7 (15.6%)
Tyrone
6 (13.3%)
Cork
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: August 30, 2019, 08:02:14 PM

GalwayBayBoy

Galway now reached 3 of the last 4 AI minor finals which is a fair achievement in itself and a testament how many good young players are coming through. Unfortunate to come up against a 5 in a row of Kerry sides during that time although they got a modicum of revenge for the two previous final defeats yesterday.

Will still have it tough against Cork in the final who look like a physically very big minor side.

Hound

Quote from: seafoid on August 12, 2019, 11:24:10 AM
The Dubs haven't won a minor final for a good while.
Their system doesn't kick in until later
Correct. Yet people still think it's the games development funding learners get in primary school that makes all the difference!

An Fhairche Abu

Galway pretty fortunate to win yesterday in all honesty, Kerry had an obscene amount of bad wides down the stretch, couple of their lads didn't take on easier point chances than the actual shots that were eventually taken and missed, it was the only time in the match that I thought they looked truly flustered.
In general play as well they looked the better side, better than Galway at the fundamentals of the game and playing smarter, the Galway lads were addicted to running with the ball into the tackle yesterday, that's a cardinal sin in the modern game and something which the coaches should be looking to stamp out. Galway have to be commended for being able to keep it together after Kerry got 4 scores in 3 minutes after ht, very easy for a bunch of kids up against Kerry to drop the heads at that point, they steadied themselves and managed to hang in there, credit to the management setup for making sure that mentally they were able to deal with a big setback.

The 2018 Galway minor team looked a better overall unit but realistically you are just looking for lads that will project to playing at Senior level and in Culhane, McLaughlin, Seoighe, Fiorentini and thankfully a couple of the FB line there's at least plenty of natural ability there to be built upon, whether it can be fulfilled is of course the question.
Kerry goalkeeper's kick outs were generally excellent, very assured performance from the young lad. Kerry will be disappointed not to progress to yet another final but I'm sure they'll get some lads from that team, they usually do.

One thing for sure is that the GAA are going to have to put in a rule to stop runners going on the pitch for kick out restarts, the Kerry runner went right across the 45 yard line when the Galway goalkeeper was facing into a crucial restart after Kerry had got their final score of the match, he was on the pitch an awful lot in the second half and much more so than his Galway equivalent. This cynical tactic is also very prevalent at Senior level and it's really not until you see it live and start to keep an eye on it specifically that it becomes so apparent that action is required by the rule makers.

galwayman

We probably were a bit lucky to win that game alright with the amount of good scoring chances that Kerry squandered.
Saying that we probably had the best goal chance near the end that McLoughlin butchered.
Much like yourself I felt Kerry looked the better side for most of the game but they could never shake us off and that's massively to our lads credit.
I commented to the brother watching it how good the Kerry keepers kickouts were - he seemed to find a man at his ease every single time with quality ball strikes.
Cian Hernon at Number 5 has impressed me a lot in this campaign.
Himself and Mcloughlin to me look the most promising for the future.
Cork have been really good in their last two games. Will be very difficult game.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 12, 2019, 05:11:22 PM
Galway pretty fortunate to win yesterday in all honesty, Kerry had an obscene amount of bad wides down the stretch, couple of their lads didn't take on easier point chances than the actual shots that were eventually taken and missed, it was the only time in the match that I thought they looked truly flustered.
In general play as well they looked the better side, better than Galway at the fundamentals of the game and playing smarter, the Galway lads were addicted to running with the ball into the tackle yesterday, that's a cardinal sin in the modern game and something which the coaches should be looking to stamp out. Galway have to be commended for being able to keep it together after Kerry got 4 scores in 3 minutes after ht, very easy for a bunch of kids up against Kerry to drop the heads at that point, they steadied themselves and managed to hang in there, credit to the management setup for making sure that mentally they were able to deal with a big setback.

The 2018 Galway minor team looked a better overall.
1st half Kerry only kicked 5 scores from 15 attempts at goal and apart from the 4 scores they got in 3 minutes after half time they looked flustered in their shooting and shot selections.  You are correct Galway were better last year but U17 this year although we got some fine high scoring contests the overall standard has been lower though i might add the finalists Cork and Galway look to be two well managed outfits.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: galwayman on August 12, 2019, 05:41:41 PM
We probably were a bit lucky to win that game alright with the amount of good scoring chances that Kerry squandered.
Saying that we probably had the best goal chance near the end that McLoughlin butchered.
Much like yourself I felt Kerry looked the better side for most of the game but they could never shake us off and that's massively to our lads credit.
I commented to the brother watching it how good the Kerry keepers kickouts were - he seemed to find a man at his ease every single time with quality ball strikes.
Cian Hernon at Number 5 has impressed me a lot in this campaign.
Himself and Mcloughlin to me look the most promising for the future.
Cork have been really good in their last two games. Will be very difficult game.

Hernon was great the last 15 minutes. Really powered into the game with some surging runs forward. Halloran in goal looks promising as well. Good kick out and is a big lad as well. God knows we've been searching for someone to nail down that position for a long time. Maybe in a few years time he can. For me Culhane is the player with a real touch of class about him. The point he scored mid way through the 2nd half when he shimmied the defender one way then the next before swinging it over from distance, was like something you'd see Paul Mannion do for the Dubs. And again he's a good sized lad. And can kick off either foot. Scored two points from distance off right and left.

Kerry kicked some bad wides alright but Galway created two great goal chances in the final 10 minutes. Had they taken either one it would have ended the game. Mind you Kerry had one as well that Halloran saved.

