Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrendanAntrim

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on October 07, 2019, 05:13:50 PM
St brigids choked again also

Really? I saw them playing well against another good side and losing by 4 points. But if denigrating kids is your thing work away.

BigBallWeeBall

Not running down the lads but losing Minor finals has been a bad habit for your club. Hence the choke remark, just stating the facts
Brendan

BrendanAntrim

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on October 07, 2019, 09:29:29 PM
Not running down the lads but losing Minor finals has been a bad habit for your club. Hence the choke remark, just stating the facts
Brendan

Yeah lost two in 21 year history 🙄, does that constitute a habit?

KeyboardWarriorRepellent

Some harsh comments about a team that reaches the minor final...Opens the door for more negativity from the keyboard warriors on this forum..Coulda,woulda,shoulda... blah blah blah...Any good news anyone? or is that not allowed here..Let the negativity roll now.....

north aontroim gael

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on October 07, 2019, 05:13:50 PM
St brigids choked again also

How did they choke in this final or the one versus Dunloy? I was at both games and the better team won both matches. That can happen. Losing doesn't equal choking.

belfastsaff

Quote from: bannside on October 07, 2019, 07:45:06 PM
I'd say Lenny will have seen plenty of young talent starting to emerge and expect half a dozen or more new faces in next years panel. He has been at, or represented at nearly every championship game including junior and intermediate, and will have a new shortlist of players he is keen on. I'd go as far as suggest too that Lenny he has a very open mind on recalling a few veterans (two or three from Mick Justy Tomas Pollock Niblock Paddy C etc) if they show any desire or hunger to commit to the cause. At this stage I'd be very optimistic that next year will see a more competitive panel...all we need is to get off to a good start in our first few matches and the momentum would grow from there.

It would be good too if the traditional support would return. An extra three or four hundred at our home games would make a huge difference.

lenny can make all the short lists he wants bannside but nobody in the right mind would goto that set up. 5 nights a week for a div 4 push and at best a win in the qualifiers. I can see why the mick,justys ,Pollock and healys etc's don't go near it.

Belfast GAA man

Positivity is this years county final . Remember lasts years 5 to 4 final . Also PG1 emergence as a serious team

Spike

Harsh on St Brigids.  Got off to a horrible start and found it hard to break down a resolute defence. I don't think you could say players choked or didnt turn up. they got close and then Cargin got a breakaway point to seal the win.  These things happen, but to a man they gave their all.

In the Seniors LD looked 'up for it' while Cargin looked very flat.  The last few mins Cargin stepped it up a gear and LD collapsed.  The questions should be will Cargin be as poor again for such a long period or can LD start and maintain their pressure from the outset?  Makes for an intriguing match.   

bannside

Of the players you mention BelfastSaff Id expect Peter Healy to be involved. Hes still young and relatively fresh, two Sigerson cup finals under his belt and hopefully the hunger to represent Antrim in the coming years. Of the older brigade you mention Id say Lenny wouldnt go near any player who hasnt still got a fire burning for Antrim, but might put a bespoke plan in place for one or two vets who still show the essential desire.

Na Glinntí Glasa

U21 championship starts this weekend. 7 groups of 3 with the top all into the 'A' along with one best placed runner up

all other teams into the 'B' championship. 11am starts for the games on a sunday morning. some very tough groups
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 08, 2019, 10:46:08 AM
U21 championship starts this weekend. 7 groups of 3 with the top all into the 'A' along with one best placed runner up

all other teams into the 'B' championship. 11am starts for the games on a sunday morning. some very tough groups
I see that. Cargin and LD down to play - surely they should have fixtures for the teams not involved instead of those 2? with many not playing this weekend - like the way they r running it instead of straight knockout

Na Glinntí Glasa

st endas and ourselves are both in it whilst still being in the ulster hurling competitions. Its just one of them things that happens.

extremely poor timing for the competition yet again imo
hurl like f**k boi!

saffman

St endas were actually kicked outt've the competition last year despite having an all ireland campaign.
Its just the way these things fall, fulfill fixtures and hope there isnt too much of an overlap

BigBallWeeBall

Quote from: Spike on October 08, 2019, 09:27:59 AM
Harsh on St Brigids.  Got off to a horrible start and found it hard to break down a resolute defence. I don't think you could say players choked or didnt turn up. they got close and then Cargin got a breakaway point to seal the win.  These things happen, but to a man they gave their all.

In the Seniors LD looked 'up for it' while Cargin looked very flat.  The last few mins Cargin stepped it up a gear and LD collapsed.  The questions should be will Cargin be as poor again for such a long period or can LD start and maintain their pressure from the outset?  Makes for an intriguing match.
I previously said St Brids choked in recent minor showpiece & had habit of losing finals. I stand corrected on this as it was just 2 finals but I'm sure numerous semis have been lost as well when they were expected to progress.
However, again they were the odds on favourites and failed to perform on the big day, ie choked. Its just my observation and opinion.
The favoured tactics of '' goals win games'' at all costs came up short & there did not appear to be a credible Plan B from the sideline. Perhaps they were too accustomed to winning that it was too big a challenge to come from behind despite their undoubted skill, flair and pace.
In work it was obvious that West Belfast clubs are envious of St Brids massive success at juvenile level over past 10 years and also of their perceived extensive financial resources.
A lot of clubs have not been fielding juvenile teams due to falling numbers while St Brids have had 2 teams in juvenile leagues @10/12/14
Despite the large player numbers and good support they seem to suffer stage fright at the business end of juvenile level...their day will come no doubt.

paddyjohn

Belfast as a whole needs to get their fingers out. A potential South West treble in the Football and 2/3 outta in the hurling won by NA clubs and people would argue that Gort Na Mona shouldn't of been in the Junior. Minor Football A + B won by SW clubs and Minor hurling won by a NA team. GAA in the city struggling? The good things outta the city this year was MR2 finally reaching his potential and Colm McDonald performances in the big games.  ;) :-X