of Harrison, probably longer than you have.

I just didn't rate that highly to begin with, to be honest. You can point to the All-Star (Caffreky has one too and FB is one of Mayo's biggest weaknesses the last however many years) if you want but he has a lot to prove still imho. With Higgins on the other side he's only usually placed on a secondary forward. Chris Barrett would be a better player than him to boot.

From the Bunker

Oh, the dream! Galways first goal - never mind retaining a Connacht title is winning a Championship game in Croke Park. Has any county gone as long without a Championship win there? I'm afraid that if Galway take over the Baton it will be more Mayo falling back to the chasing pack than Galway moving  into the main pack!

del_carroll

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 22, 2017, 07:57:11 PM

He's good partly because he can time going on those runs up the field. In the forwards you are often receiving the ball with your back to goal. Totally different dynamic.

Get that gbb - and yet Meath won an all Ireland in the 90s with 5 club half backs playing in the forwards...
So conversion is often easier that it might seem. What better man today do it than the best footballer in the country?

criostlinn

Quote from: del_carroll on May 23, 2017, 12:04:28 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 22, 2017, 07:57:11 PM

Get that gbb - and yet Meath won an all Ireland in the 90s with 5 club half backs playing in the forwards...
So conversion is often easier that it might seem. What better man today do it than the best footballer in the country?

James Horan tried it a few years ago. It didn't work.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 22, 2017, 11:34:43 PM

Oh, the dream! Galways first goal - never mind retaining a Connacht title is winning a Championship game in Croke Park. Has any county gone as long without a Championship win there? I'm afraid that if Galway take over the Baton it will be more Mayo falling back to the chasing pack than Galway moving  into the main pack!
I wouldn't be surprised to see a new photo up on the wall in Sheridans in Milltown in the next few years.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Galway need to find a capable goalkeeper,full back and centre half back before they can start challenging for a senior AI again at the moment they are making progress with Walsh's blanket defence but individuals in that defence can be exploited as Tipp proved last summer. Some good underage defenders coming through but a lot of promising underage players struggle to make the step up to senior level.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 23, 2017, 03:19:50 PM
Galway need to find a capable goalkeeper,full back and centre half back before they can start challenging for a senior AI again at the moment they are making progress with Walsh's blanket defence but individuals in that defence can be exploited as Tipp proved last summer. Some good underage defenders coming through but a lot of promising underage players struggle to make the step up to senior level.

Every time I see Daithí Burke having another stormer for the hurlers a small part of me wishes we weren't a dual county, I think he'd be a top class half back for the footballers if available.