Apparently Cork were missing a good few lads during their Munster campaign and have them all back now. Saw them against Mayo and they are very big right down the spine of the team.

Maroon Manc

Great win, don't think there as good as last years bunch but pleasantly surprised to see them in a final. There was a noticeable between the size of the two teams, Kerry much bigger and stronger than Galway which has been a familiar them to these Kerry teams the last 5 years, not as convinced as many others that how much talent Kerry have coming through.

GalwayBayBoy

The Galway Minor team to play Cork in the All-Ireland Final on Sunday is as follows:

1- Donie Halleran - Cortoon Shamrocks

2- Jonathan McGrath - Caherlistrane

3- Ruairí King - Clifden

4- Liam Tevnan – Northern Gaels

5- Cian Hernon - Bearna

6 -Ethan Fiorentini – St Michaels

7 -Kyle O'Neill - Caherlistrane

8 -James McLaughlin- Maigh Cuilinn

9 -Daniel O Flaherty- Salthill-Knocknacarra

10- Evan Nolan – Salthill-Knocknacarra

11- Warren Seoige – Leitir Mór

12 -Dylan Brady- Corofin

13- Nathan Grainger - Claregalway

14 -Tomo Culhane – Salthill-Knocknacarra

15- Daniel Cox- Maigh Cuilinn

An Fhairche Abu

Based on the semi finals where they were fortunate to sneak past Kerry, the Galway minors have it all to do on the day against a strong Cork team.
For Galway the most important thing long term is where the best of these lads will be in 5 years time but right now for these youngsters it's the biggest day of their sporting lives so far, the very best of luck to them.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 30, 2019, 03:59:08 PM
Based on the semi finals where they were fortunate to sneak past Kerry, the Galway minors have it all to do on the day against a strong Cork team.
For Galway the most important thing long term is where the best of these lads will be in 5 years time but right now for these youngsters it's the biggest day of their sporting lives so far, the very best of luck to them.

Kerry did beat Cork twice in Munster to be fair although the Munster final was a lot closer than their first meeting back in May.

3rd minor final in 4 years for Galway on Sunday. Weren't far off Kerry in the previous two finals so I'm sure they are hoping for 3rd time lucky but you sometimes get more senior players from losing minor teams than ones that win it out.

Cunny Funt

Galway have never lost All Ireland minor final v Cork or be that was U18 level and this is U17 level now.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 30, 2019, 04:12:40 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 30, 2019, 03:59:08 PM

Kerry did beat Cork twice in Munster to be fair although the Munster final was a lot closer than their first meeting back in May.

3rd minor final in 4 years for Galway on Sunday. Weren't far off Kerry in the previous two finals so I'm sure they are hoping for 3rd time lucky but you sometimes get more senior players from losing minor teams than ones that win it out.

I'd take losing and getting a 1994 style Senior player haul from the team anyway!

GalwayBayBoy

Fiorentini flies flag for Italy and England as Tribe bid to foil young Rebels

Michael Verney

August 31 2019 2:30 AM

It's not often, if ever, that an Italian name is to the forefront in Croke Park - but that's not the only thing that makes Galway minor centre-back Ethan Fiorentini stand out from the crowd.

Little did his great grandfather know many moons ago when he left Italy to start a new life in the Donegal town of Moville that a few generations later the distinctive name would grace the game's biggest occasion at GAA HQ.

Ethan's father, Martin, would settle in Galway where he married English woman Christine and it's there in the west of the city that their son began to show an expected flair for soccer given his heritage, but also Gaelic football with local club St Michael's.

Soccer was "his first love" but Fiorentini gradually gravitated towards football with childhood coach Sean Summerville - who worked with him from U-9 to U-14 - remarking that "between the English and the Italians they have created a great footballer".

Anyone watching Galway end Kerry's 34-game unbeaten run at minor level stretching back six years during their epic All-Ireland semi-final would have noticed the diminutive blond No 6 who continuously burst out with ball from defence and drove forward.

That was nothing new for Summerville, however, having watched the slight teenager mop up ball as he progressed through the ranks, culminating last year when he captained St Michael's to U-16 'A' championship glory.

"Ethan was so small and so skinny growing up but I always played him at centre-back. People were always surprised because you'd normally expect your centre-back to be a big, strong lad," Summerville said.

"We always played him there because he just read the game so well, he was always in the right place at the right time and he always seemed to have loads of time on the ball. He picked up some amount of ball for us.

"The gas thing is, you wouldn't even have to coach it into him. You'd be there watching the match and you might see danger coming and be ready to shout to Ethan to drop back but he's already exactly where you want him to be."

Fiorentini is among a strong contingent from St Joseph's Patrician College (The Bish) representing the Donal ó Fatharta's Tribesmen tomorrow in the Electric Ireland All-Ireland minor final and Summerville expects him to shine as Galway bid to thwart Cork and lift the Tom Markham Cup for the first time in 12 years.

"If Galway can win the final, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Ethan is man of the match as he's always a chap for the big occasion - he's well capable of doing it," he said.

It's may not be your typical GAA name, but football fans can expect to hear a lot more about Ethan Fiorentini in the days and years to come.

Blowitupref

15 minutes played Cork 0-2 Galway 0-4. Both teams have settled down after a nervous start. Shame to see Croke Park so empty for AI final. If i paid 90 euro for a ticket i for one would be in to see both games.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Deserved half time lead for the Galway lads. Cork 0-5 Galway 0-8
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose