The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: trailer on July 10, 2018, 09:21:48 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 10, 2018, 08:40:02 AM
A lot of these so called great courses are out of reach to ordinary golfers at €120 plus and more for RCD to play.

Usually if you are a GUI member they are cheaper. I think a lot of them (not all) bump the prices as tourist golfers (mainly American) associate high prices with quality and if the course was €50 to play they simply wouldn't play it. However they then have a different price for GUI members.

Lahinch is €210 a round, whether you are a GUI member or not. They make so much money from tourists that the actual club members only pay €800 per year for membership.

Insane Bolt

Remember playing Waterville many years ago and I was charged the 'yank' rate initially, got a refund before teeing off. Was fortunate to play Ballybunion, Lahinch, Belmullet, Portrush, RCD, Baltray and Portrush remains my all time favourite. I love Murvagh and Greenore also. I couldn't afford to play most of those courses now.

thebigfella

Quote from: trailer on July 10, 2018, 09:21:48 AM
A lot of these so called great courses are out of reach to ordinary golfers at €120 plus and more for RCD to play.

Usually if you are a GUI member they are cheaper. I think a lot of them (not all) bump the prices as tourist golfers (mainly American) associate high prices with quality and if the course was €50 to play they simply wouldn't play it. However they then have a different price for GUI members.

Most of the Top Links courses don't offer a GUI rate and you'll get charged full whack. Some have opens (getting less and more expensive no the good times are back), an open week or scratch cup at a discounted rate but they are not too often.

Ruddy is quite good with European and you'll usually get out at the open rate (50 euro) if you are gui member. The Island, Portmarnock, Lahinch, RCD & Portrush will definitely tell you to fcuk off.... Can't remember the first 3 having any sort of men's open in the last 3 years (the island always seems to have womens opens).

trailer

Who are we all picking?

I like Fowler 16/1 and have a bit of love for Tommy Fleetwood 18/1.  Also have a small wager on Noren 25/1 and JT 20/1.

Think Tiger might struggle. What about RORS? Could he putt it into a bucket at this stage?

Link

RCD was €50 all last week during the mourne club open week. I played the 4BBB on friday.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Link on July 18, 2018, 08:56:26 AM

RCD was €50 all last week during the mourne club open week. I played the 4BBB on friday.
Fcuk I meant to play in that.

Puckoon

4 of the Irish lads at the Barracuda championship here at Beautiful Montreaux Golf and Country Club.

All made the cut, Gmac and Paddy not doing so hot, seamus power hanging around but maybe too far back - big Lowry with a 5 point eagle on 18 to get back to within 8 points off the leader and he's playing in the penultimate group. Be nice to see him charge on and win it!

PGA tour's only stableford (modified) scoring system.

8 points double eagle
5 points eagle
2 points birdie
0 points par
-1 points bogey
-3 points double

Conditions were brutal yesterday with 25 mph winds and dangerous air quality from all the fires

heganboy

Rory playing a bit ragges here. The acorn didn't help...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Orior

Quote from: heganboy on August 05, 2018, 08:57:28 PM
Rory playing a bit ragges here. The acorn didn't help...

Whats the acorn about?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

dec

Shane -1
Rory even
Padraig +1
Paul +3

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Boycey

Lowry still 14 places from safety after the weekebd. Also outside the top 125 are Sergio, GMac and Padraig..

gawa316

US's Ryder cup team looking a bit good...
DJ, Brooks, Justin Thomas, Patrick Reed, Bubba Watson, Jordan Spieth, Rickie Fowler and Webb Simpson plus their 4 wild card picks

trailer

Quote from: gawa316 on August 13, 2018, 06:47:30 PM
DJ, Brooks, Justin Thomas, Patrick Reed, Bubba Watson, Jordan Spieth, Rickie Fowler and Webb Simpson plus their 4 wild card picks

On paper it looks good. But pairing them up might be tricky. Webb Simpson and Bubba together would be good craic. Although Speith, Koepka, Fowler and Thomas all seem to get along really well. You probably put Reed and Bubba together just cause no one else likes them.

laoislad

Quote from: gawa316 on August 13, 2018, 06:47:30 PM
Suppose you're supporting the Yanks now that you are one yourself ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.