Disciplinary hearings are destroying the game

Started by thewobbler, September 05, 2015, 06:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

When a player is videoed in clear contravention of the rules of the game, but the DRA still rules in favour of the player, you do have to wonder why anyone would be a referee. This is no different t your bosses publicly going against you for following company policy.

Over in the world of soccer, they talk about role models. I'm really not sure about the role models the DRA is helping to create.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: thewobbler on September 05, 2015, 06:57:59 AM
When a player is videoed in clear contravention of the rules of the game, but the DRA still rules in favour of the player, you do have to wonder why anyone would be a referee. This is no different t your bosses publicly going against you for following company policy.

Over in the world of soccer, they talk about role models. I'm really not sure about the role models the DRA is helping to create.

Kevin Keane situation didn't help matters either to be honest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tippabu

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 05, 2015, 07:12:52 AM

Kevin Keane situation didn't help matters either to be honest.

exactly, him getting off with his made a huge mess of things. thats two clear punches now where its been seen and both players sent off and both players cleared of suspension afterwards, how can they deem any other punches in the future to be more worthy of a suspension when these arent?

Dinny Breen

I doubt anyone is surprised by that decision. The GAA is just a mirror of Irish society, how often do we see the courts come down in favour of the big boys. We are all equal but some are more equal than others.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Makes a total show of the GAA. Player clearly strikes, seen by linesman and two appeal committees uphold it and he still gets off.

The whole appeal system needs a serious revamp. One appeal and you're done. And getting off needs to be far harder.

armaghniac

The DRA reflects what they believe would happen in a court. As long as a court might let offenders off then this will occur. A referee's job is impossible; he cannot employ CSI to investigate, but has to decide on the spot. If teams oppose the spirit of the game, as Dublin did in this case, then we will have complete chaos.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ashman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 05, 2015, 07:41:47 AM
I doubt anyone is surprised by that decision. The GAA is just a mirror of Irish society, how often do we see the courts come down in favour of the big boys. We are all equal but some are more equal than others.
Agree but it is everyone who tries to bend rules and "pull a stroke".

As I said the economic crash reflected this and Dr Merkel can not be blamed for insisting we pony up every last cent.

David McKeown

The DRA wouldn't have been looking at the merits of the decision to ban Connolly and instead would have been concentrating on whether or not the procedures were correctly followed. Having been involved in disciplinary matters for a number of sports of the last number of years I can tell you that it can often be difficult for administrators particularly those not from a legal background to always follow the procedures to the standards required. It's not a situation that's unique to the GAA and it is one that is very difficult to prevent against. Particularly when those on the receiving end of suspensions are willing to engage lawyers to fight their appeals.

2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

screenexile

Brolly covered this in his article last week... The rules were written by laymen and being picked apart by top of the range legal teams. The sooner they rewrite the rulebook with legal guidance the better.

The appeals committees are ordinary lads up against a top of the range legal team but when the legal cases are brought to the DRA the rules are being pored over to a degree not foreseen when they were written.

Horrible decision but not surprising. With the resources The GAA have available there is no excuse for our rulebook to be picked apart so easily and so often!!

Rodman

Quote from: David McKeown on September 05, 2015, 08:38:18 AM
The DRA wouldn't have been looking at the merits of the decision to ban Connolly and instead would have been concentrating on whether or not the procedures were correctly followed. Having been involved in disciplinary matters for a number of sports of the last number of years I can tell you that it can often be difficult for administrators particularly those not from a legal background to always follow the procedures to the standards required. It's not a situation that's unique to the GAA and it is one that is very difficult to prevent against. Particularly when those on the receiving end of suspensions are willing to engage lawyers to fight their appeals.

Well that's a joke and the GAA need to change this. A players suspension should be determined by the actions of a player on the pitch, not by the actions of the county board administration team. Surely the GAA can change this. This is sport and we can allow it to be run by smart ass lawyers, some who probably have zero involvement in the game.

INDIANA

Quote from: Rodman on September 05, 2015, 08:57:36 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on September 05, 2015, 08:38:18 AM

Well that's a joke and the GAA need to change this. A players suspension should be determined by the actions of a player on the pitch, not by the actions of the county board administration team. Surely the GAA can change this. This is sport and we can allow it to be run by smart ass lawyers, some who probably have zero involvement in the game.

Kevin Keane got him off. That's the irony

DuffleKing

You're missing a very fundamental point here wobbler.
The DRA does not adjudicate anything except procedure and the application of rule. I haven't seen their ruling yet but they won't have deliberated on did he or didn't he strike - they will have been asked to consider a specific element of the disciplinary procedure that Dublin feel was not properly applied.

It is not for the DRA to have a moral position on any of these cases nor to consider the implications of their rulings.

Syferus

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 05, 2015, 09:29:40 AM

The DRA does not adjudicate anything except procedure and the application of rule. I haven't seen their ruling yet but they won't have deliberated on did he or didn't he strike - they will have been asked to consider a specific element of the disciplinary procedure that Dublin feel was not properly applied.

It is not for the DRA to have a moral position on any of these cases nor to consider the implications of their rulings.

Players should not be able to get their ban rescinded by the DRA.

Itchy

Either way Duffle, this is damaging for the GAA as a man who was clearly guilty of striking has got away Scott free.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on September 05, 2015, 09:33:00 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on September 05, 2015, 09:29:40 AM

Players should not be able to get their ban rescinded by the DRA.

You forgot the bit where all Dublin players can't get their bans rescinded but everyone else can.