Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: snoopdog on February 13, 2023, 09:50:01 AM
Gaa bailed Down out after burrenbridge. Still paying that off and I think I heard somewhere that is an affect to the funding Down receive.

Possibly, but I thought we were still paying it back to Croke Park.

Smurfy123

Down senior footballers have been shambolic for almost 10 years now. For a 5/6 year period between 06-12 we were knocking about division 1 and competed in a division 1 semi final if I'm correct
Trying to go looking for sponsorships on the back of what has happened in recent years you won't get much
Now thankfully we seem to have got the support back and that will also get sponsors on board
We had 200 people at our last league match last year and 6000 for our first this year.
The feel good factor is back

Truth hurts

We have the East Down and South Down paymasters who are making the management decisions in the county .

We need a sod turned in Ballykinlar ASAP

Truth hurts

By all accounts the Karl Lacey link to Kilcoo won't be happening but he was in talks with them. The round trip is the biggest issue. Its looking like a Choc and Jerome management until Laverty finishes with Down and then he can take the reigns.

ck

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 13, 2023, 11:47:59 AM
By all accounts the Karl Lacey link to Kilcoo won't be happening but he was in talks with them. The round trip is the biggest issue. Its looking like a Choc and Jerome management until Laverty finishes with Down and then he can take the reigns.

Did he not know about the round trip before he spoke to them?  ::)
More likely to do with money

Newry Mitchels

Hi Folks!!

It has been no secret that Newry Mitchels have been struggling in recent years, but we continue to try field a competitive team in Division 4. Every passing year this is becoming more and more challenging without a stream of underage players coming into the senior setup.

We would like to encourage anyone interesting in playing football this year to come along on Wednesday evening at the Abbey Grammar School @7pm. Whether you haven't played before, or have been away from the game for a long time and want to get back involved we would love to see you!!

We would be grateful if you could spread this message to anyone you think might be interested, this is going to be a pivotal year in the survival of the club.

We are also looking for people to help with the off field administration, please PM if you have any questions.

befair

One of my earliest childhood memories is going to the Down final in Newcastle, Mitchels vs Ballykinlar, Sean O'Neill playing for Mitchels and Paddy Doherty for Ballykinlar, Mitchels winning 4-2 to 1-10. I also met Paddy Doherty after the game, and to my child's eyes it was like meeting Santa Claus.
Sad to see the decline in both clubs, so I hope the Mitchels revival is successful. A GAA club is not just about winning trophies, but more about being central to a thriving community.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Newry Mitchels on February 13, 2023, 02:54:32 PM
Hi Folks!!

It has been no secret that Newry Mitchels have been struggling in recent years, but we continue to try field a competitive team in Division 4. Every passing year this is becoming more and more challenging without a stream of underage players coming into the senior setup.

We would like to encourage anyone interesting in playing football this year to come along on Wednesday evening at the Abbey Grammar School @7pm. Whether you haven't played before, or have been away from the game for a long time and want to get back involved we would love to see you!!

We would be grateful if you could spread this message to anyone you think might be interested, this is going to be a pivotal year in the survival of the club.

We are also looking for people to help with the off field administration, please PM if you have any questions.

Good luck and I wish you all the best. If I was in your position I would be contacting Burren to see if players would go on a years sanction. If you sanctioned a few in would increase the standards and would help Burren as they have too many players. It would be a win/win for both clubs.

That is a topic for the podcast this week

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 13, 2023, 04:10:47 PM
Hi Folks!!

Good luck and I wish you all the best. If I was in your position I would be contacting Burren to see if players would go on a years sanction. If you sanctioned a few in would increase the standards and would help Burren as they have too many players. It would be a win/win for both clubs.

You truly are a clown.Do you think this is soccer where a player gets a loan deal for a season?

Truth hurts

Quote from: SamFever on February 13, 2023, 06:19:03 PM
Hi Folks!!

You truly are a clown.Do you think this is soccer where a player gets a loan deal for a season?

If it helps to save a GAA club then I think we would be ok with it. Players get sanctions every year you know. Its not something new to Down GAA

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 14, 2023, 08:40:13 AM
Hi Folks!!

If it helps to save a GAA club then I think we would be ok with it. Players get sanctions every year you know. Its not something new to Down GAA

You learn something every day evidently as I only ever thought a sanction was to allow someone from a football only club to play hurling for another club and vice versa...

thewobbler

I haven't looked at the sanction rule but I'd be fairly certain it wasn't devised to serve as a loan system between clubs in the same code.

By the way, anyone who simultaneously holds the view that Burren shouldn't be allowed a second team in the ACFL, but Burren should be able to "loan" players to another club so they then would have the numbers to compete in the ACFL, is a very confused person.

SamFever

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 14, 2023, 08:40:13 AM
Hi Folks!!

Keep digging there TH. :-[

supersub

Hi Folks!!

Best of luck folks and fair play for continuing to keep the club legacy going. Hopefully you can unearth some new talent and have an enjoyable season.

general

Best of luck to Mitchels - played against them many times.

The club themselves has suffered a number of times with players upping and going to other local teams. Barry Mc to Ballyholland when he lives a stonesthrow from gerry brown park, conor murphy to saval. both still playing and would have been a huge lift. I'm sure there are plenty others who have done same