The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on March 14, 2018, 12:10:05 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 14, 2018, 12:01:12 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 14, 2018, 09:00:58 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 08:55:14 AM
Liverpool fans. I've asked a question on the United page, and I wonder what the reaction here is. Given Mourinho's dour approach, paranoid personality and general negative attitude, counter balanced with his record in big games, and his ability to win trophies. Would you swap our swashbuckling, all out entertainment but frustratingly naive defensively manager, who may win some trophies but probably not as many as Mourinho, for the United manager?

Not a mission. The thing is you don't have to such a **** to be a winner. I think Klopp is organically building his team that has the core of a winning mentality. Still 2-3 main players away from it but a good summer could make a huge difference. New keeer, new defensive MF, another forward and Keita coming in. We are not winning the CL this year but a good draw and result in the quarter final and another top 4 finish and we have made huge progress.
The problem is if there is no silverware over a period of time the good players start to look away and you are always remain 2-3 players away from greatness. We've been talking about shoring up the defence since Brendan and Suarez.

Is an FA Cup or a League Cup really going to sway the caliber of player Liverpool are hoping to attract?

Champions League participation and realistic prospects of title challenges are what matter.

I agree J70, but as a fan, and as a fanbase, silverware is important. Liverpool is about winning trophies, and while obviously the League and CL are the holy grail, picking up a trophy every second season or so is important.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 12:16:23 PM
Liverpool fans. I've asked a question on the United page, and I wonder what the reaction here is. Given Mourinho's dour approach, paranoid personality and general negative attitude, counter balanced with his record in big games, and his ability to win trophies. Would you swap our swashbuckling, all out entertainment but frustratingly naive defensively manager, who may win some trophies but probably not as many as Mourinho, for the United manager?

Not a mission. The thing is you don't have to such a **** to be a winner. I think Klopp is organically building his team that has the core of a winning mentality. Still 2-3 main players away from it but a good summer could make a huge difference. New keeer, new defensive MF, another forward and Keita coming in. We are not winning the CL this year but a good draw and result in the quarter final and another top 4 finish and we have made huge progress.
The problem is if there is no silverware over a period of time the good players start to look away and you are always remain 2-3 players away from greatness. We've been talking about shoring up the defence since Brendan and Suarez.

Is an FA Cup or a League Cup really going to sway the caliber of player Liverpool are hoping to attract?

Champions League participation and realistic prospects of title challenges are what matter.

I agree J70, but as a fan, and as a fanbase, silverware is important. Liverpool is about winning trophies, and while obviously the League and CL are the holy grail, picking up a trophy every second season or so is important.
I agree. When you are in the habit of winning the big trophies the importance of the FA Cup, League Cup, Europa etc. diminishes but given the choice between something or nothing, I'll take the something. League/CL is the pinnacle and we'll take it all day long but given the alternative I'd take a cup win as growing up the abiding memories are the big cup wins in Europe and the FA Cups against Everton in 86 and 89. I'd rather have my kids seeing more of the same.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 14, 2018, 12:24:37 PM

I agree. When you are in the habit of winning the big trophies the importance of the FA Cup, League Cup, Europa etc. diminishes but given the choice between something or nothing, I'll take the something. League/CL is the pinnacle and we'll take it all day long but given the alternative I'd take a cup win as growing up the abiding memories are the big cup wins in Europe and the FA Cups against Everton in 86 and 89. I'd rather have my kids seeing more of the same.
+1
I'd love to see Liverpool win the FA Cup.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

It doesn't hurt obviously, and usually those who win those trophies regularly are doing well in the league and Europe anyway. But I think League/CL performances matter far, far more than the other two. I would not be dumping a manager who was reaching the semis of the CL and finishing top two or three every year just because he didn't win the FA Cup or LC.

It's like winning a national league in Gaelic football. Nice to get, but no one cares about it at the end of the season if you've had a poor championship. 2007 in Donegal was more memorable for the hammerings by Tyrone (Ulster) and Monaghan (Qualifiers) than for our one and only national league win. Similarly, no one cared that Monaghan made shit of us in the 2014 Div 2 final after we subsequently beat them in the Ulster Final and made the AI final, beating the Dubs along the way. Had Donegal followed up that league win with an Ulster title in 2007, it would be remembered far more fondly, rather than as a team getting on a one-off roll in a competition where the big guns were not as fit or just didn't give a bollocks.

