Started by Baile Brigín 2, April 07, 2022, 03:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 08, 2022, 07:09:51 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on April 08, 2022, 05:34:44 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 08, 2022, 04:54:47 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on April 08, 2022, 03:55:53 PM
It's all the dinosaurs in the Gah who do this

2 u13's told if they were joining a Dublin school boy club to give up all other sport as a condition of them joining

Currently 5 u15's in Offaly barred by Athlone Town from playing GAA

GAA as per usual held to a different standard than the rugby and soccer
Unsourced whataboutery

Except it's not,in the instance of the 2 u13's I can name both the players the soccer club and the manager as the manager was my brother in law

If my claim about the 5 u15s in Clara is wrong

prove me wrong
I presume this is referring to the same?
https://twitter.com/pauldeeh19/status/1512177760088829957

I'm not sure what more evidence is needed as I'd also know those involved and it stacks up.

I'd expect BB2 is in denial of anything that might run counter his perma-victim mindset when it comes to Irish domestic soccer.

A bloke on twitter isn't evidence

Baile Brigín 2

2 u13's told if they were joining a Dublin school boy club to give up all other sport as a condition of them joining

Unsourced whataboutery

Except it's not,in the instance of the 2 u13's I can name both the players the soccer club and the manager as the manager was my brother in law

prove me wrong

I'm not sure what more evidence is needed as I'd also know those involved and it stacks up.

I'd expect BB2 is in denial of anything that might run counter his perma-victim mindset when it comes to Irish domestic soccer.

Again. A bloke on Twitter.

I'm not in denial. I'm asking for people to back up their claims. But it's whataboutery. We are on a GAA forum discussing an incident in the GAA.

GAABoardMod5

clonadmad

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 08, 2022, 08:28:50 PM

Unsourced whataboutery

prove me wrong

I'm not in denial. I'm asking for people to back up their claims. But it's whataboutery. We are on a GAA forum discussing an incident in the GAA.

Not just any bloke

Paul Deehan is the manager of that particular Clara team and he has said on Twitter that it's 100% that 5 of his u15 team are being prevented from playing Gaelic Football by Athlone Town Fc

The question for you now is quite simple

Do you want to climb out of the hole  you've dug for yourself

Or

Do you want to stay digging and look an even bigger fool than you already are?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: clonadmad on April 08, 2022, 09:16:26 PM

Unsourced whataboutery

prove me wrong

Not just any bloke

Paul Deehan is the manager of that particular Clara team and he has said on Twitter that it's 100% that 5 of his u15 team are being prevented from playing Gaelic Football by Athlone Town Fc

Or

If that is true he needs to kick up a fuss. The FAI will not back that position.

But just because other codes may or may not be doing something does not deflect from the topic in hand and the contradictory statements from the Offaly CB.

clonadmad

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 08, 2022, 09:25:04 PM

Unsourced whataboutery

prove me wrong

Not just any bloke

Or

If that is true he needs to kick up a fuss. The FAI will not back that position.

But just because other codes may or may not be doing something does not deflect from the topic in hand and the contradictory statements from the Offaly CB.

Sligo Rovers at it as well

asking players to sign contracts at u15 and instructing them to play no other sport

David McKeown

I've coached youth (association) football at all ages and levels including players who've gone on to be international footballers and I've never had a requirement that they give up their other activities. Even some who had arrangements with English clubs were allowed to play for us and play other sports.

I truly don't see the advantage to it. If the child prioritise the other sport fine they would find it harder to get game time than the one I had coached who knew what I was looking but they weren't excluded and they didn't get no time it was just harder for me to pick them or recommend picking them if it was a close call between players. All the players knew that and behaved appropriately.

Interestingly though a number of Belfast schools won't consider you for their first rugby teams if you played football because historically matches for both were on Saturdays.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: clonadmad on April 09, 2022, 10:53:49 AM

Unsourced whataboutery

prove me wrong

Not just any bloke

Or

asking players to sign contracts at u15 and instructing them to play no other sport

That's acadamy stuff though. They are entering into a professional environment and that's the age you need to specalise. You are monitoring diet and fitness at that level.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: David McKeown on April 08, 2022, 11:23:28 AM
To me it looks like one of two scenarios has occurred.

