Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Was Sean Burns not originally from St. Enda's and Mark McCrory from Clann Eireann in Lurgan

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on December 07, 2021, 11:26:09 AM
Was Sean Burns not originally from St. Enda's and Mark McCrory from Clann Eireann in Lurgan

Played 2 years minor for us Sean, did. Managed to win senior championship as a minor. Mark, well I'm sure there is a reason why he left, his dad was a great help too on the sidelines.

No one recruits these lads to be fair, I was very friendly with Sean during our playing days at juvenile, we played on the same county teams also at that age, I didn't recruit him, he made a choice to come. Clutching at straws guys, but hey knock yourselves out.

Why did Gerard O'Boyle leave?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stiffler

Some bickering going on here the last few days.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 07, 2021, 11:49:12 AM

Played 2 years minor for us Sean, did. Managed to win senior championship as a minor. Mark, well I'm sure there is a reason why he left, his dad was a great help too on the sidelines.

No one recruits these lads to be fair, I was very friendly with Sean during our playing days at juvenile, we played on the same county teams also at that age, I didn't recruit him, he made a choice to come. Clutching at straws guys, but hey knock yourselves out.

Why did Gerard O'Boyle leave?

Personal reasons or a falling out as far as I remember.

country bumpkin

[/quote
Add the O'Neill brothers, Colm Brady, a couple from Lisburn, and not forgetting John Rafferty and Paddy Quinn.....

Lár na páirce 1

Add, Ciaran mccrossan(Tyrone) mcgirr(Tyrone) two gallaghers(fermanagh) rafferty (Armagh) brady(St endas) o'neill(mcdermotts) suppose just to name a few really in more recent times

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on December 07, 2021, 12:00:06 PM

Add, Ciaran mccrossan(Tyrone) mcgirr(Tyrone) two gallaghers(fermanagh) rafferty (Armagh) brady(St endas) o'neill(mcdermotts) suppose just to name a few really in more recent times

Brady played juvenile for us, his dad was a senior hurler for us who I played alongside, His dad played juvenile.
McCrossan, McGirr, Gallagher (one of) Rafferty all work related as in jobs in Belfast.
Oneill's all juvenile from under 12, I was manager of under 12 teams and Nial was in that team from under 10

On that note, are there clubs out there who haven't brought in a player or manager? If there is then they are clean ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

Best to park all the BS lads

geezer

City clubs are always going to benefit from players coming to belfast for work. Same with dublin, cork etc. thats just the way it is.

paddyjohn

Spike

Maybe the point has been lost in the noise but St Galls' super success was boosted with a different process than your typical Antrim club and without such may have been just an excellent club side in Antrim rather than the All -Ireland champions.   

Your typical Antrim club needs an environmental change and shift in local culture allied to proper structures in order to get to anywhere to the position that Bannside is aiming for.  That takes time, belief, confidence and a complete change in mindset within and around the club community.   

The question is are Antrim Gaels capable of that?  Can we create that culture or is there too much distraction, apathy or lack of will?  Would the Antrim team ever be household names in the county?

Milltown Row2

bannside

Indeed Spike. This is a long process, and the only guaranteed result is if a club puts in proper work in its juvenile division.

Get your best coaches in here. The most important sub committee in any club should be juvenile development committee. Invest in your youth and the dividends will flow.

I've said it before. In PG1 anything happening at senior level is playing second fiddle to the Trojan work going on at juvenile level. There's not one person here would dispute that or challenge it either.

Do we expect to see this manifest itself at senior level in 8 -10 years? You bet we do!