Mayo v Dubs 2 July

Started by The Hill is Blue, June 26, 2023, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

What's the story lads. Who's going to win? Paddy Power thinks it's Dublin.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

bennydorano

Some of the Pods today saying the Dubs haven't really had a game yet & could be undercooked.

Blowitupref

Quote from: bennydorano on June 26, 2023, 05:56:26 PM
Some of the Pods today saying the Dubs haven't really had a game yet & could be undercooked.

Pods aren't doing their research or have short memories.  In Div 2 Dublin had to pull wins out of the bag against Kildare and Clare in Croke and lost to Derry and took a last minute save to avoid defeat to Cork.  In the Leinster final again looked like Kildare would beat them but a late rally got them over the line and drew with Roscommon in the group stage.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

From the Bunker

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 26, 2023, 07:33:44 PM

Pods aren't doing their research or have short memories.  In Div 2 Dublin had to pull wins out of the bag against Kildare and Clare in Croke and lost to Derry and took a last minute save to avoid defeat to Cork.  In the Leinster final again looked like Kildare would beat them but a late rally got them over the line and drew with Roscommon in the group stage.

Pods realise that Mayo have lost to Roscommon and Cork in the Championship and barely beat Louth. Dublin are undefeated in the Championship. Dublin are playing in their home ground.

bennydorano

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 26, 2023, 07:33:44 PM

I'm guessing they didn't think too much of the quality of opposition they've been facing recently and after a Division 2 campaign.

larryin89

Unfortunately I expect Dublin to easily account for our bruised and battered warriors . Last 20 mins of this game I really fear could be wild scoring as our bucks completely run out of gas . 

We won the league , had a very enjoyable win down in Killarney, knocked Galway out . Overall it's been a 7/10 year for their first year as a management team . Croker the weekend is truly bonus territory imo , the one week turnaround will be the killer for a team that has not looked to have great stamina all year anyway ie last periods of several games from the league right through the championship.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

rrhf

We could see a return of the cheeky dubs this weekend.. the swagger, their home ground, the hill...

statto

Quote from: larryin89 on June 27, 2023, 09:59:15 AM
Unfortunately I expect Dublin to easily account for our bruised and battered warriors . Last 20 mins of this game I really fear could be wild scoring as our bucks completely run out of gas . 

We won the league , had a very enjoyable win down in Killarney, knocked Galway out . Overall it's been a 7/10 year for their first year as a management team . Croker the weekend is truly bonus territory imo , the one week turnaround will be the killer for a team that has not looked to have great stamina all year anyway ie last periods of several games from the league right through the championship.

Larry was Ruane dropped or injured?  Would think he would need to match up against Fenton in the middle for this one. 

larryin89

I think he was down with this stomach bug that apparently ran through half the squad before the cork game .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Hound

Home advantage proving not worth a damn in the championship this year. Again. Best team on the day wins, no matter the venue. Connacht teams especially finding it difficult to win home games!

Big worry for the Dubs is lack of preparation. The only one of the quarter finalists who have played none of the remaining quarter finalists in the championship. Mayo will definitely turn up with vigour and will be getting rightly stuck in as they always do. Unless they have picked up injuries, playing every week is absolutely no problem to them, they are as fit a team as there is. McStay will also fix the selection, definitely won't be the same starting XV. .

Dubs should just about be back to full strength for the first time this year. But some doubt surrounds who should start and who should be impact sub. We need the likes of Fenton, Howard, Kilkenny to have big games, they have been inconsistent this year, we can't afford for them to be quiet against Mayo. And it will be very interesting to see whether Jack and Mannion are starters or subs, and if they can produce a performance when they get on the pitch.

yellowcard

The Dubs are all about squeezing one last drop out of the remnants of the 6 in a row team. It's why the rebuild has been put on hold and the likes of Cluxton has returned at 41 and McCarthy and Fitzsimmons have kept on playing. To try and get to an unprecedented 9 All Ireland medals. Is that desire still there after all those titles? We don't really know but I think Mayo will at least put that to the test on Sunday. Whether that is enough to take out the Dubs I wouldn't be too sure and I'd still favour Dublin to win this one.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: statto on June 27, 2023, 10:07:48 AM

Larry was Ruane dropped or injured?  Would think he would need to match up against Fenton in the middle for this one.

He was dropped, and rightly so, he's been poor for two years bar a couple of games
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Maroon Manc

Very difficult to know where Dublin are at so just so difficult to predict and can Mayo put back to back performances together.

Those kick out stats will have alarmed McStay especially considering so many were contested but on the flip side they managed to win despite only winning 12 out of 37 kickouts.

WhoDat

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 27, 2023, 11:39:11 AM
Quote from: statto on June 27, 2023, 10:07:48 AM

He was dropped, and rightly so, he's been poor for two years bar a couple of games

have heard a lot of people expressing surprise at ruane not being selected. i do not rate him as a midfielder. tyrone ruthlessly exposed his shortcomings in that position in 2021 and every team in the country knows how to play him now. if he plays for mayo on sunday, gurenteed he will be a liability.

highorlow

QuoteUnfortunately I expect Dublin to easily account for our bruised and battered warriors . Last 20 mins of this game I really fear could be wild scoring as our bucks completely run out of gas . 

Can't argue with much of that but the single bright thing that gives us hope is that in latter years when Dublin were at their peak it would be a case of "how do you stop the Dubs?", not as much of that going on these days. Might be close enough but I'd say the 5 day turnaround excluding travel will catch us alright.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go