Either the kids have been removed because they have prioritised soccer which makes me question the professionalism of Offaly in dealing with kids.

Or

Offaly demand professional levels of commitment from 13 year olds (and the reason for missing the session is largely irrelevant) which makes me saddened at the approach being taken to an amateur sport.

Either way I don't think Offaly have covered themselves in glory here. Poor kids

There's a third possibility here, you know. I have no idea what happened in this particular circumstance. I just want to make a general point, if I may.

Sometimes lads on youth teams are dropped because they have been acting the maggot in one way or another. But, because the GAA is an amateur association they're not publicly shamed and a cover-story press release is made - two lads were dropped for playing tennis when they should have been training, or whatever.

Two things can happen then. Either the lads' families get on the phone to the local Joe Duffy and say it's a disgrace, or the local Joe Duffy sees the story and writes it up as a garrison-game-versus-the-GAA story. Either story sells, and that's what news is about - selling papers. Truth always coms second to selling papers.

The GAA are then in a bind because, again, they're not going to dump children in it. Mick might have been playing tennis alright but maybe he was drinking Buckfast on the team bus too, and it's the latter that's the real reason for his dropping.

Again, I have no idea what happened in this case, and I don't really care - I'm sure Edenderry is a lovely spot but they can paddle their own canoe. I've got my own problems. I'm commenting here because it's important for people to be suspicious of what they read in the papers in general, and to think hard about why the story is being published in the first place.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 09, 2022, 02:34:03 PM

Either the kids have been removed because they have prioritised soccer which makes me question the professionalism of Offaly in dealing with kids.

Or

Offaly demand professional levels of commitment from 13 year olds (and the reason for missing the session is largely irrelevant) which makes me saddened at the approach being taken to an amateur sport.

Either way I don't think Offaly have covered themselves in glory here. Poor kids

There's a third possibility here, you know. I have no idea what happened in this particular circumstance. I just want to make a general point, if I may.

Sometimes lads on youth teams are dropped because they have been acting the maggot in one way or another. But, because the GAA is an amateur association they're not publicly shamed and a cover-story press release is made - two lads were dropped for playing tennis when they should have been training, or whatever.

Two things can happen then. Either the lads' families get on the phone to the local Joe Duffy and say it's a disgrace, or the local Joe Duffy sees the story and writes it up as a garrison-game-versus-the-GAA story. Either story sells, and that's what news is about - selling papers. Truth always coms second to selling papers.

The GAA are then in a bind because, again, they're not going to dump children in it. Mick might have been playing tennis alright but maybe he was drinking Buckfast on the team bus too, and it's the latter that's the real reason for his dropping.

Again, I have no idea what happened in this case, and I don't really care - I'm sure Edenderry is a lovely spot but they can paddle their own canoe. I've got my own problems. I'm commenting here because it's important for people to be suspicious of what they read in the papers in general, and to think hard about why the story is being published in the first place.
First thought that came into my head when i seen this story published.

Main Street

I'd say the decision was not made until it became known the kids had played in a soccer game,
but Offaly GAA are going with the crime of 'missing practice'.
According to the news article,
the parents had given notice (as per the 'rules') that the kids would miss the session.
There was no dialogue with the parents or disciplinary procedure of any sort enacted before the decision was made.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 09, 2022, 02:34:03 PM

Or

Hitting the gargle so hard they made the FAI cup qf team?

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 09, 2022, 05:29:32 PM

Hitting the gargle so hard they made the FAI cup qf team?

No. Read the comment again. I was not talking about the Edenderry situation in any way, shape of form. I was just telling a story in general of which I had been reminded by the Edenderry situation. I have no idea what's going on in Edenderry, who's right or who's wrong. I don't expect to ever find out either.

clonadmad

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 09, 2022, 12:02:25 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on April 09, 2022, 10:53:49 AM

Unsourced whataboutery

prove me wrong

Not just any bloke

Or

That's acadamy stuff though. They are entering into a professional environment and that's the age you need to specalise. You are monitoring diet and fitness at that level.

At u15 !!!!

I'm sure if it was the GAA doing it you'd bring humming a different choon