Flag and National Anthem for a United Ireland

Started by Dougal Maguire, August 06, 2018, 10:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

This discussion started on the Irish Hockey thread but that's not the right place for it. Question is what colour flag and national anthem might be acceptable for all citizens of a United Ireland?
Careful now

Aristo 60

It should be red to signify the love for the new United Ireland and black to signify the dark days of the troubles.

BennyCake

I'd recommend trying to accommodate northern unionists who don't want to be accommodated in this new United Ireland first, before talking about a flag and anthem.

LooseCannon

The flag already represents the two traditions.

End of.

Anthem is fine.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 11:10:14 PM
I'd recommend trying to accommodate northern unionists who don't want to be accommodated in this new United Ireland first, before talking about a flag and anthem.

I agree. If we came up with a new flag and anthem now the unionists would just turn against it the same way they've turned against the tricolour and Amhran na bhFiann. We have to get them on board first. Redesigning the flag and rewriting the anthem strikes me as being a bit far down the list of things that need to happen to reunite the country.

red hander

Eamonnca1

Quote from: LooseCannon on August 06, 2018, 11:16:27 PM

End of.

Anthem is fine.

Ireland is supposedly represented on the Union Jack too. Are you okay with that?

Mikhail Prokhorov

they seem fine with irelands call even though its shite

michaelg

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on August 07, 2018, 12:30:22 AM
they seem fine with irelands call even though its shite
MOre the case that it is not the Soldier's Song.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 07, 2018, 12:22:56 AM

End of.

Anthem is fine.

Ireland is supposedly represented on the Union Jack too. Are you okay with that?

No, no I am not.

gallsman

Orior

End of.

Anthem is fine.

I agree. We've already had to give up the starry plough.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: gallsman on August 07, 2018, 08:22:30 AM
Such hypocrisy here.

"It's fine"

Yes. For you.
100% correct. In the event of a United Ireland there would have to be a new flag and anthem that everyone could stand behind. Also perhaps some new arrangement for instance like becoming a member of the Commonwealth under an arrangement like South Africa. No point uniting the country without uniting the people
Careful now

Tyrdub

Milltown Row2

Won't happen in our lifetime, so any song or flag will do for this discussion
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea