Sam Maguire 2024 Group 1 - Galway, Armagh, Derry, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 13, 2024, 01:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

There are always players coming and going on panels, some players want games and know they are not near it with the county. Even players getting minutes every match can get fed up with so much sacrifice and no game time.

JGDoire

Thought Derry played ok considering the injuries. Badly let down by McKinless. Despite that could have levelled things up  with a goal late on and could have won it if the shooting boots were on ! Long way to go yet !!!!

Armagh18

Quote from: Applesisapples on Today at 08:41:02 AMThere are always players coming and going on panels, some players want games and know they are not near it with the county. Even players getting minutes every match can get fed up with so much sacrifice and no game time.
One thing I will say about the Armagh lads is theres a panel of maybe 43 plus and everyone buys in regardless of gametime. Obviously theres a good few lads down the pecking order that get to play club games as well

Blowitupref

Quote from: Walter Cronc on Today at 07:50:32 AMSome nonsense being talked by the usual suspects. I'm with Keyser on this one. We battled well considering the circumstances. We'll be fine come preliminary quarters onwards.

I'm sure before this championship started the objective for Derry was to match or better their last two championship campaigns which was All Ireland semi final. If it's a Preliminary quarter final and Derry win that it will be three games in three weeks and up against a rested table topper (probably Kerry,Dublin or Donegal)
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Estimator

Derry were much better than I thought they'd be. Especially after seeing who was and wasn't involved in the team warm up before the game.

Everything was pretty even up to the (deserved) red card. Derry still got plenty of shots away, but way too many were a platform for Galway attacks. 

They put in some shift covering back and forward in that second half. McGuigans block exemplified that. But it was always going to lead to gaps.

That said they still managed to claw it back and had McGuigans shot found the net or went over the bar, you're looking at a very different final few minutes. Galway may still have ran out winners, but at that point, they were definitely gettin nervy in the stand.

Armagh at home next, you'd have to hope that Derry have a couple of those injured men back and ready to go for that game.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Armagh18

Quote from: Estimator on Today at 11:37:50 AMDerry were much better than I thought they'd be. Especially after seeing who was and wasn't involved in the team warm up before the game.

Everything was pretty even up to the (deserved) red card. Derry still got plenty of shots away, but way too many were a platform for Galway attacks. 

They put in some shift covering back and forward in that second half. McGuigans block exemplified that. But it was always going to lead to gaps.

That said they still managed to claw it back and had McGuigans shot found the net or went over the bar, you're looking at a very different final few minutes. Galway may still have ran out winners, but at that point, they were definitely gettin nervy in the stand.

Armagh at home next, you'd have to hope that Derry have a couple of those injured men back and ready to go for that game.

Two week gap is probably saving them there.

Truthsayer

Derry about to get what Tyrone had for years... ok until meet any sort of a half well coached decent team. Rory's work being unravelled as we speak... hype of league win hasn't helped. Reality time!

JoG2

MC

Quote from: galwayman on May 18, 2024, 07:54:19 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 18, 2024, 07:41:04 PMVery poor from Derry, sending off aside. So flat.
First half us where the game was lost, too many dropped short.

Too many of derrys star players were nowhere to be seen, glass didn't seem interested.

We were chasing the game, lachlan Murray just scored 3 I think, made a score saving tackle and Harte takes him off. Can't see the logic in that.

Galway were good. Should rightly leapfrog derry in the AI rankings and must be in that top 3 tier now.

Didn't listen to the commentary after the game but there can be no defending mckinless.
However,  I did think in general galway got their frees easier than us.
I'm trying to take my Galway hat off here (not easy of course) but I honestly didn't feel that we were getting frees easier.
In terms of scores from frees I'm not sure how many we ended up with but when we had 1-12 on the board only two of those were frees.
I can think of two off the top of my head tap over frees Derry got that were never frees (to me anyway).
McGuigan wins a high ball in first half & doesn't call a mark. He gets shepherded and throws himself down and gets a free.
One in second half (I think number 10) who runs into 2-3 Galway defenders and gets a very soft free.
Anyhow I'm only picking them as examples. The red card changed the game.
Who knows what would have happened if it didn't happen. It was going to be tight regardless

My understanding was that if a player doesn't call the mark for the free kick he plays on but cannot be tackled until he has taken 4 steps - Mc Guigan was tackled immediately he caught the ball.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Blowitupref on Today at 11:19:58 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on Today at 07:50:32 AMSome nonsense being talked by the usual suspects. I'm with Keyser on this one. We battled well considering the circumstances. We'll be fine come preliminary quarters onwards.

I'm sure before this championship started the objective for Derry was to match or better their last two championship campaigns which was All Ireland semi final. If it's a Preliminary quarter final and Derry win that it will be three games in three weeks and up against a rested table topper (probably Kerry,Dublin or Donegal)

You can flip that too. Kerry will play Louth and Meath. After yesterday's debacle not exactly tested pre 1/4's. They are a side I wouldn't fear whatsoever!

Blowitupref

Quote from: Walter Cronc on Today at 12:57:41 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on Today at 11:19:58 AM

You can flip that too. Kerry will play Louth and Meath. After yesterday's debacle not exactly tested pre 1/4's. They are a side I wouldn't fear whatsoever!

Scheduling advantage can't be underestimated. Last year I believe Tyrone would have given a much better amount of themselves against Kerry in the last 8 tie with at least two weeks to prepare.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose