Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on April 30, 2012, 11:25:26 PM
Can you spot yourself Bingo?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r92KJNfuXd0&feature=player_embedded

I'll to be obviously funny and say I'm the guy in the yellow top  :( They actually have a video clip of you crossing the line but they seemed to get the camera postion wrong and mine is the back of some guy standing in front of the camera and a brief passing of my head.

Down to do the Boyne 10km on Sunday but planning a few pints and a night out after the cup final on Saturday, so it'll be a light run out to just complete the thing!

Milltown Row2

Friends of mine are doing an Iron Man contest in Nice this June, they did a half Iron Man at the weekend 75 lengths of 25 metre pool, 50 miles on the bike and 13 mile run!! they did it in under 5h 50 minutes.

Any of our posters completed an Iron Man?

If they did half in that time, christ they won't finish the other one till dark!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

the Deel Rover

Did my 1st 10k in Foxford a couple of weeks ago finished in 44.30 which i was delighted with . Would love to do the 1/2 Marathon in Ballina but looks like i won't be around
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rois

So who is taking part the Belfast marathon tomorrow? I'm doing the Antrim Road leg and hope to have a few supporters out with banners which will be nice. Running it to raise money for the family of a colleague who was killed a year and a half ago. last year I said I couldn't run so just did the walk, but was determined to take part properly this year.

thewobbler

Quote from: ballinaman on May 02, 2012, 08:30:11 AM
5K in Kells next Monday at 11am. Can enter on the day in the Headfort Arms hotel from 9.30am to 10.30am. 20 yoyos. Going to spin across to it.

Are people really paying 20 quid to run 3 miles of public road? I know  there's marshalling, timing etc to sort out, and there's usually a good cause attached - but this is a bit mad.

lurganblue

Any of you guys ever experience numbness in your foot when running? Happens after about 40 mins of running?

Orior

Quote from: lurganblue on May 07, 2012, 11:42:29 AM
Any of you guys ever experience numbness in your foot when running? Happens after about 40 mins of running?

I had a similar problem years ago. At first I thought it was my shoes being too tight, or fallen arches but it turned out to be back problem. The back problem meant my pelvis was tilted and brought an early end to my Elvis impersonation career.

Because of the tilted pelvis, I was using one leg more than the other (how the hell did I ever run in a straight line?) which put more stress on one foot, which caused the numbness.

Check the soles of your running shoes - is one shoe showing slightly more wear than the other?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

lurganblue

I'll get back to you on the state of my shoes later. Was this always the case for you, even when you started out? This was never a problem for me up until recently. So I'm wondering what has changed. Thinking back about a year ago I got a gait analysis done and bought trainers that suited my slightly over pronating foot. I think it may have started a while after that.

Orior

No, it was never a problem at the start. I ran for about 5 years doing half marathons, 10ks, cross country and 60 mile a week in training.

I suspect that the problem was always there but my legs had been able to compensate.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ballinaman

Quote from: thewobbler on May 07, 2012, 11:26:09 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 02, 2012, 08:30:11 AM
5K in Kells next Monday at 11am. Can enter on the day in the Headfort Arms hotel from 9.30am to 10.30am. 20 yoyos. Going to spin across to it.

Are people really paying 20 quid to run 3 miles of public road? I know  there's marshalling, timing etc to sort out, and there's usually a good cause attached - but this is a bit mad.
Yep, about 300 there today. Decent t-shirt, chip timing on a fast course. People like to compete, doing your own runs can get a bit boring.

Spending 20 euro on 4 pints could be seen as equally mad.........I wouldn't think you'd enjoy triathlons, you'd be in for a shock with the expense there anyways!

Rois

Quote from: lurganblue on May 07, 2012, 12:40:58 PM
I'll get back to you on the state of my shoes later. Was this always the case for you, even when you started out? This was never a problem for me up until recently. So I'm wondering what has changed. Thinking back about a year ago I got a gait analysis done and bought trainers that suited my slightly over pronating foot. I think it may have started a while after that.

Flip I had a numb foot after 3 miles the other week for the first time. Going to have to look at trainers now.

On another point, conditions were rotten in Belfast today, but that didn't stop the people of north Belfast (my leg) turning out in force - a credit to everyone in all communities. Families had set up their own water stations and were giving out their own boiled sweets. Really really heart warming, even if we all looked like drowned rats.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on May 07, 2012, 01:45:35 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on May 07, 2012, 12:40:58 PM

Flip I had a numb foot after 3 miles the other week for the first time. Going to have to look at trainers now.

On another point, conditions were rotten in Belfast today, but that didn't stop the people of north Belfast (my leg) turning out in force - a credit to everyone in all communities. Families had set up their own water stations and were giving out their own boiled sweets. Really really heart warming, even if we all looked like drowned rats.

It was a seriously wet day today, me and my daughter went to the 25 mile marker today and parked up and stood out to cheer the runners on the last mile, we normally stand at the toe path at Hazelbank but were in town so thought we head there instead.

Some pain etched on peoples faces at that 25 mile point, fair play to anyone that does it and I may enter next year but we'll see doing 10 K is fine and dandy but the 26 miles is another animal altogether.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Checked the sole of my trainers and they look equally worn orior. Went for a short run there and well loosened the laces. Still felt the numbness coming on. Gonna try a change of trainer next and see if that improves anything.

imtommygunn

Are they stability shoes lurganblue? I have felt this once or twice before on stability shoes when I should have been wearing neutrals so it was basically over cushioning.

If not how old are your trainers? 4-5 hundred miles would be recommended distance.

I know that you get GAIT analysis done in some shops with the trainers etc but not everyone doing this analysis knows what they're doing...