Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Definitely not EOC! Brian's young lad Conor is still 12 and as good as they come at that age. Brian not involved at county level, he heads up juvenile development at the club. Good operator too.

Impressed by St Paul's under 15s tonight, looking very well coached and full of decent players.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on June 16, 2022, 10:15:58 PM
Definitely not EOC! Brian's young lad Conor is still 12 and as good as they come at that age. Brian not involved at county level, he heads up juvenile development at the club. Good operator too.

Impressed by St Paul's under 15s tonight, looking very well coached and full of decent players.

Ref'd them the other week and was very impressed also...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on June 16, 2022, 10:14:49 PM
Think the SW clubs just need to get some good structures in place , put the work in and dry their eyes! Maybe just maybe the Belfsdt clubs have better players at this age ?   ??

Maybe....but a few S West lads won Mc Crory medals this year....
If you care to dander down to Toome on any evening .and you will see the work ethic involved in development the.under age teams led by lads I am sure you will recognise.
Then come on any Saturday to get a gander at the huge numbers attending the nursery groups....
Am sure such or replicated all.over the division....

Belfast GAA man

Any hurling going on ? One code club only . Do u chase anyon who wants to hurl ?

country bumpkin

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on June 16, 2022, 10:45:18 PM
Any hurling going on ? One code club only . Do u chase anyon who wants to hurl ?
Tried hurling.....never a success but did win a hurling title way back....1937 JHC....Erins Own...

By the way do you ever indulge in football in your domain or is that 'someone else' or just another WUM......u decide..?

Spike

The population of the West Belfast electoral district alone is 45,000.  Portglenone is 1200.  I think they are doing well holding their own.   

barnish oggie

Quote from: Ghost+Tommy on June 16, 2022, 07:45:56 PM
The sessions I've seen, a fella from pg1 involved,thinks he runs the show,speaking to a few father's watching he's also manages pg1 teams his lad involved in, overbearing to say the least,very loud

;D i know who it is you mean!

barnish oggie

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on June 16, 2022, 10:14:49 PM
Think the SW clubs just need to get some good structures in place , put the work in and dry their eyes! Maybe just maybe the Belfsdt clubs have better players at this age ?   ??

I would say St Brigids and St Pauls are definitely the best 2 clubs at u15 this year.

They do have a good number of very good players, although how many are on the u14 development squad and how many are on the u15 i wouldn't know, there is a chance that a lot are in the older age category.

But outside those two i would say there are as many players from SW as there are from other teams that are every bit as good, yet it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say the split is 70/30 between Belfast and SW in that u14 age group, which certainly isn't a true reflection.

As i said before, there are a few St Pauls B players in that squad ahead of lads from Div 1 SW teams, which just doesn't ring true based on their ability, and i have watched them play a good few times over the last couple of years.

It seems more that they are intending on developing their own players rather than that actual intention, which is building a panel of the strongest players to develop them as a team for the future.

Milltown Row2

Love a good City country gurning session on Friday  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 17, 2022, 10:19:58 AM
When is it that the SW plays Belfast so we can settle this entirely futile argument once and for all?

::)

And then will you still be someone else......or remain a ditch based anonomous WUM.......not  sure where u stand

barnish oggie

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on June 17, 2022, 10:19:58 AM
When is it that the SW plays Belfast so we can settle this entirely futile argument once and for all?

::)

I think, while your comment was in jest, it would be a good thing to have at the end of each year.

A SW select vs South Antrim at each age group show piece game, after the championship.

quit yo jibbajabba

That be great for city/country relations. Cant see what could go wrong 😂😂😂

Here in Derry we are thinking of doing a North/South one. Previous years winner gets first choice of weapons for the next year. Tho North Derry cant choose their wemen as choice of weapon. That be too much

barnish oggie

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 17, 2022, 03:41:44 PM
That be great for city/country relations. Cant see what could go wrong 😂😂😂

Here in Derry we are thinking of doing a North/South one. Previous years winner gets first choice of weapons for the next year. Tho North Derry cant choose their wemen as choice of weapon. That be too much

to be fair they hammer the shite out of each other all year during league and championship so one more game wouldn't make a difference!  ;D

paddyjohn

I think we should get the refs and the journos to combine a team and play a city/country select. 😉

Christmas Lights

Do St John's not have a minor or under 20 team?? What's the deal there?