Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: LeoMc on October 06, 2012, 09:04:59 PM
Quote from: bannside on October 06, 2012, 08:43:54 AM
I know the whole story here lads but from the other way round. Shane Finnegan, the reciever is a close relation, and the extent, dedication and absolute committment to making this work from Joe Brollys end was unbelievable.

Shane Finnegan was a county minor for Antrim 22 years ago and picked up a kidney injury that year and has not played since. His two brothers Greg and Donagh played for St Pauls and Antrim for many years, and Shane was destined for great things too.

The efforts Shane has gone to to get donors, and then get a correct blood match (which was the very hard bit) was a long heartbreaking journey. The physical and mental torture involvedcannot be properly explained. Shane couldnt pass urine. He peed for the first time in many years yesterday.

I wont spoil the story which hopefully will appear in the media once the two guys get out of hospital. The great news is the operation looks to have been a real success. Joe has taken two months off work to make this happen, and was the driver all along since he first heard about Shanes condition.

Will always hold him in high esteem after this. Delighted for Shane as well - his life can get back to normality again.

Lets not forget that Joe is self employed. If a barrister is not in court he is not earning money, not as big a sacrifice as giving one of his kidneys, but giving up 2 months earnings on top of it adds a bit to Joes sacrifice.

That said, losing 2 months wages pales in significance when compared to losing a kidney.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

crossfire

Fair play to you Joe

Tony Baloney

It is some gesture alright as there is the obvious risk of the donor developing kidney issues in later life and not having a ready standby. Big balls.

babarino

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 06, 2012, 11:11:52 PM
As a pundit he is someone who could be shot with a ball of his own shite over and over again.

As an everyday person though there's not many other acts of selflessness you can do at least if you're not dead from doing so. A brilliant gesture.

Agree with your summation of his punditry, and yes, fairs dues, it was a very decent deed.

balladmaker

Unbelievable gesture by anyone's standards, takes a very special person to choose to donate one of their organs, not too many would have the bottle to do what Joe has done in this situation ... unreal is an understatement!

Pangurban

A genuine candidate for Irishman of the year

RMDrive

It's an absolutely brilliant story and it would do your heart good to think that there are decent skins like that out there in the world.

I think it's also important to praise his wife and brothers who were also willing to donate, but I suppose the fact that Joe was a relative stranger makes it even more fantastic.

quit yo jibbajabba

'the taj mahal of kidneys' ;D

quality. great story. well played joe

Milltown Row2

I've always liked Joes look on the game, he's not a man that sits on the fence and he purposely winds people up, far better than any of the other boys
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lawnseed

i've met joe a couple of times and had a drink with him before the aif in 2002 when he was on his way to rte. hes a great man for a bit of craic. this kidney donation shows him in a completely different light. this is a very brave act hard enough for someone whos related to you never mind anyone else. very manly, a true friend. he'll be full of craic about this and make light of it, but its a great thing to do.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

5 Sams

I like Brolly. Years ago we were sitting outside Cutter's Wharf on a lovely summers evening. Mate of mine from Tyrone came back from the bar with a round and said out loud.."that wee wnaker Joe Brolly's in there. I'm gonna fcuk him into the Lagan." Next thing Brolly arrives out with a tray full of drink for 3 or 4 women companions at the next table to us who had obviously heard what our Tyrone friend said. They made a point of telling him that he had a fan at the next table. He came over and had the banter and was great crack all night. Sound bloke.
The Aristocrat Years

Orior

Fair play to Joe Brolly.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Windmill abu

QuoteWhat Joe has done is one of the most selfless acts any person could do for another. As the saying goes, to save the life of one man is to save all of humanity.

What Joe has done makes us all proud to be part of the GAA community

That his mother comes from Tyrone makes us even prouder and explains the altruism
Never underestimate the power of complaining

blanketattack

I've often planned to have him wake up in a bath of ice with 2 kidney sized holes either side of his belly, but the fact that he did it of his own volition to a cousin he hardly knows shows great generousity, especially when you consider that on average, donating a kidney removes 10 years off your life.