Flag and National Anthem for a United Ireland

Started by Dougal Maguire, August 06, 2018, 10:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

What about  a flag that evenly represents both side of political spectrum.
We could have say something like green and orange with maybe white in between to represent peace and unity. Both nationalist north and south and unionists represented in unity. Sure only a bigot wouldn't be happy with that.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Dougal Maguire

You're not wrong there. The times are a changing big time with Brexit, demographics etc creating potential for big changes. Recent history across the world has shown that when movements for change  develop things can change very quickly. What's your view on flag/anthem etc as I always respect your opinions
Careful now

trailer

Unite the people first, then worry about uniting the country. Flags, Anthems and emblems are way, way down the list. Lots of people, on both sides of the divide, have a lot of travelling to do in their minds before we get to a UI.

Rossfan

One thing for sure is that when the new All Ireland Entity comes about it will have a new flag and anthem.
Probably a green flag with that red X on it and the Anthem will be " Our Lovely Island/ Ár Oileán Álainn/ Oor bat o' groond in the watter"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 07, 2018, 10:13:36 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 07, 2018, 09:56:06 AM
Won't happen in our lifetime, so any song or flag will do for this discussion
I'm sure there has been plenty of political changes that you never thought you'd see 30 years ago.

Plenty changes, no bombings and shootings going on, but we've still walls up dividing communities, still sectarian thugs about a mindset of not giving an inch. No inclusion of peoples identities (no matter how shit they come accross) very little acceptance that there is two sides to this sorry state..

It sped up to a point and now its in the gutter.. needs a jump start again to get moving..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Quote from: hardstation on August 07, 2018, 09:22:05 AM
We could change the name of the country to something that makes them feel more at home.

West England?
West Britain?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Itchy

I think we should adopt the gay pride flag and something by the scissor sisters for an anthem.

weareros

Some ancient air or derrière. For the anthem then I'd go with Danny Boy.

Windmill abu

If there is to be a new Anthem it should be called the Irish Reconciliation Anthem
Then Amhrán na bhFiann could be called the Real Irish Reconciliation Anthem
And Irelands call could be the Continuity Irish Reconciliation Anthem
Never underestimate the power of complaining

BennyCake

Given the links to 1916 and Republicanism etc, would Republicans be willing to give up the tricolour for an alternative flag?

general_lee

Skull and cross bones
AC/DC - thunderstruck

All animosity towards each other should be directed towards opponents in sporting events - soccer, rugby etc

seafoid

A green background with a massive tyre bonfire rampant and a Sainsburys should bring most Unionists into the fold. Maybe a rosary beds for completeness.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

I think what we could do is come up with a flag that symbolises all the people on the island, including those from abroad. The Poles obviously would bring red and white, which would suit a lot of the Cork, Louth and Tyrone lads as well. Then for the likes of Monaghan, Dublin, Tipperary, etc, a nice Blue, royal blue or navy maybe. To give due regard to our religious past, perhaps these colours could be arranged in a series of crosses, maybe a couple of diagonally crossed, and a couple horizontal and vertically crossed.

Then, as regards the name of the country, we could look at our position in the geographical British Isles, and given our proximity to 'Great' Britain, we could logically call ourselves 'Little' Britain, or maybe Britain West.

I don't see how any Unionist could be offended then.

BennyCake

A new flag and anthem to unite, when flags and anthems do exactly the opposite.

LooseCannon

The Irish for Wales translates to little Britain.

An Bhreatain Bheag.

So that name can be ruled out.