2015 Laois Senior Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

It was a very laboured win today and we were made sweat with that last minute free.

What a pedantic, whistle happy ref!

The play was messy but he never let it flow at all. No  doubt alot of the calls he made were probebly right but it was the way he went about it.

Great to see Picky back and it's a good job he got that one under his belt because he needs to be on top of his game in two weeks. Willie had an off day and PJ never got going. The wind was a factor but it wasn't the wind that made our first touch so poor.

However we got the win and it's going to be some battle in O'Moore PArk in two weeks. A very small crowd at the game today and we are going to need plenty of support in Portlaoise as I would think Westmeath will travel after todays result.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

TheGreatGame

Like the minors yesterday Laois got the win but the performance wasn't there.  We hurled for the first 10 minutes of the second half, went 11 points up and then totally switched off and invited Carlow back into the game.  It nearly ended disastrously too as that last minute free that was lobbed in could have went anywhere.  The positives were that the full back line was solid, particularly in the first half.  Matthew seems to be coming back into some kind of form.  Campion looks like he could do a job at wing back, I love the physicality he brings to it.  Make no mistake though, another performance like that and we exit this years championship.

burdizzo

This habit of falling asleep and not closing out games in a bit of a worry. Carlow were well beaten halfway through the first half, but were let right back into it. In fact, the third quarter was the only period where Laoise showed what they're capable of, at all, and in the first half Carlow seemed far more eager, and were getting in hooks and blocks much more than our lads. Poor Willy caught some great ball, but his radar was turned off, though he wasn't the only one guilty of bad wides in the first half. Obviously, Ben Conroy's 1-3 was vital, and he could have had another goal, too. Amazing sometimes when you come on, things just go for you! In fairness to Rowland, he made a couple of important contributions - maybe they were bread and butter stuff, but still, he did 'em. I see they dropped a man back in the second half, too, which seemed to work - until they went to sleep, that is.
I tell you, Laoise getting out of this round-robin is far from a certainty. Westmeath will be on a high, and I'd say there could be a bit of nervousness now.

G@@

Firstly, I'd like to ask where the hell Cheddar's thinking was on the side line... the PR announced how the Westmeath game was going several times and Cheddar should have instructed Laois to pile on the points. Westmeath did us a huge favour in opening a door back to the top of this table, but Cheddar then decided to play deep and try and hold a 10pt lead. Madness. Utter madness. Then to introduce Paddy Whelan to top it all off. I have savage respect for Cheddar and all the great things he is doing, but I'd have to question his match-day thinking, and what he did in Carlow has me baffled.

Secondly, the players themselves have some soul searching to do - a dismal performance overall that would see a better team tank us. Only for Ben Conroy (the only good decision by Cheddar today) and we would be out of our provincial championship this evening. It's time the players copped themselves on and realise they are in Championship hurling and there is nowhere to hide now.

We now have two weeks to prepare for a very boosted Westmeath side and take them out by 9 or 10pts to earn a crack at Offaly - judging on today's performance I think we'll struggle to beat them by a point or two if at all win.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Plain of the Herbs

You're forgetting something, Townman.

You're pretending to be from Laois when you post in this site.
Quote from: Thewildcat on May 10, 2015, 05:11:19 PM
Westmeath 1-21 Antrim 0-7 told ya Antrim could slip up, some display from westmeath all the talk was Laois or Antrim to come out top in this group looks like westmeath will at least get second.  laois had 3 point to spare over carlow so they play westmeath in portlaoise in two weeks, would laois have to beat westmeath well to finish top i think they beat carlow by 3 points to. they are top today  so would any sort of win do for laois if both lose just 1 game.

merman

Things aren't good Folks, that was another poor showing against an average enough Div 2 team.
Carlow offered very little but when we should have kicked on and buried them with 15/20 minutes to go, we retreated; and poor discipline, concentration, and generally, poor technique, almost left the door open for them.

I check most counties GAA forums pretty regularly and a very good poster on the uibhfhaili site suggests that we look like a team who are leggy from over-training; perhaps looking to peak for a Leinster-quarter. I think that could be a valid point.
We finished hurling at 60 minutes today and we were caught from behind against Antrim also, though I appreciate in different circumstances. The lads should be as fit as they ever have been. I doubt any Laois hurling team has put in the hours and work that this team has over the last 18-30 months but you wouldn't tell today. I don't know if it's physical or mental but there's a sense of fatigue emanating from the camp and I believe it's feeding into the support-base also.

