Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on October 05, 2017, 09:07:58 AM
Quote from: bit of banter on October 04, 2017, 11:45:56 PM
Mr2 im totally happy with lennys appointment, i feel he had the best cv of all applicants. I am totally behind him and i feel he will do a good job if he gets the support of the players and off course the clubs and county board but his backroom team will be important as it will be a selling point to players committing. I just find it strange that we dont know who he has helping out. Surely if applying for the post and being interviewed he would have had to disclose this at the time. Alot has been made of other applicants backroom teams being of the highest calibre people so alot of people do see the backroom team as being very importan, which it is .

It is strange.......but this is antrim.

Either he doesnt have one (which questions how he got the job in the first place) or he cant disclose until they have completed their commitments to other clubs (which is totally understandable).  What is certain is that with such an underwhelming choice as manager, his backroom staff needs to be a big sell.  Hopefully lenny will produce some credible names very shortly as most championship campaigns are over for clubs

You keep saying that you think Lenny is a nice guy and has had a good record as a manager but persist in using the word underwhelming....

So what should a manager bring to the table Spike? and spare me the backroom team for a second.... as you can have the best backroom team in the land but the players still need to turn up and have the right attitude and execute the plan.

still waiting on hearing who were the other backroom team for the other candidates, I'd be very disappointed if they turned out to be just a regular trainer and S&C 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

I think the whole Lenny and management discussion has been talked about until its nearly tedious at this stage, Lenny is in and we'll find out in due course who his backroom team is and we'll chew the fat again about it. I don't think it matters who JMK & AOR backroom teams were going to be, that doesn't matter now apart from cheap point scoring on this board.

The only way is up for us as a county with regards Football, is Lenny the man to take us forward? Time will tell.

Full grading round of Un21 fixtures this weekend, some crackers in store like St Endas V Creggan and Dunloy Vs Rossa likely the pick of the round. Also a the SFC semi replay, I think Cargin could just shade it this time.

Hejustkeepsdroppingballs

U21 Weekend

Our game with Rossa is off with senior hurling sunday and intermediate football final next week

Spike

You keep saying that you think Lenny is a nice guy and has had a good record as a manager but persist in using the word underwhelming....

So what should a manager bring to the table Spike? and spare me the backroom team for a second.... as you can have the best backroom team in the land but the players still need to turn up and have the right attitude and execute the plan.

still waiting on hearing who were the other backroom team for the other candidates, I'd be very disappointed if they turned out to be just a regular trainer and S&C
[/quote]

Well his appointment is underwhelming unfortunately. And even more unfortunate is that a large swathe of players think so too so unless he can prove his staff are different from what went before, the players wont buy in or commit.  'Fool you once, same on me.  fool me twice....'

MR2, dont underestimate just how poorly this appointment has gone down butvwe are where we are. The sales pitch is lennys problem now.

Re semi final replay, would be surprised if Cargin dont respond to sundays match. Can they be that bad again?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on October 05, 2017, 11:55:36 AM

Well his appointment is underwhelming unfortunately. And even more unfortunate is that a large swathe of players think so too so unless he can prove his staff are different from what went before, the players wont buy in or commit.  'Fool you once, same on me.  fool me twice....'

MR2, dont underestimate just how poorly this appointment has gone down butvwe are where we are. The sales pitch is lennys problem now.

Re semi final replay, would be surprised if Cargin dont respond to sundays match. Can they be that bad again?
[/quote]

Well we'll leave it at that, you'll hardly be at the games to support Antrim so wont be waiting on any match reports and the swathe of players not playing for Antrim now (based on your knowledge) will have a long 3 years to rest up and enjoy their club football..

As for the Johnnies Cargin game, Cargin would need to come out of the blocks a lot quicker, they had a strong enough wind in the first half but it didnt suit their play or the match ups.. The Johnnies just ran out of gas in the end and that may be the biggest factor going into this replay, also 2 main players missing for the Johnnies wont help as their bench isnt as strong as Cargins.

But should Cargin play the same it will be a close affair, they will need to workout how to beat the defensive system, and the Johnnies will need convert all their chances to get the win.. Should be another good crowd going as its further up the SW than Lamhs pitch
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bit of banter

So what are we saying should we have gathered all the players round and let them decide who should be appointed. Thats whats been wrong players want too much say and have to much influence, we need players to buy in to playing for their county having pride in the jersey and becoming role models for tbe younger development squad and club players to aspire too. We have none of that and in my opinion thats more important that the manager and the backroom team.
On that note last year Antrim senior players had access to Manager,coach, s&c coach, physios, player analysis, gps tracking  , food after training and always excellent hotel facilities for away matches so i really cant wait until i see a professional set up like the ones being talked about here, really cant see what else players could want for especially playing in div 4.

Spike

Yes a boxer taking gaa trainings sounds like a professional set up all right.

Players cant pick manager butits their choice whether to turn out or not. Antrim board has made their choice a straightforwars one.

Anyway, MR2, tend to agree with u re cargin game. Hard to tell if johnnies blew up or couldnt make the tactical response once Cargin changed theirs. Should be interesting though.

BrendanAntrim

Quote from: Spike on October 05, 2017, 04:15:48 PM

Players cant pick manager butits their choice whether to turn out or not. Antrim board has made their choice a straightforwars one.

A straightforward choice, not to play, really? If any player chooses not to play simply based on their preferred manager of choice not getting the job, well, are they the guys we want playing for the county?

bit of banter

Is Bernard Dunn not working with the Dublin team.
Dont forget Mick McGurn was in not too long ago.

Spike

Quote from: bit of banter on October 05, 2017, 05:58:48 PM
Is Bernard Dunn not working with the Dublin team.
Dont forget Mick McGurn was in not too long ago.

Some difference between antrim physiques and dublins so either we are genetically inferior in this part of Ireland or the wrong conditioning methods were used. No point of using mike for a year.

Spike

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on October 05, 2017, 05:06:33 PM
Quote from: Spike on October 05, 2017, 04:15:48 PM

A straightforward choice, not to play, really? If any player chooses not to play simply based on their preferred manager of choice not getting the job, well, are they the guys we want playing for the county?

Thats the whole point - theyve been burned too many times b4 and anyway if they cant be convinced its better to have full commitment from those who turn up

bit of banter

No point giving guys strength and conditioning if they havnt the other attributes to be a county footballer.
S&c needs to be part of their lifestyles from early age thats why we need a proper one for development squads. Antrim need a dull time s&c coach working with all antrim squads bringing new ones in every year or so means were starting all over again. Pretty pointless

delgany

Peter Donnelly  available if  the vision move quickly .. a  snip at £40 000 per year !

bit of banter

Well that would be a great investment £40,000 to look after all Antrims S&C with oppertunity to train up some Antrim players with an interest in the subject. Guys who could after a while and with his guidance take on development squads and even run workshops for clubs and coaches. Much better than footballers and hurlers u21 squads all paying different coaches when we could have a full time coach in place.

Milltown Row2

40 grand to tell a student/player how to train and look after their body?? Am I missing something here? Stay off the drink eat healthy follow a strict training plan and weights programme, listen to the coach /manager on tactics ... you need to pay (at a snip) 40 grand!!!! I thought I'd a great job! If you'd three teams to look after that £120 grand a year job