?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

lenny

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 11, 2019, 07:03:05 PM
On next weeks senior final  - when is the last time 30 players took the field not having one senior final appearance between them ?

I'd say it's a long time since that's happened. Glen were in an intermediate final 5 or 6 years ago. Not sure if any of the current team were playing that day.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: lenny on October 11, 2019, 08:29:46 PM
On next weeks senior final  - when is the last time 30 players took the field not having one senior final appearance between them ?

I'd say it's a long time since that's happened. Glen were in an intermediate final 5 or 6 years ago. Not sure if any of the current team were playing that day.

Seniors only
I'm guessing 1988 lavey Newbridge
Lavey were in 1980 final so maybe some of those were still about
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 11, 2019, 09:24:13 PM

[/q
Seniors only
I would guess Hugh Martin Mcgurk andEugene Laverty ( i think ) would have been about in 1980  Hoof?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on October 11, 2019, 09:48:34 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 11, 2019, 09:24:13 PM

[/q
Seniors only
I would guess Hugh Martin Mcgurk andEugene Laverty ( i think ) would have been about in 1980  Hoof?

I originally thought 1994 Bellaghy screen but remembered Damien and Danny played in 86

Must be before our time NE

Makes it a novel final
Most of the 30 won't have remembered 93 AI final !! (Cause most won't even born)
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

screenexile

McFaul got a straight red that day iirc I'd say there were a few of the younger lads on board then!

oakleaflad

Quote from: Will it ever end on October 10, 2019, 09:24:58 PM
I've noticed Kevin Johnson's name being heralded on this platform for years - but I don't see the attraction - would he get in a half back line ahead of the 3 that started against Laois this year? Would he start ahead of a fit McEvoy / McCluskey / Doherty ... not for me!
Harsh enough there no? The lad did rightly in Division 1 against the top sides in the country. The others named are all very good players but haven't as much senior county experience. All of them in the panel providing competition can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Will it ever end

Not really - I think you probably summed up your own analysis with "he did rightly" - 6 players ahead of him & probably McGill Lavey & Dougan Glen thrown in there too. 

Ball

Quote from: Will it ever end on October 13, 2019, 01:28:15 PM
Not really - I think you probably summed up your own analysis with "he did rightly" - 6 players ahead of him & probably McGill Lavey & Dougan Glen thrown in there too.

Johnston was one of the first names on the team sheet when we were in Div 1 & 2, not saying hes going to turn the teams fortunes around but he'd start before mcgill, dougan, doherty for me. He was stationed at full back before he left for austraila where he wouldnt be comfortable. I think he'd add to a stronger competition for places if nothing else. Id have danny heavron and loughlin back in aswell.

From U20's McCluskey, P McGrogan.

Will it ever end

I wouldn't have thought he'd have been one of the first names on the team sheet back then  & would have all those mentioned ahead of him at the moment - but Rory Gallagher will be a far better judge than you or I hopefully

restorepride

Quote from: Will it ever end on October 13, 2019, 07:58:36 PM
I wouldn't have thought he'd have been one of the first names on the team sheet back then  & would have all those mentioned ahead of him at the moment - but Rory Gallagher will be a far better judge than you or I hopefully
Well, he was. An intelligent, strong player. 

tbrick18

Quote from: Ball on October 13, 2019, 06:49:29 PM
Quote from: Will it ever end on October 13, 2019, 01:28:15 PM

Johnston was one of the first names on the team sheet when we were in Div 1 & 2, not saying hes going to turn the teams fortunes around but he'd start before mcgill, dougan, doherty for me. He was stationed at full back before he left for austraila where he wouldnt be comfortable. I think he'd add to a stronger competition for places if nothing else. Id have danny heavron and loughlin back in aswell.

From U20's McCluskey, P McGrogan.

I actually thought he was one of our best half backs for a long time, then he got pulled into full back and really struggled.
I'd absolutely have him there.
Agree on heavron and loughlin.
We need to strengthen all over the pitch. We need someone to lead the line in the forwards, we need a more natural full back than Rodgers I think (I'd have him in the half back line with McKaigue in full back).
We are in serious need of a physical forward....someone tall and strong. We have a group of decent forwards but none are physically imposing, rather we have small nippy men. They can be more effective with someone to play off.
I hope Gallagher re-assesses the goalkeeping options.
I'm really not sure if there are any midfielders in the county not already involved, but I'd like a bit more mobility and strength in there.
Interesting times, as if Glen proceed we are going to be without McFaul and Bradley (at least) and they'd be 2 of the first names on the teamsheet for me.
I actually think Magherafelt will really push Glen and could take it. I was impressed by them this year in terms of organisation and fitness, plus they have some talented players. Probably the best I've seen McGuckian playing in a few years too (possibly bring him back onto the Derry panel as well, along with both heavrons).

WattyBoutYe

Quite excited for this weekend! There should be some interesting match ups! McFaul Vs D. Heavron, JD Vs kearnsey and Dougie Vs Emmet mcguckin among many others!
Think it'll be quite a tight game but I think and hope glen's running game will be too strong!

braveheart

Quote from: WattyBoutYe on October 15, 2019, 04:13:28 PM
Quite excited for this weekend! There should be some interesting match ups! McFaul Vs D. Heavron, JD Vs kearnsey and Dougie Vs Emmet mcguckin among many others!
Think it'll be quite a tight game but I think and hope glen's running game will be too strong!
This year has seen a number of surprise results. In This years senior final I predict a similar pattern. Magherafelt to win by 4pts. I've studied the teams,the pitch,the preparation and the Referee and I conclude Rossa will win.

allseasons

I feel the real turning point for Glen was the previous thread getting locked down. The whole thing just seemed to get a fresh start and they haven't looked back since  ;)
Claudy by 5
Glen by 2

You, Yew and Ewe

I think there is a toss of a coin between who wins between Glen and Magherafelt, so I went heads for Glen and tails for Magherafelt.  Heads won 2 out of 3.

Claudy haven't beaten Foreglen in twenty-something years in league or championship.  On paper they should win easily enough on Sunday and get that monkey off their backs.  I wonder if they have the right mentality though - is the thought of beating Foreglen going to play on their minds and hold them back?  Possibly.

I predict a very tight game, Claudy to win by two and Barry Cassidy to have a busy afternoon.