Something isn't right and questions must be asked about some of the decisions made on the line.
I really like Joe Campion and thought he did very well today but what must some of the subs be thinking. We have at least 4 natural defenders on our bench who were overlooked to bring a half-forward back. I still don't understand what Tom Delaney or Dwayne Palmer have done to see themselves fall so far out of favour.
Willie Hyland was taken off after hurling quite well in Ballycastle yet when he struggled today he was inexplicably moved into full forward and then had ball after ball angled away from him into corners. Jesus Christ, he was lording the ball in the air, yes the shooting was off but to put him in at full-forward and puck every ball into space where they had an extra man covering was ridiculous.
It actually seemed like the forwards were moved around for no reason at times; Ross King and Ben Conroy were both moved shortly after looking particularly dangerous in either corner.

I don't mean to be dismissive of Carlow because Lord knows we in Laois haven't nearly earned that right yet but they are a poor team. They created no real goal chance but on another day, they would have beaten us today. They drove some sorry wides in that abysmal first half and were still only a puck of the ball away at full time.
Westmeath look a step up on Carlow and they're riding the crest of a wave after such an incredible weekend. We played them last year in Mullingar and it was a poor enough match. I remember leaving quite frustrated after watching Picky toil away in our half-back line and the stick work on both sides was poor. I can't see us beating them by 9 points so I believe we're going to need a favour from Carlow. This is not beyond the realms of possibility as they have plenty to play for but my pre-championship optimism has taken a hammering and today did little to make up for last week in my book...

Catch and Kick

Quote from: merman on May 10, 2015, 11:22:51 PM
Things aren't good Folks, that was another poor showing against an average enough Div 2 team.
Carlow offered very little but when we should have kicked on and buried them with 15/20 minutes to go, we retreated; and poor discipline, concentration, and generally, poor technique, almost left the door open for them.

I check most counties GAA forums pretty regularly and a very good poster on the uibhfhaili site suggests that we look like a team who are leggy from over-training; perhaps looking to peak for a Leinster-quarter. I think that could be a valid point.
We finished hurling at 60 minutes today and we were caught from behind against Antrim also, though I appreciate in different circumstances. The lads should be as fit as they ever have been. I doubt any Laois hurling team has put in the hours and work that this team has over the last 18-30 months but you wouldn't tell today. I don't know if it's physical or mental but there's a sense of fatigue emanating from the camp and I believe it's feeding into the support-base also.

Fairly pathetic and negative post.
Giver credit to the management; they were in a whisker of 2 wins.  They got one today. second guessing decisions - only those involved know the full facts.  Arrogant about Carlow too. Carlow were probably the better side in the first half and really pushed hard in the final ten minutes.
Something isn't right and questions must be asked about some of the decisions made on the line.
I really like Joe Campion and thought he did very well today but what must some of the subs be thinking. We have at least 4 natural defenders on our bench who were overlooked to bring a half-forward back. I still don't understand what Tom Delaney or Dwayne Palmer have done to see themselves fall so far out of favour.
Willie Hyland was taken off after hurling quite well in Ballycastle yet when he struggled today he was inexplicably moved into full forward and then had ball after ball angled away from him into corners. Jesus Christ, he was lording the ball in the air, yes the shooting was off but to put him in at full-forward and puck every ball into space where they had an extra man covering was ridiculous.
It actually seemed like the forwards were moved around for no reason at times; Ross King and Ben Conroy were both moved shortly after looking particularly dangerous in either corner.

I don't mean to be dismissive of Carlow because Lord knows we in Laois haven't nearly earned that right yet but they are a poor team. They created no real goal chance but on another day, they would have beaten us today. They drove some sorry wides in that abysmal first half and were still only a puck of the ball away at full time.
Westmeath look a step up on Carlow and they're riding the crest of a wave after such an incredible weekend. We played them last year in Mullingar and it was a poor enough match. I remember leaving quite frustrated after watching Picky toil away in our half-back line and the stick work on both sides was poor. I can't see us beating them by 9 points so I believe we're going to need a favour from Carlow. This is not beyond the realms of possibility as they have plenty to play for but my pre-championship optimism has taken a hammering and today did little to make up for last week in my book...

Thewildcat

Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on May 10, 2015, 10:14:21 PM
You're forgetting something, Townman.

