Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 06, 2020, 06:41:06 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 06, 2020, 06:35:45 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on June 06, 2020, 06:27:18 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 06, 2020, 06:19:24 PM
Great posts. Great in fact!

I've sat back and watched it on here for a while too be fair....but it really started to bug me....

It's about taking a bit of responsibility FFS....instead of coming on here talking absolute manure...

My kids....my responsibility....end off

We actually find it hard keeping up with the tasks sent out by the teachers on a Sunday evening.....but I tell you what....heaven and earth...by the following Friday we have all the work done and uploaded....

You think in 10 years time I'll look back and blame the CV19 or teachers for the development of my kids? Will I fcuk....that's my job and I'll make sure one way or another they are not behind....

Aren't you the f**king hero? What about parents who can't, either because they're working or because they don't have the academic ability? Single parents? maybe working in a low paid full time job? Your bullshit idyllic scenario is frankly nauseating.

So teachers should bend over backwards and ignore all medical advice so that you in your very specific circumstances are accommodated?
In normal times this doesn't happen, why should it now? The fact is it's difficult for everyone no matter their circumstances. A teacher's job is like any job, they do what they are contracted to do and often much more.

You're not special. Stop acting like it should revolve around you.

What medical advice? The advice that shows that this is a disease that affects 70 year old nursing home residents? In NI there has been roughly 570 odd deaths I think and well over 50% of them are in care homes. I do need to check but I am fairly sure none of the teachers in my local school live in a care home.
Please and I genuinely mean this, can you explain what risk there is to children and teachers?

tbrick18

Quote from: trailer on June 06, 2020, 06:37:43 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 06, 2020, 06:31:50 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 06, 2020, 05:37:24 PM
LOL. Well teachers should stay away from Gym classes, and shops and coffee takeaway places. All the gaffs that I have met teachers over this past few weeks. It's laughable, it really is.
A child's education is paramount. It is the very definition of key work.

The lives of children,teachers,childminders and extended families are more important than pleasing you.
Dry your eyes and just accept that most people put the health and wellbeing of all people above the urgency some people have to get their children educated.
The children will still get educated, there is only a pause for some really well known reasons.

But my wife's isn't? She must go to work, everyday, regardless? We're all in this together, remember?

What?
I don't know what you or your wife do or what your circumstances are.
But it's not up to anyone else to decide where you put your priorities, that's up to you. Pointing the finger of blame at teachers because it's difficult? Wise up.
In my experience most people do the best they can for their kids, I'm sure you try to too, but for me no matter what my kids come first. If I can't get childcare, I stay at home.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 06, 2020, 06:48:26 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 06, 2020, 06:37:43 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 06, 2020, 06:31:50 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 06, 2020, 05:37:24 PM
LOL. Well teachers should stay away from Gym classes, and shops and coffee takeaway places. All the gaffs that I have met teachers over this past few weeks. It's laughable, it really is.
A child's education is paramount. It is the very definition of key work.

The lives of children,teachers,childminders and extended families are more important than pleasing you.
Dry your eyes and just accept that most people put the health and wellbeing of all people above the urgency some people have to get their children educated.
The children will still get educated, there is only a pause for some really well known reasons.

But my wife's isn't? She must go to work, everyday, regardless? We're all in this together, remember?

What?
I don't know what you or your wife do or what your circumstances are.
But it's not up to anyone else to decide where you put your priorities, that's up to you. Pointing the finger of blame at teachers because it's difficult? Wise up.
In my experience most people do the best they can for their kids, I'm sure you try to too, but for me no matter what my kids come first. If I can't get childcare, I stay at home.

Please.....stop....talking this sense...

tbrick18

Quote from: trailer on June 06, 2020, 06:45:30 PM

I've sat back and watched it on here for a while too be fair....but it really started to bug me....

It's about taking a bit of responsibility FFS....instead of coming on here talking absolute manure...

We actually find it hard keeping up with the tasks sent out by the teachers on a Sunday evening.....but I tell you what....heaven and earth...by the following Friday we have all the work done and uploaded....

You think in 10 years time I'll look back and blame the CV19 or teachers for the development of my kids? Will I fcuk....that's my job and I'll make sure one way or another they are not behind....

Aren't you the f**king hero? What about parents who can't, either because they're working or because they don't have the academic ability? Single parents? maybe working in a low paid full time job? Your bullshit idyllic scenario is frankly nauseating.

So teachers should bend over backwards and ignore all medical advice so that you in your very specific circumstances are accommodated?
In normal times this doesn't happen, why should it now? The fact is it's difficult for everyone no matter their circumstances. A teacher's job is like any job, they do what they are contracted to do and often much more.

What medical advice? The advice that shows that this is a disease that affects 70 year old nursing home residents? In NI there has been roughly 570 odd deaths I think and well over 50% of them are in care homes. I do need to check but I am fairly sure none of the teachers in my local school live in a care home.
Please and I genuinely mean this, can you explain what risk there is to children and teachers?

