GAA presidential election 2020

Started by Eamonnca1, February 26, 2020, 02:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

No doubting Jarlath has the credentials and experience necessary, and I hope he gets it, but I read an interview with him in the paper on Saturday (also in the Irish News, the day after the Andy Watters column referenced in the above post) and one thing surprised and worries me about it: his focus seems to be entirely on county players and how to protect them. It surprised me because he made barely a reference to club players and he's an undeniably devoted clubman, and secretary of his own home club. Asked early in the interview what his priorities would be, the first thing he did was to take aim at the split season because of the impact it has on county players. The fact that the split season is the best arrangement for club players (about 97% of the GAA's playing population) didn't come into it whatsoever. The rest of the interview mostly followed that same course. All about the welfare of county players. Odd not only given his background, but because candidates running for GAA president usually tend to go into overdrive during their campaigns to portray themselves as 'club first' people.

trailer

Peter Quinn probably the last great President. The vision to redevelop Croke Park and how to finance it. A modern state of the art stadium to play our games in. A fantastic legacy. The next Presidents inbox will have two major issues that need dealt with. The County competition format includng the dead duck Leinster and Munster football championships and discipline. I expect neither to be addressed.

Lotto

Quote from: thewobbler on November 02, 2022, 12:26:49 AM
No northern bias.

Like everything that requires a vote, there's ways and means to secure the deal. My completely unsubstantiated guess is that Jarlath didn't do a whole pile of canvassing last time out - relying instead on his profile, and his largely impeccable credentials - whereas Larry probably phoned or met every last person who might have a vote, promising whatever he could in return.

:)  ;)  :-X

bennydorano

Will the white Martin Luther King make it this time? (Copyright Spitting Politics circa 1985)

Brick Tamlin

Serious charm offensive going on at the minute.
In everythin but the crib.

Surprised he wasnt elbowing Rhianna off the stage the other night at Superbowl.

armaghniac

I have to say that the present incumbent has not impressed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Truth hurts

It would be great for the 6 counties for Jarlath to get the role, he is such a good talker as well and he would be great for outreach work. He is a good GAA man.

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 14, 2023, 02:56:36 PM
It would be great for the 6 counties for Jarlath to get the role, he is such a good talker as well and he would be great for outreach work. He is a good GAA man.
Don't listen to this one.He is the laughing stock over on the Down Board.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: armaghniac on February 14, 2023, 02:14:20 PM
I have to say that the present incumbent has not impressed.
Worse than solid useless, a complete nonentity, and he is ensuring that no overseas candidate will ever be even considered again, let alone voted in.

seafoid

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 14, 2023, 02:56:36 PM
Impressive character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAw0XXDopUA
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

skeog

armaghniac

Quote from: SamFever on February 14, 2023, 03:08:20 PM
Don't listen to this one.He is the laughing stock over on the Down Board.

Being beaten by 11 points in the Ulster final still hurts, does it?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dubh driocht

From my circle, 100% of Down people support Jarlath. He can play a crucial role at a critical time; he won't forget the club players.

Captain Scarlet

I'm not swayed any way. He is a very good speaker BUT I do wonder if he wants to go above the remit of the role.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

trailer

I've met Jarlath and he's an impressive person. I think he'll be very good. I hope he wins and I wish him all the best.