You're pretending to be from Laois when you post in this site.
Quote from: Thewildcat on May 10, 2015, 05:11:19 PM
Westmeath 1-21 Antrim 0-7 told ya Antrim could slip up, some display from westmeath all the talk was Laois or Antrim to come out top in this group looks like westmeath will at least get second.  laois had 3 point to spare over carlow so they play westmeath in portlaoise in two weeks, would laois have to beat westmeath well to finish top i think they beat carlow by 3 points to. they are top today  so would any sort of win do for laois if both lose just 1 game.

if you read all my post on this site you prize p***k you will see i am not from laois, i am not like you going from site to site looking up old paper clips and facts and thinks his the Jimmy Magee of the websites :-[

merman

Quote from: Catch and Kick on May 10, 2015, 11:59:17 PM

Pathetic?
What was pathetic about the post?
I'll concede it was negative but I've been following Laois hurling long enough to form an opinion and I'm sorry that's contrary to yours. I posted hundreds of posts on LaoisTalk and was regularly accused of being overly positive; people often disagreed with me and that led to some decent debate.
I'd happily debate with you over anything I posted; I won't even call you pathetic for things I disagree with.

If you think the standard of hurling produced yesterday was reflective of the ability within that squad then fair enough, you're more than entitled to that view.
I think you're wrong though. And so did a lot of Laois people leaving DCP yesterday.

Catch and Kick

Quote from: merman on May 11, 2015, 08:23:50 AM
Quote from: Catch and Kick on May 10, 2015, 11:59:17 PM

Pathetic?
What was pathetic about the post?
I'll concede it was negative but I've been following Laois hurling long enough to form an opinion and I'm sorry that's contrary to yours. I posted hundreds of posts on LaoisTalk and was regularly accused of being overly positive; people often disagreed with me and that led to some decent debate.

No I'm sure sorry know they can play a lot lot better. And they will. I'm looking at it from the perspective of a player and the management. They are putting massive effort in; some days teams are off colour. Happens to the best of them. And the same applies to Carlow who have been hurling who have made great strides in recent years.
They us nothing and its easy be negative about teams from the comfort of our armchairs typing these posts.
The expectations we have of amateurs are totally unfair in the GAA all over the country.
As an aside, this young footballer in Monaghan is now going to be destroyed in the media and social media. It isn't right. We are treating these players as though they are professionals and imposing standards and expectations on them that are putting huge pressures on them.
I'd happily debate with you over anything I posted; I won't even call you pathetic for things I disagree with.

If you think the standard of hurling produced yesterday was reflective of the ability within that squad then fair enough, you're more than entitled to that view.
I think you're wrong though. And so did a lot of Laois people leaving DCP yesterday.

redsetanta

Cheddar speaking with Jack Nolan after the game. Lets get behind the lads for the game in Portlaoise in two weeks.

https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/cheddar-plunkett-post-carlow-2
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Dave like the tv channel

What's the story when teams are level on points? Assuming Laois beat Westmeath and Antrim beat Carlow...

Currently
Westmeath 4pts +19
Antrim 2pts -16
Laois 2pts +2

Laois' third place is the head-to-head (again assumed) but if three teams are level, do they simply disregard the Carlow results for each team?

les Antiques

Yes support will be vital Sunday week as Westmeath will surely have a big following as the bandwagon starts to roll . Make no mistake this is going to be incredibly tough but I just wonder how the favourites tag will suit Westmeath .. They have been generally underdogs against Laois and this will be the first time in a long the roles will have been reversed .
Laois looked tired to me on Sunday .This was seen in many ways throughout the 70 mins including the poor first touch and constant lapses of concentration . A huge amount of work has been undertaken with this group of players and I expect it to pay off in the coming weeks starting with a win over Westmeath .

burdizzo

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on May 11, 2015, 04:12:12 PM
What's the story when teams are level on points? Assuming Laois beat Westmeath and Antrim beat Carlow...

Currently
Westmeath 4pts +19
Antrim 2pts -16
Laois 2pts +2

Laois' third place is the head-to-head (again assumed) but if three teams are level, do they simply disregard the Carlow results for each team?

Oooh, I wouldn't make either of those two assumptions. Carlow still have a lot to play for, it's in Dr. Cullen Park, and Antrim don't seem to travel that well. They're cutting the round robin group to three for 2016, so the last placed team automatically goes down, and the second last plays the 2015 Christy Ring winners. So, the stakes are quite high! If Laoise lose to Westmeath, they will, at best, be in another relegation playoff.

redsetanta

I am sure i read that Christy Ring winners come up and  bottom team in round robin go down.