Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

optimus cheese

Joe McVeigh or Roy McLarnon for me. Joe especially has experience of making some good signings. Other than that, could always ask Lenny Harbinson if we are desperate.

paddymcg115

Bannside - maybe you could take your words back about Liam Bradley riding two horses at the one time.
In any interview i seen he said he was meeting wth his backroom team and the county chairman and then was going to make a decision. Thats exactly what he did. Your assumptions of him using Antrim as something to fall back on if he didnt get the Derry job were very far of the mark
You'll maybe go for the job again yourself.

bannside

PMG - Of course he was trying to ride two horses. He had clearly and publicly got his hat in both rings at the same time. This is not anything anti Baker. He did a decent job in Antrim and will be well thought of. Maybe another year might have taken the gloss off that.

I never said that he should go. I made it clear that if he came straight out and made a public declaration that he thought he could take make further progress with Antrim and had the hunger for it - then I would have no problem with that. He is a good man around a team and will do well with whatever team he gets next.

No, I`m not interested in the job this time round. Happy enough to keep developing our future players in the club.

Gold

Gutted Baker has gone. Will be near impossible to replace. Loved his passion, belief and how he didnt pander to so called star players who tried to take the piss. Noone was undroppable. Perfect as for years Antrim had been held to ransom by moaning players who were accomodated wrongly in the hope they'd do it on a big day.

Hope the new manager doesnt take us backwards. Hard act to follow

He may not have won tropheys but he us 2 promotions, some great championship wins and days and most importantly he gave us respect which is something we did not have for many years
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

It's sad to see Baker go alright as he has done a lot of good for antrim football but as per my previous comments I'd be hopeful we get someone with more positive football who can bring us on a bit and get us going at teams a bit more.

Competing with Kerry, an ulster final and galway wins were big highlights. Division 2 a massive step forward for antrim football too. Definitely has to be commended for this.

I felt that he only ever had a plan A though. I'd like to see us with someone who has a plan B and C. I think there are players there to have us competing at a better level than we are.

James Gatz

We need to be really ambitious with our next appointment and go after some of the best young talents in management at the minute. I think we should go for Tony McEntee, Tohill or Aidan O'Rourke.
Tony McEntee has the Cross job atm obviously and would be difficult to get, but at the same time he has stated he wants intercounty experience before taking the Armagh job and has proven himself as a fantastic manager by taking what many considered a transitional Cross team to back to back All Irelands.
Tohill did a brilliant job with the International Rules team second time round and received rave reviews for the professionalism he brought to the set up. I'm sure has the knowledge, leadership and charisma to bring us on.
O'Rourke has been involved in numerous inter county set ups and seems to really rate Antrim players (has said he can't believe Antrim don't do better considering the talent we had at university level a few years ago).
Any one of those three would be a really exciting move and all of them would be capable of taking us to the next level I feel.

Rasharkin Gael

I was in Crocker on Sunday for the semi final. When I watched Donegal demolish cork I remembered just afew seasons ago Antrim beating them in ballybofey. Look at the progress they have made in that time. With the right leadership I think Antrim could make big progress too but I'm struggling to think of someone within our county who could achieve this.

Sportacus

I'm not gutted, far from it.  Antrim have to go for an ulster title - that's the BIG breakthrough that would kick this county onwards.  There's enough players in the county to seriously try and achieve this.  While Baker did a good job, I really don't think he could have got us over the line so with all due respect, I'm happy to see the opportunity for a change.  The players will probably enjoy a new voice and ideas as well - but it will need an inspired choice to get the right manager to bring us to the next level.

glens abu

What do we need? A young modern thinking manager in the McGuinness mould who knows the modern game,would have respect of the players,yet strong enough to instill discipline,work ethic,and pride in their County. 

stibhan

To be honest I had heard a while back that the county board were seeking nominations so this isn't much of a surprise. I honestly think Baker has been underrated by many and that this will do some serious damage to us. I can't really see where the talent is coming on a managerial or playing level - the only way Antrim are going to be able to beat teams with the personnel is to play a negative system a lá that implemented against Galway. Ward's contract is for a few years like Mike McGurns, isn't it? If so, would suggest favour for braun over creative guile, and thus, a negative defensive approach.

The names of managers listed above are interesting but I can't see O'Rourke, Tohill or McEntee going for us at the minute. Will there be a headhunt like last time, with some hurling club stumping up a last minute nomination for an outside decent Ulster Club manager? In saying that, I have a feeling that if Lenny Harbinson comes in as manager or selector we may see a few new and old faces through the door. Wouldn't mind seeing Karl Stewart amongst others back in Saffron. Let's just hope Jerry Wallace doesn't throw his hat in.

imtommygunn

Great result for ahoghill against st brigids. Only realised the replay had taken place.

stibhan

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 27, 2012, 11:12:25 PM
Great result for ahoghill against st brigids. Only realised the replay had taken place.

Unfortunately, so did some of us.

Gold

Quote from: stibhan on August 27, 2012, 10:45:12 PM
To be honest I had heard a while back that the county board were seeking nominations so this isn't much of a surprise. I honestly think Baker has been underrated by many and that this will do some serious damage to us. I can't really see where the talent is coming on a managerial or playing level - the only way Antrim are going to be able to beat teams with the personnel is to play a negative system a lá that implemented against Galway. Ward's contract is for a few years like Mike McGurns, isn't it? If so, would suggest favour for braun over creative guile, and thus, a negative defensive approach.

The names of managers listed above are interesting but I can't see O'Rourke, Tohill or McEntee going for us at the minute. Will there be a headhunt like last time, with some hurling club stumping up a last minute nomination for an outside decent Ulster Club manager? In saying that, I have a feeling that if Lenny Harbinson comes in as manager or selector we may see a few new and old faces through the door. Wouldn't mind seeing Karl Stewart amongst others back in Saffron. Let's just hope Jerry Wallace doesn't throw his hat in.

Think an outside manager is the way to go again. Wouldnt fancy Lenny, the pandering would only start again, piss off many on the panel and undo the awesome and i agree, under-rated, work done by the Baker.

Agree re Karl Stewart though. Wasted, natural scoring talent who has given his best years to the hurlers. Would like to see him give football a year

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

Has to be an outsider.

I wouldn't agree we need to play negative. We have half decent forwards there.

Rasharkin Gael

Don't much care for rumours but there is one doing the rounds that Baker and Paul McFlynn have been offered the Derry job over the weekend and that's why he stood down on Monday.