J70

To put it another way, I don't think an FA Cup win or LC win should or could SAVE the job of a manager who wasn't showing progress in the league and Europe.

Look to Dalglish himself, or Van Gaal (and maybe Wenger) for recent examples.

J70

And yet another way ... to me, Klopp should be judged solely on the league and CL.

I don't really give a shit if he wins the FA Cup or LC.

But that's just me.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on March 14, 2018, 12:44:16 PM
And yet another way ... to me, Klopp should be judged solely on the league and CL.

But that's just me.

So if Klopp was boring and teams won league or champions league you'd be happy? Contradiction there also, and by same token should he not win either show him the door?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2018, 12:48:37 PM

But that's just me.

So if Klopp was boring and teams won league or champions league you'd be happy? Contradiction there also, and by same token should he not win either show him the door?
The fans would want more; the owners and Board would be delighted. As somebody said above not many teams can manage both; City at the minute in England and United when Fergie was the gaffer in recent times were able to nail it.

J70

But that's just me.

No contradiction. I was t referring to style, merely the grounds on which the manager should be judged. The exciting football is part of the Klopp package.

That package still has to be gauged on progress in the league and Europe, however. The FA Cup and LC don't matter.

I didn't say he had to actually win either, though that is obviously ultimately the aim. However, if you're consistently putting in a serious challenge over a few seasons, the chances are that you will make it eventually, assuming the support is there in terms of improving the team.

TabClear

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 14, 2018, 12:54:50 PM

But that's just me.

The fans would want more; the owners and Board would be delighted. As somebody said above not many teams can manage both; City at the minute in England and United when Fergie was the gaffer in recent times were able to nail it.

Its the PL I want to see. CL would be great obviously but I would be willing to put up with one year of Mourinho style football to win the league. But this season, if it were a choice between playing the type off football we have, finish fourth and win nothing or play the type of football Utd have played, finish 2nd and win an FA Cup, I honestly think I prefer the Liverpool outcome. Yes you might have to listen to  people like that StGalls moron (where is he by the way?? Hope nothing happened him??) but at least when I sit down to watch a Liverpool game i look forward to it. The dross that Mourhino has served up all year, (with few exceptions) you might as well just check the league tables on  Monday.

As much as I disliked Ferguson, you could nt help but have a grudging admiration for the way his teams played

Milltown Row2

But how does a boring team have a better goal difference and sit two places above? Strange season for the also rans
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2018, 02:37:29 PM
But how does a boring team have a better goal difference and sit two places above? Strange season for the also rans

What has boring got to do with Goal Difference and 2 places above? That's the whole point of my question FFS. Do you prefer the 'we'll score more than you' approach of Klopp, even though it may be less effective than the 'I'll grind out a result against you'.

If United scored more than Liverpool this may have been relevant. Liverpool have scored 10 goals more, and conceded 11 goals more.

TabClear

just curious, are you saying that you think Liverpool and United have been equally entertaining this year?

United tend to win their games against the "lesser teams" by holding onto leads better than Liverpool. And they have one of the worlds best goalkeepers behind a better defense. Does that make them a better team, possibly, the league table does nt lie (in May) Does nt make them good to watch though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: TabClear on March 14, 2018, 02:44:32 PM

just curious, are you saying that you think Liverpool and United have been equally entertaining this year?

United tend to win their games against the "lesser teams" by holding onto leads better than Liverpool. And they have one of the worlds best goalkeepers behind a better defense. Does that make them a better team, possibly, the league table does nt lie (in May) Does nt make them good to watch though.

I'm not saying in the slightest that Utd have been entertaining, I said its a strange league

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 02:41:15 PM

What has boring got to do with Goal Difference and 2 places above? That's the whole point of my question FFS. Do you prefer the 'we'll score more than you' approach of Klopp, even though it may be less effective than the 'I'll grind out a result against you'.

If United scored more than Liverpool this may have been relevant. Liverpool have scored 10 goals more, and conceded 11 goals more.

Utd had this attitude under Fergie, we'll score more than the opposition, and it was good to have that, Fergie could also win ugly too, something Liverpool need if they are serious about winning titles

Jose tactic was never that and to be honest I would have preferred to have Jose at Utd the minute Fergie stepped down, as it was, Utd ended up with the choosen one and a bit like Liverpool, a lot of managers came into the club after the greats had stepped down and failed to bring the club back to the heights of the past...

But its the boring versus the exciting, I'll take exciting..... and silverware please  ;) ;)