Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 15, 2011, 05:05:21 PM
I would say do about thirty -forty minutes once a week(at a slow pace) to improve the fitness, some interval work and then do either a run or two more to get the fitness up or something else like biking / gym work. Intervals should be several reps of say 400 metres. Do say 4 by 400 and make sure that the pace of the first is the same as the pace of the last (otherwise they're too hard and you're not getting maximum benefit).

It may even make sense to do your intervals at the target pace. Increase the number of reps every week. Your 30/40 minute run should get easier.
Good advice there.
A nice session to do is minute on/minute off, on a trail route say. Stride out for a minute and then jog easy for a minute and repeat for 10 reps and you'll know all about it. 10 minute warm up, 20 minutes working hard and then 10 minutes warm down.

Can be progressed to 2 minutes on/1 off, for 8 reps or the dreaded 3 on, 2 off for 6 reps...killer.

trasna man

Quote from: ballinaman on November 15, 2011, 07:11:55 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 15, 2011, 05:05:21 PM
I would say do about thirty -forty minutes once a week(at a slow pace) to improve the fitness, some interval work and then do either a run or two more to get the fitness up or something else like biking / gym work. Intervals should be several reps of say 400 metres. Do say 4 by 400 and make sure that the pace of the first is the same as the pace of the last (otherwise they're too hard and you're not getting maximum benefit).

It may even make sense to do your intervals at the target pace. Increase the number of reps every week. Your 30/40 minute run should get easier.
Good advice there.
A nice session to do is minute on/minute off, on a trail route say. Stride out for a minute and then jog easy for a minute and repeat for 10 reps and you'll know all about it. 10 minute warm up, 20 minutes working hard and then 10 minutes warm down.

Can be progressed to 2 minutes on/1 off, for 8 reps or the dreaded 3 on, 2 off for 6 reps...killer.
thanks lads will give it a lash and see how i get on

leaveherinsir

Trasna man, as a matter of interest would there be many refs who can run two mile in 15 mins? Seems to be a steep enough test that one?
I was going to make a smart comment about refeering Rasharkin/Carrickmore/Dromore games but ill leave it this time......... ;)

Ballinaman/imtommygunn, i was wondering if you lads would have advice on how to lower my 10k time. I can run 5 miles in just under 34mins at ny best, but i cant get my 10k below 44. If i could keep my five mile pace going i would be hittin around 42.30. Am i too optimistic to expect this in your considered opinion?

ballinaman

Quote from: leaveherinsir on November 16, 2011, 08:40:55 PM
Trasna man, as a matter of interest would there be many refs who can run two mile in 15 mins? Seems to be a steep enough test that one?
I was going to make a smart comment about refeering Rasharkin/Carrickmore/Dromore games but ill leave it this time......... ;)

Ballinaman/imtommygunn, i was wondering if you lads would have advice on how to lower my 10k time. I can run 5 miles in just under 34mins at ny best, but i cant get my 10k below 44. If i could keep my five mile pace going i would be hittin around 42.30. Am i too optimistic to expect this in your considered opinion?

Are you running out for gas in the last 1.2 miles? A minimum of a 10 mile long run at the weekend, along with 2 speed sessions during the week and then 3 easy runs and a day off would be my training for 10Ks.
Sample 10k Training week

Monday - 5 Milles easy

Tuesday - Intervals,i.e 400m reps, minute on/minute off, 3x1 mile race pace reps with 3 min break between,

Wednesday- 6 Miles easy

Thursday- 5 miles easy

Friday - 4 Mile Fartlek (running hard for random lengths of time on a trail or cross country run) 5 Mile tempo run, raising the pace throughout the run so that fastest mile is from 2.5 to 3.5 and then lowering the pace to finish at same pace as you started. Hill work

Saturday- Off

Sunday - 10-12 easy Miles

Obviously that's a broad program, you'd increase/decrease reps and distances as you'd progress.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: ballinaman on November 16, 2011, 09:03:35 PM

Are you running out for gas in the last 1.2 miles? A minimum of a 10 mile long run at the weekend, along with 2 speed sessions during the week and then 3 easy runs and a day off would be my training for 10Ks.
Sample 10k Training week

