Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

Portglenone were evidently happy enough to play the 2nd period of extra time.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

bannside

He's talking about a great hit from a Cargin defender about 5 mins from end of Cargin v Creggan. I watched it in a full room,  opinion was evenly divided.

EOC1923

Quote from: Calm Down on October 31, 2021, 10:45:53 PM
Question is would PG1 appeal if Cargin awaited them in the final? I doubt it

Also Dile is there a club out there that promised you a paid job and didn't pay you or something, ffs man would you ever dry uo
I'll reiterate both points her CD

JimStynes

Quote from: Flanker on October 31, 2021, 10:48:17 PM
Quote from: bannside on October 31, 2021, 10:43:11 PM
No Jim. It appears that the rules of the competition were not adhered to. That's a lot different to what you are implying.

If the rules are broken PG1are within their rights to appeal. I would expect nothing less than St Mary's to do the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot. You can't make the rules up as you go along.

BS were PG1 made aware of the finish on the day guidelines as mentioned by Delgany earlier

He seems to indicate secretaries & clubs were made aware

If correct were PG1 officials demanding penalties at the end of extra time?

No. They were happy to play extra extra time. They're really letting themselves down here. I would understand more if we had a clear advantage going into the extra extra time but we didn't. It was winner takes all and we won. Sour grapes after a brilliant game of football. Wise up PG1

Gold

Quote from: stiffler on October 31, 2021, 10:49:30 PM
Portglenone were evidently happy enough to play the 2nd period of extra time.

"We're happy to play here but only if we win. We're going home and  taking our ball"

F me lads
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Calm Down

They are Dile however in an earlier post you tried to cry a claim of libel and were off course, in this instance say we applied the law of breach of contract/tort where the remedy from appeal is to put PG1
In the position they would have been bar the breach, therefore the remedy if either 1. Penalties with no other action by either or 2. Accept the result of the basis of quantum merit I.e PG1 got what they deserved with ET played

Also what club owes you?
Quote from: Dine Inteacht Eile on October 31, 2021, 10:46:54 PM
Quote from: Calm Down on October 31, 2021, 10:45:53 PM
Question is would PG1 appeal if Cargin awaited them in the final? I doubt it

Also Dile is there a club out there that promised you a paid job and didn't pay you or something, ffs man would you ever dry uo
Rules are rules? Just sometimes.

rogercasement

I hear there are a few lads away home early!!!
Not pg1s fault the county board ballsed up. Similarly all those years when a ref didn't play all the injury time in all ireland hurling semi, it wasn't offalys fault!

Calm Down

RC go to bed pal you were beaten, ffs due with a bit of dignity

Calm Down

Dile you are chatting  without an once of coherence or logic  what is your remedy for a breach of protocol (not law) for today? Restart the whole championship?

BYW when you get personal you have lost the debate my friend

JimStynes

It's in the Irish news about PG1 looking the replay. Embarrassing. Take your beaten ffs. They're be no talk of reply if Cargin were in the final.

Caesar

Its a tricky one.

Both teams played by the same rules on the day. Aghagallon gained no advantage from the rules change and won fair and square. Deservedly so, they were the better team.

However if Portglenone have been knocked out of the championship after a period of extra time that should never have take place, you would fully expect them to appeal.

Let's not pretend that there's a single club in the county who wouldn't appeal with a potential county final in the balance.

Calm Down

Who made the call yesterday as to ET was it the ref or county reps?

bannside

Jim i agree that an appeal does look to the outside world as petty, and 100% if the shoe was on the other foot I would be saying the same thing. I'm not on committee for a couple of years now so I am not involved in whatever happens, but I can tell you what the feeling is here, if that at least puts some clarity on the thought process.

IF the rules state that the game should have gone to penalties, then those are the rules. Simple as. For what it's worth we have good penalty takers, scored all 5 in last years shoot out with St Galls. You missed your penalty yesterday in normal time. Had it gone to penalties I would have been very confident, and PG1 may well have been in a county final.

Someone decreed that it shouldn't have gone to penalties, that may or may not have been a mistake. Let's see what the rules say. Casements should not be put in the position where it may have lost out because of an administrative error.

Also, for what it's worth, you were the better team. You cut us wide open several times for goal chances, we could not make that happen at the other end. Unless there is major surgery to our defence you will still come out top if a rematch is needed.

Truth hurts

The game should have gone to penalties, replay, end of! Not the fault of either club but stupidity from Antrim GAA officials.

Flanker

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 01, 2021, 09:16:52 AM
The game should have gone to penalties, replay, end of! Not the fault of either club but stupidity from Antrim GAA officials.
If as indicated earlier in the thread clubs were made aware of the finish on the day guidelines / rules.... do the clubs officials and managers not have a degree of responsibility to know what they are.

If so is there not a bit of shared stupidity at play.. Easy option is to point the finger....

In more general terms would it not be simpler to have a clear set of rules across all counties for all grades of adult championship games for finish on the day and replay situations. Looking across different levels and counties it appears to be a mix of everything