The medical advice that says we must social distance, wash our hands, not meet in large groups etc etc etc. It's well published advice, look it up.
If you look at excess deaths here, it's almost 1k deaths here.
The risk is not entirely to the kids and teachers, there's all the school staff from cleaners to kitchen staff, bus drivers and then all of their extended families. Getting the picture yet?
Take a primary school with 200, that's probably 140 different families. Which exposes probably 1k to extra risk. Then with staff, maybe another 100 people.
Then consider pickups and drop offs and how to keep kids apart.
Can you really not see it adds risk to more than just the children? And what if one children dies of covid? Was it still worth the risk? If it was your child would it still have been worth it? Or your child's friend?
If you don't understand that,vthen there is no point debating with you because you have a point of view which is not based on science but instead on your slant on the science which would be best for your circumstances.

trailer

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 06, 2020, 07:00:46 PM

The medical advice that says we must social distance, wash our hands, not meet in large groups etc etc etc. It's well published advice, look it up.
The risk is not entirely to the kids and teachers, there's all the school staff from cleaners to kitchen staff, bus drivers and then all of their extended families. Getting the picture yet?
Take a primary school with 200, that's probably 140 different families. Which exposes probably 1k to extra risk. Then with staff, maybe another 100 people.
Can you really not see it adds risk to more than just the children? And what if one children dies of covid? Was it still worth the risk? If it was your child would it still have been worth it? Or your child's friend?
If you don't understand that,vthen there is no point debating with you because you have a point of view which is not based on science but instead on your slant on the science which would be best for your circumstances.

Last week I saw 3 teachers at a birthday party. Social distancing = 0.
Our school has literally just taken the time off. I am not exaggerating, They've done nothing except 1 pack sent home.
Forgive me if I think that the teaching community is taking advantage.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: trailer on June 06, 2020, 07:25:39 PM

Our school has literally just taken the time off. I am not exaggerating, They've done nothing except 1 pack sent home.

This is disgraceful and you need to contact the Principal...

When this calms down you need to consider taking your kid out of that School...

quit yo jibbajabba

Colourin in pencils AND a book and still all some people do is complain

ONeill

One pack for a two-year-old is scandalous. My nephew is 3 and he has 4 packs a week.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tbrick18

Teachers are allowed a social life as much as anyone else, but yes they should have been social distancing.
I wouldn't be happy sending my kids into a class withe a teacher who doesn't follow guidelines which is another issue entirely.

If that is all your school has provided, that is not acceptable. 100% agree with you and I'd raise that with the principal and board of governors asap. Children are being failed there.
But that is not universally the case. I've got kids in primary and secondary and it certainly isn't my experience. My wife is a primary teacher and it's not what they do either. Generally the primarys are issuing work pack 4 weeks at a time and are engaging on class dojo. Commenting on work and marking and answering queries.
I have noticed older teachers are not as active online, but we have to remember most have no training on delivering teaching this way.
Secondary school uses Google classroom and kids are set work weekly with deadlines. Most teachers are very responsive to questions from kids and most mark work and provide feedback. Some teachers do more than others.
It's not perfectand not as good as the classroom but it's good given the circumstances.

Seriously I'd contact the school and make a formal complaint as it must be incredibly frustrating. But all schools and teachers shouldn't be tarred with the same brush.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: hardstation on June 06, 2020, 07:54:26 PM
Whoa, whoa! It might have been a fcukin smashing pack.

Likely just colouring in I'd say....by numbers....the heartless bastards...

JimStynes

What work would you like for a 2 year old? Do 2 year olds even have work to do at home? Is it the work or babysitting that's annoying you? What do you do during Christmas holidays and summer holidays for child care? Expecting primary school and secondary school teachers to look after a 2 year old is ridiculous.

trailer

I've two children. One of them is two. The other is in P4.  I'm actually worried that some of you are teachers. How did you qualify? Did you collect tokens in the paper?

delgany

I appreciate that your parish school had failed your P4 child , but you should be speaking/emailing to the chair of the governors and make a complaint. Some of the things , you are reporting are a poor reflection on that particular school,but you shouldnt tar everyone with the same brush.
Most teachers are working hard to ensure the children in their care are safe and receiving work. If you PM me( i think you can do that on this platform ) , I ll do my best to get your child  a home learning pack or two , posted to you on Monday and  I ll send you some online learning links .

trailer

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 06, 2020, 08:06:47 PM

Teachers are allowed a social life as much as anyone else, but yes they should have been social distancing.
I wouldn't be happy sending my kids into a class withe a teacher who doesn't follow guidelines which is another issue entirely.

If that is all your school has provided, that is not acceptable. 100% agree with you and I'd raise that with the principal and board of governors asap. Children are being failed there.
But that is not universally the case. I've got kids in primary and secondary and it certainly isn't my experience. My wife is a primary teacher and it's not what they do either. Generally the primarys are issuing work pack 4 weeks at a time and are engaging on class dojo. Commenting on work and marking and answering queries.
I have noticed older teachers are not as active online, but we have to remember most have no training on delivering teaching this way.
Secondary school uses Google classroom and kids are set work weekly with deadlines. Most teachers are very responsive to questions from kids and most mark work and provide feedback. Some teachers do more than others.
It's not perfectand not as good as the classroom but it's good given the circumstances.

Seriously I'd contact the school and make a formal complaint as it must be incredibly frustrating. But all schools and teachers shouldn't be tarred with the same brush.

I've raised it with principal last week and I'm awaiting a response.
I've also taken "personal responsibility" and employed a tutor. However I feel for those who cannot afford such an intervention.

trailer

Quote from: delgany on June 06, 2020, 09:22:54 PM

I appreciate that your parish school had failed your P4 child , but you should be speaking/emailing to the chair of the governors and make a complaint. Some of the things , you are reporting are a poor reflection on that particular school,but you shouldntvtar everyone with the same brush.
Most teachers are working hard to ensure the children in their care are safe and receiving work. If you PM me( i think you can do that on this platform ) , I ll do my best to get your child  a home learning pack or two , posted to you on Monday and  I ll send you some online learning links .
[/quote

I really appreciate this post. I'll pm you tomorrow. Thanks.