Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaffronHeart

Are st malachys division 4 this year fullforward?

FullForward72

I am not entirely sure SaffronHeart, speculation is that Ballycastle & Mitchels are withdrawing from ACFL, Naomh Una and Con Magees will not be fielding 2nd team next season, which leaves just Lisburn and Pearses. Leaves alot to the imagination, but as i say its just pure speculation, havn't a clue what will happen

themac_23

Quote from: FullForward72 on December 29, 2014, 08:31:29 PM
I am not entirely sure SaffronHeart, speculation is that Ballycastle & Mitchels are withdrawing from ACFL, Naomh Una and Con Magees will not be fielding 2nd team next season, which leaves just Lisburn and Pearses. Leaves alot to the imagination, but as i say its just pure speculation, havn't a clue what will happen

Ballycastle are a club I wish had a better football team, that catchment area could have a good div 3 team easily, have some good footballers as it is, if they could get passed the hurling/football tug of war, really unfortunate.

On the rest of the post, if that's true div 4 isn't really viable, a larger div 3 would be the way to go

FullForward72

I agree mac any time we have played the ballycastle lads up there they have always given a good account of themselves. As regards to the divisions i would prefer to see a larger div2 and div3. Does nobody any good yoyoing up and down leagues all the time. But again as I have already said its a complete guessing game as to what will happen! It seems a sensible course of action all the same

country bumpkin

Sensiblle action by the little guy who would be chairman............dream on :)

themac_23

Quote from: FullForward72 on December 31, 2014, 08:44:01 PM
I agree mac any time we have played the ballycastle lads up there they have always given a good account of themselves. As regards to the divisions i would prefer to see a larger div2 and div3. Does nobody any good yoyoing up and down leagues all the time. But again as I have already said its a complete guessing game as to what will happen! It seems a sensible course of action all the same

if they did make a bigger div 2/3 it would also save the mess regarding Aghagallon going down. No relegation from div 2 and all remaining teams make up div 3, not rocket science but then again it is Antrim...

CitySlicker11

Good one point win to start 2015 off. Was anyone at the game for a brief breakdown of the game?

country bumpkin

Yep, was one of the frozen observers at Creggan CS......poor game......against moderate opposition.......CJ as captain is a smart move I think......he had a good game as did Laverty who was my man of the match......Of the new boys on view Burke looked good as did Mc Aleer......long road ahead but FF is looking around.

Dreen

Poor game, played a lot of sideways football with absolutely no ball into ff line in first half. Changed in 2nd half when Magill came on but when he was hit there's was nobody taking it off him and he ended up out near the 45. Personally I wouldn't have much optimism for the year but I'm in pessimistic mood these days. CJ with some compete scrapbook moments which took the pain of the £8 admission fee abit. Laverty, Burke,McAleer and Carron in patches for me, new goalkeeper top is a thing of beauty as well.

aontroim abu

brendanbelfast

It was an OK game overall, both teams had lots of men pulled back so there was a lot of rugby league stuff on display. We didn't break them down enough, or break enough tackle, though Laverty was good at that - like Loughrey lite - he can definitely come good this year. Took his goal very well. The goal was built on patience and passing, after a string of sideways and backwards passes CJ hit a beauty into Conor Murray and that opened them up. CJ was v influential in a deeper role, pulling strings looking for openings and encouraging those around him.

Walls was strong in goals, kick outs had distance if not much variety. Tony Scullion added a bit of stability when he came on for second half and Magill remains a solid option up front, the ball still sticks!

The match was worth going to - but oh man, is it ever warm at Creggan????

themac_23

Quote from: brendanbelfast on January 05, 2015, 11:54:53 AM
It was an OK game overall, both teams had lots of men pulled back so there was a lot of rugby league stuff on display. We didn't break them down enough, or break enough tackle, though Laverty was good at that - like Loughrey lite - he can definitely come good this year. Took his goal very well. The goal was built on patience and passing, after a string of sideways and backwards passes CJ hit a beauty into Conor Murray and that opened them up. CJ was v influential in a deeper role, pulling strings looking for openings and encouraging those around him.

Walls was strong in goals, kick outs had distance if not much variety. Tony Scullion added a bit of stability when he came on for second half and Magill remains a solid option up front, the ball still sticks!

The match was worth going to - but oh man, is it ever warm at Creggan????

Seen Walls was in nets, thought it might have been a misprint does he not play around MF for LD? I thought Finnucene was LD keeper?

SaffronHeart

CJ ran the show but Antrim were very lateral. Need runners in the Loughrey mould coming from deep which laverty did to his credit. If Russ could get Sean Kelly back he would be some addition especially if Antrim persist with this gameplan. Thought Burke was excellent and Magill eased himself into it...still a class act. Conor o'Rawe at corner back was out in front of his man every time the ball was kicked in, he is lightning quick.

Dreen

fair point on kelly, if they going to play st galls football they will need more of their players.  Magill needs 2 or 3 options running off him from the hf line imo, players within a few yards everytime he wins the ball, yesterday he won the ball at the 20 and ended up out the 45 with it again.  Russ must have thought at ht they were under p when he took two new men to replace them with two older hands, Magill made a difference as the they hit the ball in which they didnt do in the first half and to be fair to Paddy McAleer i dont think Tony did anything more than he did.

imtommygunn

How was Benny hasson as a target man? Did it not work in the first half?