Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Never won any all irelands though or  close...

EOC1923

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 16, 2023, 04:03:20 PM
Have the country teams raised the standard or have the city teams just got worse. A bit of both?

I ask this because it seems to me that our county underage teams are no better than they ever were and are possibly worse.

And if I expand this out to senior club football, trying to tread carefully as I know they can be sensitive on here. Cargin posters - I'm not having a pop at your club!!

Cargin are undoubtedly and deservedly the standard bearers in Antrim football currently. Do you think that Cargin's current team are of a higher standard than their team that wasn't winning many championships 10-15 years ago?
I think Cargins current team full out are better than 10-15 years ago, though not at that level of St Galls All Ireland winners. That was an exceptional team.
We have kept a consistent standard throughout while others have dropped off. Only my opinion

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 16, 2023, 04:40:16 PM

Injury time sucker goal lost in semifinal against one of the best teams never to win an All Ireland Clann naGael.. 2 up lost by one !!

But yes, that generational team that won the big prize was something else, but borne from hard work and huge input by many
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2023, 03:59:30 PM
Quote from: Caesar on August 16, 2023, 03:54:40 PM
Have you any thoughts on why the city teams in particular seem to be struggling at underage? What has changed in the city that doesn't apply to the country boys?

Doing a lot of under age games and Naomh Brid (Belfast) seem to be doing rightly at underage lately as are St Paul's..

As mentioned taking your eye off the underage and channeling energies into senior only will only reduce the counties ability to get better

GNM seem to be doing good work

InnocentByStander

Have you any thoughts on why the city teams in particular seem to be struggling at underage? What has changed in the city that doesn't apply to the country boys?

Said this on here a few times, don't think too many agree but i believe schools have a massive part to play, Antrim the only county in Ulster not represented at macrory level. Look at the clubs performing well over recent years ourselves creggan and aghagllon all tend to send their children to schools outside of Antrim and competing at high level in schools football.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2023, 04:53:13 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 16, 2023, 04:40:16 PM

Injury time sucker goal lost in semifinal against one of the best teams never to win an All Ireland Clann naGael.. 2 up lost by one !!

But yes, that generational team that won the big prize was something else, but borne from hard work and huge input by many

It was a 6 county effort
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Saffrongael

Quote from: NorthAntrim on August 16, 2023, 05:00:54 PM

Doing a lot of under age games and Naomh Brid (Belfast) seem to be doing rightly at underage lately as are St Paul's..

As mentioned taking your eye off the underage and channeling energies into senior only will only reduce the counties ability to get better

GNM have good U-15 teams (relatively speaking) in both codes. They are struggling under that age to field in hurling for example. I wouldn't accuse a team in Belfast of not "putting the work in", I have seen the challenges at first hand.

They are varied, soccer, the number of clubs, kids not practicing from one week to the next and don't come back. If a club doesent have numbers they are behind the 8 ball already. St Brigids have huge numbers at football (not so at hurling)

St Paul's are strong in football and hurling from U-11 up to U-15, not sure about U-17.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: InnocentByStander on August 16, 2023, 05:01:00 PM

Said this on here a few times, don't think too many agree but i believe schools have a massive part to play, Antrim the only county in Ulster not represented at macrory level. Look at the clubs performing well over recent years ourselves creggan and aghagllon all tend to send their children to schools outside of Antrim and competing at high level in schools football.

So the teams that did well that didn't send their kids to schools outside of Antrim did ok?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I think they are up there in under 17 too. Gnm had a minor team not far off as good as the minor team with Mick McCann on it and had a few good years but probably never kicked on. I think, taboo as this may sound, city teams struggle more with player retention.

It'll be very interesting seeing how st brigid's go over the next few years. They are up there at underage every year it seems.

marty34

Quote from: EOC1923 on August 16, 2023, 04:47:40 PM
Have the country teams raised the standard or have the city teams just got worse. A bit of both?

I ask this because it seems to me that our county underage teams are no better than they ever were and are possibly worse.

And if I expand this out to senior club football, trying to tread carefully as I know they can be sensitive on here. Cargin posters - I'm not having a pop at your club!!

Cargin are undoubtedly and deservedly the standard bearers in Antrim football currently. Do you think that Cargin's current team are of a higher standard than their team that wasn't winning many championships 10-15 years ago?
I think Cargins current team full out are better than 10-15 years ago, though not at that level of St Galls All Ireland winners. That was an exceptional team.
We have kept a consistent standard throughout while others have dropped off. Only my opinion

St. Galls were better alright. Won an All-Ireland etc.

Cargin have won a few Antrim titles but, as of yet, have done very little in Ulster.

As I said previously, they need to look beyond Antrim instead of their supporters on here talking up winning another Antrim title.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on August 16, 2023, 05:19:21 PM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on August 16, 2023, 05:00:54 PM

GNM have good U-15 teams (relatively speaking) in both codes. They are struggling under that age to field in hurling for example. I wouldn't accuse a team in Belfast of not "putting the work in", I have seen the challenges at first hand.

They are varied, soccer, the number of clubs, kids not practicing from one week to the next and don't come back. If a club doesent have numbers they are behind the 8 ball already. St Brigids have huge numbers at football (not so at hurling)

St Paul's are strong in football and hurling from U-11 up to U-15, not sure about U-17.

So single code teams should be better prepared, numbers, training, structures than say a dual club

EOC1923

Quote from: marty34 on August 16, 2023, 05:49:46 PM

Cargin have won a few Antrim titles but, as of yet, have done very little in Ulster.

As I said previously, they need to look beyond Antrim instead of their supporters on here talking up winning another Antrim title.
In our whole history we've on only played in Ulster 9 different seasons and won games in two of those. Maybe this could be our year to go further if we win this easy Antrim championship you are talking about.

Sportacus

Quote from: InnocentByStander on August 16, 2023, 05:01:00 PM

Jaysus don't be me mentioning schools on here.  You'll get ate.

marty34

Quote from: EOC1923 on August 16, 2023, 06:25:46 PM

In our whole history we've on only played in Ulster 9 different seasons and won games in two of those. Maybe this could be our year to go further if we win this easy Antrim championship you are talking about.

I never said it was easy.

Just a serious amount of childish stuff on here regarding other clubs and Cargin and who is favourites etc. Bit childish.

Cargin have been in Ulster club a few years now but not much progress.

You're right, this could be the year IF they get out of Antrim.

EOC1923

Quote from: marty34 on August 16, 2023, 08:20:44 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on August 16, 2023, 06:25:46 PM

I never said it was easy.

Just a serious amount of childish stuff on here regarding other clubs and Cargin and who is favourites etc. Bit childish.

Cargin have been in Ulster club a few years now but not much progress.

You're right, this could be the year IF they get out of Antrim.
You just said they should be looking at Ulster not Antrim, now you're saying "if" they get out of Antrim. Make your mind up