Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 10, 2017, 11:51:56 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on September 10, 2017, 09:47:26 PM
More can be done MR2. Primary schools in the country might have anywhere between 5-15 P7 boys. You can guarantee most of those will play GAA. Go into the city schools (and there are many) and some P7 groups might have anywhere from 50-80 boys but only 1/4 of that will play GAA if you're lucky. How many Antrim coaches are going into those schools? How many clubs are sending coaches into those schools?

Because these kids are playing other sports, the soccer has a massive interest in Belfast, more than my day and parents are keen to see their wee Johnny playing in the Premiership or for Celtic! Would never had two local soccer teams of any notice when I grew up, plenty now, all playing regular games every week, never called off and good cup competitions... that's not just happening in Belfast, it's all over, blame Sky! We've plenty at the  club but keeping them and developing them  is the hardest task! But please lads don't think the GAA has stopped in Belfast or Antrim it's just going through a phase..

And being well looked after whilst playing for these clubs!

JimStynes

More can be done MR2. Primary schools in the country might have anywhere between 5-15 P7 boys. You can guarantee most of those will play GAA. Go into the city schools (and there are many) and some P7 groups might have anywhere from 50-80 boys but only 1/4 of that will play GAA if you're lucky. How many Antrim coaches are going into those schools? How many clubs are sending coaches into those schools?

Because these kids are playing other sports, the soccer has a massive interest in Belfast, more than my day and parents are keen to see their wee Johnny playing in the Premiership or for Celtic! Would never had two local soccer teams of any notice when I grew up, plenty now, all playing regular games every week, never called off and good cup competitions... that's not just happening in Belfast, it's all over, blame Sky! We've plenty at the  club but keeping them and developing them  is the hardest task! But please lads don't think the GAA has stopped in Belfast or Antrim it's just going through a phase..

We have soccer in Lurgan as well and most of our boys would all play for Lurgan Celtic and Lurgan Town underage teams as well. We have young lads who go to boxing, cycling, swimming etc in Lurgan. It is not as if it's Gaelic Football and that's it. Children have the option to play so many sports these days.  I know it's not the same as being a city club. But my point still stands that there is a lot more that can be done. Coaches from clubs, County, Ulster Council etc all need to be sent into the schools as much as possible.

PMG1

I am involved with running the Paul McGirr Ulster U16 tournament, does anyone know who won the Antrim U16 football championship this year or if it is over yet?

paddyjohn

Quote from: PMG1 on September 11, 2017, 08:27:19 PM
I am involved with running the Paul McGirr Ulster U16 tournament, does anyone know who won the Antrim U16 football championship this year or if it is over yet?

Not over yet as far as I know. South West final this week and not sure if the South Antrim one is played yet.

City Dweller

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 11, 2017, 08:36:37 PM
Quote from: PMG1 on September 11, 2017, 08:27:19 PM

Not over yet as far as I know. South West final this week and not sure if the South Antrim one is played yet.

SA semi final on this Thursday, Final on 1st Oct

http://www.southantrimgaa.com/fixtures/?yr=2017&compid=157

Not sure when All County Final is, was 2nd of Oct last year, could be 8th Oct perhaps?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on September 11, 2017, 08:17:03 PM

We have soccer in Lurgan as well and most of our boys would all play for Lurgan Celtic and Lurgan Town underage teams as well. We have young lads who go to boxing, cycling, swimming etc in Lurgan. It is not as if it's Gaelic Football and that's it. Children have the option to play so many sports these days.  I know it's not the same as being a city club. But my point still stands that there is a lot more that can be done. Coaches from clubs, County, Ulster Council etc all need to be sent into the schools as much as possible.

I know what you're saying but there really is no major problems in Belfast clubs just a bad couple of years, my own club has under 8's through to senior st both codes and ladies football at all levels senior and Junior teams, scor and Handball teams.. it's thriving just not winning, winning is a great goal but encouraging GAA on all its formats is the winner, I know our club will get their again, as do Rossa the Johnnies Sarsfields and the rest...

Schools need the help, I'm sure the plans are there and you've already alluded to the work that one coach was doing... how do you encourage a lad to the GAA when leagues aren't finished played or no regular set up? Soccer is run really well.. any ideas to run these games during the winter.. pitches seem to be ok for soccer and rugby!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Galer

Mr2 r u serious.antrim football is in bad nick ans belfast is in real bother.teams cant even fufil fixtures.why did st endas join the south west leagues (u can have them back) if belfast r so strong.how many minor/u21 champ games have we won never mind senior.schools in a bad way,the whole county undercoached and pd going would help

Galer

Why is pd pulling the pin and is there a replacement?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Galer on September 11, 2017, 09:50:36 PM
Mr2 r u serious.antrim football is in bad nick ans belfast is in real bother.teams cant even fufil fixtures.why did st endas join the south west leagues (u can have them back) if belfast r so strong.how many minor/u21 champ games have we won never mind senior.schools in a bad way,the whole county undercoached and pd going would help

Hate text speak!

Wasn't talking about Antrim football, club football and clubs in general in Belfast.. I went to ref a under 21 hurling match (north Antrim) and the team never turned up for the championship match, crazy that, but hey I must have missed your post on that. 

But hey it's purely a south Antrim thing... as for under 18 and 21 grades we won 5 in a row and there was no one on from the South West complaining about how bad the South West was.. Antrim were still struggling but there seems to be that if Belfast isn't doing well then it effects the Antrim team?? Strange
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Think you are in denial MR2....under-age is at an all time low in S Antrim......have a look at the lack of strength at minor level.....teams from top clubs are poor in the extreme with Rossa and Brigids notable exceptions.

JimStynes

St Galls had an exceptional team. It wasn't that South West was struggling at that time.  Loads more can be done throughout the whole county, but especially in areas like Belfast.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 11, 2017, 10:17:21 PM
Think you are in denial MR2....under-age is at an all time low in S Antrim......have a look at the lack of strength at minor level.....teams from top clubs are poor in the extreme with Rossa and Brigids notable exceptions.

Denial?? At what point did I say Belfast teams haven't performed on the last two years?? 2 years is now automatically Belfast is in the doldrums ?? Ffs lad wise up

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on September 11, 2017, 10:20:47 PM
St Galls had an exceptional team. It wasn't that South West was struggling at that time.  Loads more can be done throughout the whole county, but especially in areas like Belfast.

Well they were struggling, they couldn't win a championship between minor under 21 and senior for five years! Not one poster was saying SW in trouble! Before that St. Paul's were winning and the johnnies. I'm lost on how after two seasons how Belfast is in decline??

Milltown Row2

Too busy winning the league

Stillwater2

Not often i say this, agree with MR2. Who has won the last 3 All County Feile's in Football?