Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 31, 2023, 02:46:45 PM
Quote from: Caesar on July 31, 2023, 01:50:45 PM
Out of interest, are there any rules in particular that seem to be commonly misunderstood by the players?

I think players need to know how to tackle better, I don't know if its poor coaching or deliberate coaching. Slapping and pulling the hand, players seem to think they have done no wrong.

Football is too personal, the macho stuff is cringy and the shouting and ganching when people take a score or miss is pure shite!

what is the official ruling of the square ball now?

Would ye whist

You couldn't make it up, the man who spends his time on here giving the establishment, rule makers and ref a hard time asking what the square ball rule is  ;)

Quote from: InnocentByStander on July 31, 2023, 02:51:43 PM
Out of interest, are there any rules in particular that seem to be commonly misunderstood by the players?

I think players need to know how to tackle better, I don't know if its poor coaching or deliberate coaching. Slapping and pulling the hand, players seem to think they have done no wrong.

Football is too personal, the macho stuff is cringy and the shouting and ganching when people take a score or miss is pure shite!

InnocentByStander

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 31, 2023, 02:50:53 PM
Philly McMahon was very poor on the rules.

Oisin McConville was also very poor on his rules, in previous games

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Would ye whist on July 31, 2023, 02:55:42 PM
You couldn't make it up, the man who spends his time on here giving the establishment, rule makers and ref a hard time asking what the square ball rule is  ;)

Quote from: InnocentByStander on July 31, 2023, 02:51:43 PM

If you have free time on your hands go through my posts there are as many posts praising refs as much as giving off one of them even being MR2  :-* :-*

Also got to make sure i know i am right when giving off   ;D ;D

podge

On the rules point, as a hurling follower, can someone explain how was the Kerry goal just before half time not a double bounce ? Does the fact that he didn't catch it again make the difference ?

InnocentByStander

Whats the craic with that u19 league seems to be a complete shambles going by the county website?

Saffrongael

Quote from: InnocentByStander on July 31, 2023, 03:59:59 PM
Whats the craic with that u19 league seems to be a complete shambles going by the county website?

Is anyone surprised? There is no need for it
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: podge on July 31, 2023, 03:54:30 PM
On the rules point, as a hurling follower, can someone explain how was the Kerry goal just before half time not a double bounce ? Does the fact that he didn't catch it again make the difference ?

Watching it through the phone on Sunday wasn't clear to me that he doubled bounced the ball, haven't seen a better view on it to give my view (for what  its worth lol) but Deegan I think gave a decent response to it.

But there was no gurning from the Dubs on the pitch where it happened, that generally gives you a good idea
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SaffronSports

Quote from: podge on July 31, 2023, 03:54:30 PM

From what Deegan said, when he drops/bounces the ball for the second time because he then kicks it back up into his hand it doesn't count as a bounce and therefore goal was good.

Funniest bit was Murphy not really understanding that and think they meant the ball actually bounced into his foot rather than the turf.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 31, 2023, 04:26:54 PM
I'm content that the goal stood tbh as he did try to rectify it but I'm not sure where Deegan is reading that in the rules.
You aren't allowed to bounce the ball more than once consecutively. Geaney bounced it twice before kicking it up into his hands. By the actual rule he fouled the ball.
The second one wasn't a completed bounce because he didn't catch it. He realised halfway through the bounce that it would be a double bounce if he caught it so kicked it back up to himself. Just goes down as two separate possessions

marty34

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 31, 2023, 04:47:39 PM
Again, no mention in the rules of catching it after the bounce.

Though, as I say, I'm content that it should be that.

Seems he didn't complete the full second bounce so he technically didn't bounce the ball a 2nd time.

There was no discussion on it by the officials on the field.

I wonder did he realise what was happening and flicked it up to himself again - if he did, fair play as it was very quick thinking and him in front of goal.

GiveItToTheShooters

It's no different to a hurler batting the sliotar off the ground and catching it again to give them another opportunity to play the ball. Bounced it without catching or dropped it or whatever, it just goes down as two separate possessions. Nothing to see here

GiveItToTheShooters

Milltown Row2

If not in 'possession' of the ball you can 'bounce' all the way down the pitch
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Tonight's Laverty Cup final has been cancelled on the morning of the match. What a farce of a county.