Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: haranguerer on June 13, 2018, 02:46:36 PM
Quit talking shit

Care to elaborate or point out anything as being untrue?

haranguerer

You have vastly overstated the importance of first minister, both in duties and symbolically.

FM has never really been a concern for anyone at elections (notwithstanding that the DUP did use it a little to scaremonger in the last election) and it certainly has never been mentioned in relation to SF. So that part is total crap. To then attempt to link this up to explain why the UUP (and SDLP) have faded away is ludicrous.

Owen Brannigan

I never mentioned the SDLP but it obviously bothers you.

FM is hugely symbolic for the DUP and unionism and it holding on to the post has been the cornerstone to DUP electioneering for virtually all assembly elections. Equally it is a key target for SF to show that it has dominated the DUP. To say otherwise is nonsense.

If DUP push on getting seating to be the largest party to retain FM post then the UUP must lose out as there is virtually no cross community voting between DUP and the SF and SDLP blocks.  So, the UUP has lost ground to the DUP in every election since the St Andrews agreement.

red hander

The fact the Shinners were able to bring the whole thing down and keep it down shows that FM post is not as important as DUP would like to think. Besides, the way the demographics are going, if Stormont is still not operating by, say, 2020-21 (and I personally hope it's gone for ever), then we've witnessed our last unionist FM. How are they gonna spin that during their 'celebrations' of the centenary of the founding of the failed, putrid statelet?

haranguerer

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 13, 2018, 03:30:40 PM
I never mentioned the SDLP but it obviously bothers you.

FM is hugely symbolic for the DUP and unionism and it holding on to the post has been the cornerstone to DUP electioneering for virtually all assembly elections. Equally it is a key target for SF to show that it has dominated the DUP. To say otherwise is nonsense.

If DUP push on getting seating to be the largest party to retain FM post then the UUP must lose out as there is virtually no cross community voting between DUP and the SF and SDLP blocks.  So, the UUP has lost ground to the DUP in every election since the St Andrews agreement.

You've put the demise of the UUP over the last 10 years down to how the FM is elected. That is just utter rubbish. So is the part about SF or their voters caring about it.

armaghniac

Quote from: haranguerer on June 13, 2018, 03:21:52 PM
You have vastly overstated the importance of first minister, both in duties and symbolically.

FM has never really been a concern for anyone at elections (notwithstanding that the DUP did use it a little to scaremonger in the last election) and it certainly has never been mentioned in relation to SF. So that part is total crap. To then attempt to link this up to explain why the UUP (and SDLP) have faded away is ludicrous.

I think the prospect of a Shinner being FM is important to many unionists and may well have caused a few to move from the UU to DUP. Certainly, the DUP carry on as if the FM has some role in speaking for NI. Describing it as "total crap" is nonsense.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Therealdonald

Quote from: armaghniac on June 13, 2018, 05:26:49 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 13, 2018, 03:21:52 PM

I think the prospect of a Shinner being FM is important to many unionists and may well have caused a few to move from the UU to DUP. Certainly, the DUP carry on as if the FM has some role in speaking for NI. Describing it as "total crap" is nonsense.

To the outside world looking in, FM sounds like the de-facto leader of the 6, but we here know the truth that it's a joint role. It means more to the DUP to hold on to it than it would for SF to gain it. That's a fact.

Denn Forever

What a shite game for her exposure to the  GAA to be.

Just ;looked at the score there, maybe they just need to tighten up on the Donegal number 4.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

imtommygunn

The dup have really changed their pr front. Must have got someone with a bit of sense into that area.

snoopdog

Arlene not so bigoted today. Fair play to her. 

Orior

Unlike good old Jim Alistair who tweeted "Off shortly to annual service in Kells & Connor to honour the sacrifice and work of the UDR in Co Antrim. Much more fitting for a Sunday than pandering to the GAA."
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: Orior on June 24, 2018, 07:21:07 PM
Unlike good old Jim Alistair who tweeted "Off shortly to annual service in Kells & Connor to honour the sacrifice and work of the UDR in Co Antrim. Much more fitting for a Sunday than pandering to the GAA."

What a miserable aul Cnut! In fairness he's getting loads of it back on Twitter. Not once voice of support. Cnut honouring a shower of bastards.

Dougal Maguire

I thought Heather Humphreys should have joined in the singing of the National Anthem
Careful now