Monday - 5 Milles easy

Tuesday - Intervals,i.e 400m reps, minute on/minute off, 3x1 mile race pace reps with 3 min break between,

Wednesday- 6 Miles easy

Thursday- 5 miles easy

Friday - 4 Mile Fartlek (running hard for random lengths of time on a trail or cross country run) 5 Mile tempo run, raising the pace throughout the run so that fastest mile is from 2.5 to 3.5 and then lowering the pace to finish at same pace as you started. Hill work

Saturday- Off

Obviously that's a broad program, you'd increase/decrease reps and distances as you'd progress.
Probably more a case of not really knowing my own optimum pace than running out of gas. But i would normally be struggling over last mile, even in a five miler. Judging by your program, i need to start training more, because i wouldnt do that in two weeks never mind one. Cheers for the advice !! Running a 10k this weekend, so ill have a time after that to improve on. Btw, what would suggest as a good easy pace for me at my current level?

imtommygunn

The key leaveherinsir is to do one tempo and one long run a week.

Now on top of that you should do another session of maybe something like 400s and then pad it out with easy running. I would recommend though doing hill drills to build strength first.

Your limiting factor if you're new to running will basically be aerobic fitness / strength so this is the key thing to develop.

Tempo run = 20 -30 minutes at 80-85% heart rate. This in non heart rate terms is "comfortably hard". What this means is that you couldn't converse however you can speak ok as your breathing shouldn't be too inhibited. As you get fitter you will just get faster so it will be as difficult for you each week. Before this you should warm up and afterwards warm down - i.e. this is not your whole session. If you're completely busted at the end of it you're going too hard. It can not be over-emphasised how beneficial tempo runs will be to your 10k time.

Fitness from football / hurling will only get you so far in running. You need to develop your base significantly when going from football / hurling.

imtommygunn

Quote from: leaveherinsir on November 16, 2011, 09:50:35 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 16, 2011, 09:03:35 PM

Sample 10k Training week

Monday - 5 Milles easy

Wednesday- 6 Miles easy

Thursday- 5 miles easy

Saturday- Off

Probably more a case of not really knowing my own optimum pace than running out of gas. But i would normally be struggling over last mile, even in a five miler. Judging by your program, i need to start training more, because i wouldnt do that in two weeks never mind one. Cheers for the advice !! Running a 10k this weekend, so ill have a time after that to improve on. Btw, what would suggest as a good easy pace for me at my current level?

Easy would probably be around 8 minutes 30. Also doing a 10k on saturday. Seeley?

Rois

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 14, 2011, 09:06:38 PM
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/waterworks/results/latestresults

There's a link to last week's results.

Everyone fits in at it - that's the good thing about it.  27.5 and you'd have plenty of runners around you - and behind you.

Put on the runners for the first time since the Dublin half in Sep last night - jeez but I was slow, I don't think I'd even do 27.5 at the minute, not with the speed I ran 5.5k in last night.  Shocking!!  A few more weeks' training required before I try that Sat morn run.

Orior

Dont fall into that trap Rois. Get out there this Saturday and set a benchmark that shows steady improvement.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

It isn't really a race Rois. It's very relaxed. Seriously you should try one - I bet you would enjoy it independent of fitness level. Just set a benchmark and go from there. Sure who's going to mind what time you do?

Orior

If this fecking rain keeps falling then I could be there again on Saturday too  :(

If I am then stay away from me because I will be as cross as a cross thing.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

Wouldn't mind doing a bit of that Orior over the winter - does it keep going this time of the year?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

dec

Quote from: ONeill on November 17, 2011, 08:38:06 PM
Wouldn't mind doing a bit of that Orior over the winter - does it keep going this time of the year?

Looks like ir kept going last winter.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/waterworks/results/eventhistory

imtommygunn

It kept going every week during the big freeze. It's not a race - it's a run. So people are just advised to run carefully.

The parkrun goes right across the UK, even Australia, Denmark South Africa and now the states. Every week rain, hail or snow.

Rois

Quote from: ONeill on November 17, 2011, 08:38:06 PM

We'll all get GAABoard tshirts for it.